Expectations for the NEW album

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Expectations for the NEW album

Postby mhnso » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:29 am

There is a bit of a hype goin on now that I rarely experienced when it comes to a new Macca release - -at least not in a long time.
Paul Epworth -one of the producers of Maccas NEW album said this in an recent interview in Evenings Standard
"And then he plays me, at ear-zinging volume, one of the songs he’s written and recorded with Paul McCartney for his next album. It’s called ‘Struggle’, and sounds like Macca’s greatest non-Beatles song. . ‘It could be a defining statement for him,’ Epworth says of their four-song collaboration, ‘especially [considering] where he is in his career…"
Also saw an intewiew with Ronson - he said that one of the songs he recorded with Macca -Life of a partygirl won t be on the album but another one Alligator will-a track he described as rather "hard". There is mentioning about some other apparently great song called Hosannah.
So we have the NEWsingle that divides the listen -me find it spectacular -some don t. The reviews and reactions has been more on the positive side though,(400000 hits youtube first day)
We have all kind of buzz from producers and Paul himself saying this will be a special one - even rank it up there with his and Beatles greatest work. Now also people from the outside start to hear songs and really make their thumbs up -some calling it the best they ever heard from Macca
According to Paul none of the tracks sound like NEW(the single) - some - the Epworth ones were improvised-and according to producer could be a defining statement for Paul.
Paul also said in yesterdays radiointerwiew that he will rehearse the new album with his band and actually considering doing the whole album in a live setting.
Whatever will be will be but I can t really remember this kind of buzz and talk about an upcoming Paul album. Makes me slightly nervous but also exited. Can it really be that Macca at 71 has created a true gem or is it just hype. How do y'all feel about all this. Am I the only nervous person here?
Last edited by mhnso on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Expectations for the NEW album

Postby lobbybobby » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:03 am

Even if it's the greatest thing he's ever recorded, there will be the usual suspects who say things like "his voice isn't strong enough", the lyrics go nowhere", etc. So I look forward to it as I do every new release. I play a trick on myself by pretending each new release was made just for me, and to hell with the critics.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bravefan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:54 am

Yes, I'm a little nervous. I really hope it's not hype. I keep hoping for that late career defining moment and hope this is it. Regardless of that I'm still looking forward to the release.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby savillerowdie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:14 pm

I hope the hype is warranted. Not like advance hype of Off The Ground being his best work since the White Album. Talk about disappointment.

In any event, I'm positive there will be at least a few very good to excellent Macca tunes coming out of this and, in this day and age, that may be enough. Anything more is gravy.....I'd love me some gravy, though.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:07 pm

like gravy down to the last drop, i keep moppin it up moppin it up
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:24 pm

I have 2 very embarrassing questions to ask, this is despite the fact I've (I think) been following all this news rather closely over the last few days, and the heavy promotion around the word "New"-

1) Is this new song that's on Youtube actually called "New"?

2) Is that also the title of the new album, or is that called something different?

There, I've dared to ask, and now I feel stupid... :oops:
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:03 am

Yes, it would seem the song is called "New" and the album is called "New".
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:08 am

I like New, I´m sure it will be a great album ^:)^ I hope that there are many different styles on it
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:06 am

Me like the NEW single to and feel confident that the new album will contain good material for diehardmaccafans like me..but the hype and buzz that talks about his best, defining moments etc makes me a little bit nervous to. I mean no one expects Paul do deliver a new Revolver or even Band on the Run at this stage of his career -but that is the comparisons the man himself and insiders actually are spreading to the world right now. Time will tell.

By the way I am usually the first person who point out that taste is subjective and what we hear is all personal. But this time is beyond me that some of the other hardcoremaccafans here doesn't seem to enjoy this NEW single. It was a long time ago our hero released something so clearly mccartnesque than this one - in a positive way. He even outmccartnesque himself this time. But that s life. Unless there is something wrong with their ears-sorry mr H :-D
This little video I also posted somewhere else clearly proves my point about this NEW one
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/521fc4 ... -glenn.php
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:15 pm

i can only speak for myself...and upon more listenings, have not yet changed my mind:

i simply don't find this song to be very original or inventive...i think it covers alot of ground he's done before, even recently, without adding anything new that sparkles...shines...or jumps off the page and grabs me...simple as that

but i'm glad others, like you M, are finding this a gem...more power to ya...

for me it is an average song at best...i don't hate it...i don't despise it...it does not diminish the eager anticipation or great hopes i have for the album: every album has it's moments of not-quite-100% for each of us...so far, that is what this one does for me...

i am a bit lost on how so many are head over heels in love with it...can't say i see the fervor...to me, it's highly repetative and he did far better better with sort of thing on MAF - for me, so far, a far more inventive dip of the artistic brush; so far, this song in no way for me is as good as any of those tracks...who knows, maybe with time i'll feel differently

i've no doubts at the variety of styles and approaches that will be utilized on the album: for me, that is a macca trademark and i see no reason why he'd change that particular stripe now...

some people like 'temporary secretary'...some people love it...some loathe it...the same can be said for almost any song off any album...some may see each song as a bit of creative genius...some will wonder what our lad was smoking...that's all that's going on here...it did not, or at least does not yet, fill the high standard i've come to expect...and i just can't see how/why it could possibly fill that void for any discerning music fiend...

but, to each his own...again, glad you're down with that sickness

for me ??

it ain't bad...it's just not great...while alotta y'all are jumping through hoops and shouting it's glories...i'm just kinda sitting there, clapping lightly, smiling politely and wondering what the heck all the over-the-top fuss is about...

i'm sure alot of you felt the exact same way about the album version of 'coming up' which, by my estimation, flays this thing to a limpid pulp without even trying

ah, well.....to each his own...right ?
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions