Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul the vocalist - when did he peak

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:51 am

efghijiloveyou wrote:Yeah, H in regards to the NYC album, I have heard many a Macca fan bemoaning the dirty rotten autotuning on that one. Frankly, I don't notice anything out of the ordinary. :-??

Careful or we'll get into this debate again. If you can't hear auto-tune, more power to you. But it's very obviously used all over the place, so much so that some of you think that's just the vocal effect used or something. He sounds like super paul, never missing a note. It's ridiculous and I think one of the big reasons so many of you are stunned at how old he sounds now--ancient when compared to his 2009 auto tuned self!
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 pm

well...i do not hear autotune all over the place; i hear a guy whose vocal range fairly well matches all of the performances he was giving at that time...

and none of us, who've actually stuck it out through the last 5-10 years have ever said we're 'stunned' now by his voice...

in fact...we have discussed it (the voice) and all its' weakness' quite often...on pretty much all the discussions about Chaos...MAF...Kisses...and about all the live concerts/songs/bits during this entire time...

yes, actually....we've all discussed it, ad infinitum...

nope...none of us are stunned...more like upfront and sadly realistic
Last edited by mr h atom on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Littlelamb, I wasn't interested in a debate about whether or not I noticed autotuning on NYC. Point of fact is I don't much care.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:54 am

All you have to do is compare it with the letterman show from the same week--the difference is stunning in terms of power, consistency, and tune. My point more broadly is that in 2009, he had a better voice than now but much, much weaker than it sounds on Live in New York (because it's auto tuned).

Anyway, I thought he sounded great on Kimmel. His voice is weathered but the band plays a bit rawer and more interestingly these days. New, in particular, sounded great. Save us sounded better in Saturday.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby joefig66 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:51 am

I'm just trying to get used to the bird like squacking noise he makes in Save Us. Kind of funny.
joefig66

Postby gkmacca » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:34 am

mr h atom wrote:i'd love to agree, GKM...but i can't

alot of die hard, true-blue fans have noticed a discernable drop in voice quality for some time now: the real damage was done after he stopped touring, after the BTTE era...when he just did not utilize/exercise the vocal chords in a manner that needs to be done to keep them in best, 2-3 hour concert-style shape.

there was muy discussion about the sad shape of his voice at the start of the FITD tour...and he's never fully recovered from that laxness. if you don't fully exercise the muscle..it relaxes too much and will never be the same again.

as well...he just took off some bit of time a year or two ago to do just as you've suggested and the return voice, while not bad, is not all that much better.

it is age, not fickle fans, that is his biggest barrier now...and not much is going to change that, i'm afraid

I don't think we disagree too much. Too much touring shreds his voice, and too much rest weakens it, too. He just tours SO much these days that his voice is far worse than it could be.
gkmacca

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:44 am

def agreed :sad:
mr h atom

Postby chris » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 pm

even at his current age...he is capable of great vocal moments. he had a few on MAF. i'm hoping he's got a few magical moments, vocally left in him. his voice certainly sounds older. that's okay...it is. but i'd be more surprised if he didn't have a great vocal moment or two than if he did. I still have my paulie expectations.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 pm

i certainly hope i haven't given the wrong impression; as this is a studio effort, i expect nothing but his best that he can offer, without unusual studio trickery, at this time...and i have no doubts that is what we'll get...

however...it just plainly should not be overlooked...and 'new' the single bears it out way too clearly...the days of a sort of pristineness...well...those days may be done

and i am more than good with that..heck, the man is 70+..i'm not in the slightest bit perturbed if the age comes through..

actually..it's more like, who frikkin' cares...as long as he loves doing this, and puts his heart and soul into it...i could give a rats patootie how he sounds
mr h atom

Postby bravefan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:50 am

I won't go quite that far. I really hope he sounds good. The concert I saw he did really well except for Here Today. I know the age is going to come through in his singing. It has to. Having followed his career and appreciated his music I'm ok with that ( like I have a choice anyway). We've grown older together. I can't do the things I could when I was thirty. Still I'm looking forward to the release day. I'm thinking about the deluxe copy to get the extra songs.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions