Macca with Nirvana- sooo great

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Macca with Nirvana- sooo great

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

ah, yes...radio play...

i can 'member...backindaday...when FITD was just out...

and the man was touring...

once in a while i'd hear 'my brave face' but that was it...

frustrating...

but, i was also a rather big college radio fan...back when that actually meant something...
and our paulie was deep into having a significant amount of notice in those circles that much of that album was in collaboration with one declan mcmanus...

and declan was one of their gods, so...alot of the college radio stations were playing the heck outta FITD...

just goes to show...one poor, wee ol' fashiony macca might not amount to all that much to too many anymore...but pair him w/a current 'god' ..?? and he's radio gold !
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:06 pm

getting...somewhat of a regular radio rotaton here. but more importantly it has people talking about him again. often when the radio plays the song...the story of how the song evolved by the dj often goes on longer than the song itself. i like hearing about paulie on the radio.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Awesoman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:51 am

jgkojak wrote:What do I think Paul should have played?

I think he should have trotted SOMETHING out more appropriate to the occasion -

Maybe Pipes of Peace? That would be interesting to hear live.

Not exactly sure what "Pipes of Peace" has to do with anything; this was a benefit concert for victims of a hurricane, not a war. :wink: "Calico Skies" might have worked a little bitter. That being said, when the crowd is waiting until 1:30 in the morning to see you perform a short setlist, they're hoping for some MEATY selections (even from a vegetarian like Paul...zing!), not some forgotten chestnuts. I have no problem with an artist taking risks with the setlist, and McCartney certainly did. But you always have to consider the kind of crowd you're playing for; and these type of benefit concerts do command bringing out at least a few heavyweight songs.
Awesoman

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:56 pm

well...color me lost...but, isn't 'calico skies' basically an anti-war song, too ??? :wink:

he shoulda just done a great big sing-a-long of 'we all stand together'

...coulda had barney and rupert up there dancing along...getting waves of comforting hugs rollin' thru the audience

c'mon, everybody... i love you, you love me, we're a great big family :YMHUG:
mr h atom

Postby Awesoman » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:39 am

mr h atom wrote:well...color me lost...but, isn't 'calico skies' basically an anti-war song, too ??? :wink:

Yeah it is to some degree, but he wrote it during a hurricane when his power was out. Here's a quote from him:

"Bob, the hurricane, knocked out all the power; it was all candle-light, cooking on a woodfire. Very primitive, but we like that enforced simplicity. I couldn't play records, so I made up little acoustic pieces. This was one of them - it's a primitive little powercut memory."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_Skies
Awesoman

Postby mr h atom » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:56 pm

i remember hearing/reading something about that...thanks
mr h atom

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions