Buddy tribute - not so easy after all

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Buddy tribute - not so easy after all

Postby Jeremy K2 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi All

Being both a McCartney and Buddy Holly fan I was very keen to buy the new tribute album where Paul sings
'It's So Easy'. Sadly I found Paul's singing dreadful on this cd :sad: . I have been a huge fan of Paul as a rocker, and especially regarded his 'Run Devil Run' album as an absoulte gem. Songs like 'Junior's farm' etc... prove he can rock with the best of them. But sadly I am now worried his voice no longer has the capacity to handle such numbers. On the tribute album he sounds like h'es valiantly trying to rock as hard as possible, but this just creates a
very poor result. He vocals are even distorted in some parts.

I am a Paul fan not a basher but I just had to mention this because I'm worried what future albums (including the rumoured one with Diana Krall) may turn out if his voice deterioates further. I'd rather Paul go out on a high then be heavily criticised on any future rock/pop album. However, it is possible that this was just a one off poor performance and a future album will be just as wonderful as the last few have been.

I'd like people to listen to this tribute track and offer their opinions. Am I being too harsh?

An album with Krall might actually be a good idea as those classic songs from the American songbook would require great phrasing and expression and not need a rock n' roll vocal. I also think their voices would blend well.

I actually enjoyed his duet with Tony Bennett. A worn, fragile voice can actually work well with some songs as it can bring a gentlness or a sensitive fragility to bear. But can such a voice continue to belt out rockier numbers? :-??

hhhmmmmmmmmmm????
Jeremy K2

Re: Buddy tribute - not so easy after all

Postby gjh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 pm

i agree with you..we all love Paul but the voice does suffer somewhat on the edgier tunes
i think its a matter of finding the right songs to fit the voice now
didn't care to much for the rendition of "its so easy"
gjh

Postby chris » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:33 pm

interesting take. at his age, he no doubt cannot sing and yell on his rockers like he used to...but in fairness, who expects him to?

i've heard the song, and in a screaming your face off kind of way...i sort of like it. i don't think paul ever releases a song without at least hearing it first. so, if he listened to it and ok'd its release...then thats how he wanted it to sound...probably.

and for what it's worth, i've read several reviews of that buddy holly album. and they've all said paul's song is the highlight.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gjh » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 pm

chris wrote:interesting take. at his age, he no doubt cannot sing and yell on his rockers like he used to...but in fairness, who expects him to?

i've heard the song, and in a screaming your face off kind of way...i sort of like it. i don't think paul ever releases a song without at least hearing it first. so, if he listened to it and ok'd its release...then thats how he wanted it to sound...probably.

and for what it's worth, i've read several reviews of that buddy holly album. and they've all said paul's song is the highlight.

i don't believe many people expect him to
rather to just stay within his range..which does falter with any aging musician
but thats just my opinion
(:
gjh

Postby Charlie22668 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Not a big fan of Paul's version either. The highlights on that cd for me are Patti Smith's "Words of Love" and My Morning Jacket's "True Love Ways".
Charlie22668

Postby mr h atom » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:55 pm

i'm gonna hang w' the big c on this one: i, too, heard the song, liked it and thought it had a jangly, 'highway' sort of vibe that i'm sure was on purpose and that i found rather refreshing

and anyone paying even the most minute of attention knows that the man can still belt out a song, in a variety of styles, if need be...um, see almost any concert footage

and, finally, i too, remember seeing/reading some reviews, most of which, if my aged memory serves, praised the performanceas one of the highlights, as well...

but, like so many things, to each his own
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:37 am

I acyually like the track a bit. Concerning Maccas voice of course the age shows even if he still can do amazing thing with his voice. Probably not singing Oh Darling or Monkberry moon delight in the original way. The trick is being able to use the voice when the range changes and some of the strenght disapear. After the clips from recent tours Maccas voice is still an amazing tool concerning his age. I saw a wonderful concert with the great,at the time 74 year old Leopnard Cohen some years back. His voice was stronger than I ever heard it even if he never been a great singer inm the traditional way. Witnessed an 80-yearold BB King doing amazing things with both his voice and guitar etc.
So - as long as dear old Macca doesnt try to sound like he s twenty something it will be find and probably very suited for an standards album
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby pates78 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:55 pm

I love that version, but for those wanting the more straight-up cover version or "normal" one, it's available on itunes as a bonus track. it's also amazing.
pates78

Return to MACCA - all discussions