Baby´s Request

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Baby´s Request

Postby EddieV » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:14 am

Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Baby´s Request

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks Eddie! It's funny. This is quite good, but it actually just proves the point that remakes by the same artist never improve on the original. I was excited when I heard he was redoing this but I'm now fine it was left off the album.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:58 am

what ?!?!

are you nuts !!??!!

this is excellent !!!!!!

when it hit 2:43....and seemed to be over....but the timestamp said another minute ???

...and then it kicks into that outro...FUDGESICKLES, PEEPS !!!!!!!

is it better than the original...probably not...BUT IT IS IN NO WAY A LESSER EFFORT !!!!

this is, of course, solely my hunble opinion and, as such, is not meant in any way to besmirch the dignity or honor of such a learned one as friend LLD...even if he/she is completely daft ! :-D

eddie gets the hero of the day award... :cheers
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 am

Where exactly do we disagree? Not sure our opinions differ other than in enthusiasm. BTW: check out the nytimes review of KOTB. Beautiful stuff.
Last edited by little lamb dragonfly on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:24 am

for the most part, lld, you're right...this is only a minor matter of enthusiasm...mayhap you missed my (near usual) weak attempt at bombastic humor

but...to be clear, while you were 'excited' to hear of him tackling this piece, you ended up thinking it was only 'quite good'...but glad, in the end that it would be left off the final cut...

i was intrigued by the idea that he might attempt one or more of his old songs, including this one...expressing, on another page that, if done right, it would tell me everything i need to know about where his head and his heart were while making this album: hearing this song/remake, along with everything else...it is clear to me that he was 100% on target

at this point, i consider this 'remake' to be so good, i'm left kind of sad that anyone who buys the regular disc will miss out on this...that's a bit more than a slight difference in enthusiasm.

if we get lucky enough to have new fans become intrigued, or better yet, fall in love with mccartney music because of this new album...and if they then found out that this over 30 year old song (had it been included on the regular version ) originated from a previous album...think of the artistic interest it would bring to his previous works...
mr h atom

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:37 am

I don't think this album will win him many new fans, though it may bring back boomers (like my parents) who couldn't get into the (amazing) fireman album or even Memory Almost Full. I am happy he remade the song and am definitely thrilled we have it, but I like that the album is all "new" songs that he hasn't tackled before.

Oh, and I listened to Baby's Request again and I agree: it is great.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:40 am

i knew i'd see things your way :wink:
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Babys request is a song that I hardly took any notice of - saw it more as a gimmick when Back to the egg first hit my ears in the late seventies. It wasn t until two or three years ago I finally discovered that this song is a very good one in it s genre. Beatiful melody. Hard to compare the two versions but the new one has a little bit of a"truer" jazzfeel than the original. Glad Paul made a new version it s about time for the old man to discover his old work himself. By the way I am not sure I mentioned that KONTB is a very nice album to listen to -as some rewiew put it - easy listening in the best possible way..
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm

mhnso wrote:. Glad Paul made a new version it s about time for the old man to discover his old work himself.

i agree wholeheartedly. i wouldn't mind him re-doing a lot of his back catalog.

and is it me? or does his voice sound fabulous?

and just to clarify. honorable mr h, you have never...as in never, ever had a weak attempt at bombastic humor. you are 110% effort, my brother. always have been. i feel i can speak for all of us when i say that we wouldn't have it any other way. :salute
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:15 am

awww... :oops: ...shucks, my brutha...just for that, i might have to lay off the cubs jokes for awhile... :-D ...might :wink:
mr h atom

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions