New McCartney album, "My Valentine", scheduled for Feb 7

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: New McCartney album, "My Valentine", scheduled for Feb 7

Postby jgkojak » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:31 am

Whats wrong with you people?

Based on the My Valentine song, this is going to be a gem.

And if the rest is as good, Paul will have shown up Rod Stewart as the hack that he is.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jeremy K2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 pm

Couldn't agree more. My Valentine is in my opinion already a classic!
Extremely melodic and well-crafted. A beautiful tune.

I know all the songs listed as the possible track list and they are all wonderful pieces.

Those saying why is he making this type of album I don't understand your critiicism! - ANSWER: because he's never put an album out like this before.

If he performs the other tracks with the same elegance and style then this abum will indeed become a classic - the question will be though... how long will the public take to come to this realisation. I hope having Stevie Wonder and Clapton on the album help it sell.

I can barely wait for this release. I feel confident those who appreciate songs that are very well constructed and arranged are in for a real treat. :-h
Jeremy K2

Postby mr h atom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:08 pm

i bow ^:)^ to the superior intelligence of jg !!

if this song is representative of the new album, it'll be a stunner

and that track list...one can hope, right ?

i was interested before...entirely eager now

and to those whining about this not being a R&R album...get the freak over it, already...nothing was promised by anyone anywhere, except that he was working on stuff, including this....
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:20 pm

If past history proves anything, he'll have another album out soon enough, but I'm looking forward to this one.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:30 am

Could t agree more. My Valentine is a great song in the grand tradition of the songwriters that originally was the inpiration of both Lennon and Mccartney. What s really stunning about this song is the melody-it feels brand new but also familiar and has all the trademark of a truly GREAT Mccartney composition. The other stunning thing is the arrangement with Claptons lyrical guitar upfront, whispering drums and a very tasty stringarrangement. The third stunning part is Maccas singing. His voice has lost some of the clearness and range but has gained a timbre of maturity and experience that fits this genre more than anything. The lyrics might be a bit on the simple side but continious listening has made me realize they are rather effective showing love as THE one saving grace out of sadness. And in fact this is a rather sad song even with the optimistic lyrics.
As a teaser for the new album nothing could have been better than this beatiful song that if not anything else, shows that Pauls still has some great songs in him.
The songlist and musicians playing on this album makes me look forward to listening to it all - this album could be an instant classic if the rest holds up to the quality of this song. The other original song on the album seems to be a collabration with Stevie Wonder -also a promising venture but personally I look forward mostly to hear what Diana Krall and her band can do - they are great musicians that are used to this genre and will add a touch of real class to the whole thing. Guess Paul and Diana are friends throug Elvis Costello , one of the very few artists that actually can give Paul a match when it comes to versatility.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mhnso » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:37 am

Didn t really like these lyrics at first but now I have actually changed my mind - just like the song they are simple, spare and with an underlying sadness far from the silly love songs of youth

Paul McCartney – My Valentine Lyrics
what if it rained?
we didn’t care
she said that someday soon
the sun was gonna shine.
and she was right,
this love of mine,
my valentine

as days and nights,
would pass me by
i tell myself that i was waiting for a sign
then she appeared,
a love so fine,
my valentine

and i will love her for life
and i will never let a day go by
without remembering the reasons why
she makes me certain
that i can fly

and so i do,
without a care
i know that someday soon the sun is gonna shine
and she’ll be there
this love of mine
my valentine
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby bravefan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Had to listen to the song a couple of times. It is a really nice tune, just not in the genre we're used to. Give it a chance and you might be pleasantly surprised. I sent the link of this tune to a friend who isn't a Macca fan. She absolutely loved it. Looking forward to Feb. 7. I'll make the purchase and drive around listening. Should be a great day.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccafan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 pm

My Valentine is absolutely fantastic!!

This song is so silky smooth, so romantic, and McCartney's vocals are perfect for this type of music! I love Eric Claptons guitar work.

I don't understand why some people are so upset, this is just one album and McCartney will be right back to rocking?

I can't wait for this release, I can already invision many relaxing afternoons listening to this very tasteful, jazzy, calming music.

Once again McCartney showing how versatile he is, I keep saying over and over that Paul McCartney is so much more than just a Beatle!!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby edrebber » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:52 pm

I enjoyed My Valentine. I definitely want to hear the rest of the album.
edrebber

Postby noladillon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:18 am

The full album has already leaked and been quickly pulled off of youtube, but I've heard it. First off, it is not called My Valentine but the title of the album is Kisses On The Bottom. From a line in the opening song, Fats Waller standard 'Im Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter'. The entire album has a laid back jazzy sound to it. Very strong jazz backing by Diana Krall's band with occasional restrained strings added on some songs. No big band or horns. No duets. Diana only plays piano throughout, Eric Clapton acoustic guitar on 'My Valentine' and Stevie Wonder harmonica on 'Only Our Heart's. The range of his voice is certainly more limited, but I think the overall song selections fit McCartney's voice fairly well, although I expect some bitching about his voice. Tommy LiPuma seems to have done a good job at getting him to put more emotion in his voice than I usually hear, especially on the more tender numbers, and his inflection is really good. Qualities that have carried many a jazz and blues singer along well past their vocal prime. I really like the song selections. I was familiar with about half of them, but none of them are standards that have been done to death. Of the songs I've heard before he really does a great job on 'Ac-Cent-Tuchu-Ate The Positive' and 'Get Yourself Another Fool'. I LOVE 'The Inch Worm', thought I would hate it. That could be a love it or hate it song for fans. Very sweetly done, sparse piano, guitar, brushes with a small children's choir. 'Bye Bye Blackbird' is slowed down quite a bit from the tempo I'm used to hearing it and i think it works quite nicely. Standouts of the songs I was not familiar with would be 'More I Cannot Wish You', his voice is wonderful and it is a great song. 'We Three' is also a great song I've never heard before. I also feel the two new songs fit in nicely with the vibe and feel of the album, much like the new songs on Run Devil Run blended in well. With all that said I must say that along with being a huge McCartney fan I am also a hug fan of traditional jazz and blues vocalists. I am very familiar with the producer and many of the jazz musicians who played on this record. While this plays right into my hands I'm not sure the typical McCartney fan will go for it. And since he didn't play it safe by picking song choices that everyone is instantly familiar with I doubt he will sell boatloads of his standards album like Rod Steward did. I think music critics may like this more than Rod's efforts though. We shall see.
noladillon

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions