Respect for a Living Legend!

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Respect for a Living Legend!

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:08 am

Eddie V.

Do you watch TV? Back in the 1980's, on Sunday I believe, there was a program called "Murder, She Wrote". Angela Landsbury was the star of that show. She was also in the Disney movie "Bednobs and Broomsticks". I think that's what it was called. She also starred on Broadway and possibly on the London stage. I believe she was born in Britain.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:25 pm

i'd love to jump in and agree wholeheartedly w/brother chris & all the rest...however, i've 'heard' this same sort of snotty crap, on various radio stations, for too many years

when he toured in 89/90, a local station got hold of a bootleg of an earlier l.a. concert and repeatedly played the voice of some drunken tart (prob. girlfriend to the bootlegger: her voice wass so close to the mic) and passed it off as linda; since i had a copy of that bootleg, i called them on it - they just said they were just trying to have fun...

few years back macca started his tour in the US at the sun city stadium, in las vegas..and another local crew took on for days about how 'vegas-y' macca had finally become...then glowed wonderingly just a week or two later when sting opened his concert tour at the very same place

this sort of slight is not a once-in-a-while thing...radio dj's, with no sense of reality, pull this ***censored*** all the time

go ahead: be pissed..we all should be

but, at the same time...it is not the end of the world: at least we all now better
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mclarke825 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 am

The semi-resemblance between Paul McCartney and Angela Lansbury has been a running joke on Craig Ferguson's show for quite some time. (He also acknowledges a resemblance some have claimed between himself and Liza Minnelli.)

mr h atom,
I've heard that recording with "Linda" singing off key, and have frequently heard it explained that she couldn't hear the music because her monitor wasn't working, or something like that. I'd never heard that it wasn't even Linda! How did you find this out?
"I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned." --Unknown
mclarke825

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 am

the entire version of the concert i have is clearly recorded from the audience; not from the stage or any professional equipment

the voice is not amplified like the band, but next to the bootleggers mic: it's in the audience...

it does not sound at all like linda - on key or off,

at one point, the bootlegger 'shss' the singer, but, she's obviously inebriated and giggles

the radio station claimed that they 'found' her seperated track...that it was not meant to be played, but 'lost'...but clearly the sound level for mccartney and the band is far different from the singer purported to be linda

linda was not the greatest singer ever, but she wasn't the worst, either...

when i was in atlanta, for the FITD tour at the omni, i listened to a wide variety of radio...looking for a wide variety of macca being played up to the concert: my brothers insisted that that would not happen, that, beyond jet, botr and mia, there just wasn't much macca depth...in a big city like atlanta ?!?!!
the concert was, from what i saw, in my admittedly limited time there, treated rather offhandedly by the local media.

....on the way back from the concert, one station played the entire set list (cool !) but the DJ lamented that the audience just didn't seem to know or be that much into most of the new stuff...there was a pause and the other DJ said something like "well...we don't play alot of mccartney, how would they know ?'

and we could go on and on about how, during the much of the '80's & '90's (thanks elvis c !), it was easier to find a wide variety of macca on college radio than on regular, but...hey, who's counting the chickens when they've all since been long dead and fried !

..we all know how good the bloke is, right
mr h atom

Postby chris » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:56 pm

i am going to be honest, i've heard the linda sings tape, and i never knew it was from a bootlegger (i am, one naive bastardo)

a question for the honorable mr h, did it bother you then that linda was wrongly getting knocked? does it really bother you now that paul is being compared (looks wise) to ms lansbury? nothing wrong with whatever answer you put forth, of course...

to me, there are so many more important things to annoy me...traffic on the way to work...my satellite going out during a storm...mismatched socks...i mean, important things!

i used to be pretty defensive about paul and the beatles. i got over that. i figure...if they don't get it...they are losing out.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:13 pm

actually, i've laughed at most of it..could care less about all the paul is dead stuff (just bought the book 'paul is undead', can't wait to get around to it)

i only tend to get a wee bit irked if they keep on about it: a joke is one thing, but beating the dead horse until it's glue is another

i watch ferguson quite a bit, actually, and nothing he's done has ever bothered me: don't know this radio station, but there's a very good chance, if it's all handled right, i'd chuckle and guffaw

who knows...there could very well be a tape of linda out there that sucks real bad: one i haven't heard.
i just know that the boot i had certainly seemed more an audience member (the voice did not sound anything like any version of lindas voice i've ever heard: a little drunk, a little too 'sweet', a little too young for '89); that the radio station had/was playing the same thing (we compared notes); the band, in that semi-bad bootleg way, could be heard off in the distance, but this voice was right up close, and someone kept trying to get her to be quiet
i can't figure out why my boot (one of many i'm sure) would have only lindas feed as sounding live and the rest sounding like it's recorded from the audience (watch audience stuff on youtube...and you'll know what i mean)

my friends and i dissected that bit when i got the album, trying to figure it out...all agreed that it did not seem possible for it to be from the stage, but, hey...who knows...the station agreed they were not sure: they just thought it was funny, either way

we all now macca has taken his fair share of hits through the years..some earned, some not: i'm just saying that sometimes, it might be o.k. to be irked, that's all, big c

you know me, i luvs a good, bad..or even stinky joke...

why just the other post, someone said they didn't know heather mills had lent a hand in the making of 'freedom'...

and, well, i bet you can guess where i thought of going...if you need a leg up on this, i'll try... :salute
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:06 am

so curiosity got the best of me...i went to youtube...i looked up linda mccartney singing...i got two versions, both apparently from knebworth, of her... :oops:

ahem: if that is what you meant chris, %-( whew !

never heard that !! :shock:

that does, unfortunately, sound very much like ms.l :sad:

but...that is not what i had on record...i had an actual, full length concert, taped from the floor: mine was a far more distinctly different voice, with people talking and this girl singing along...not...that

don't know why i've never checked that out...will the wonders of the control room never cease... ~X(
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:51 am

According to Howard Sounes Fab ( a book witlh many flaws - the main that the author doesn t like or even understand Pauls music - but a very good source when it comes to things concerning the mans life) this bootleg were made buy one of the soundcrew and then bootlegged. Many people who knows things concerning sound have defended Linda saying that many a voices separated from the rest might sound a bit off.
Anyway - Linda was not a singer or musician - that was not the reason she toured with Paul . but she could sing in her own way and on many a wings tracks her harmonysinging adds something very good.
Remmember - I thinh 1971 -I experienced the first Wings incarnation during their Europe tour. Ine of my all time best rockn rollconcerts but with one ugly thing. People were actually booing and laughing when Linda had a solospot during I am our singer. So obviously Linda oayed a price for being in the band - something that really wasn t her own wish. But she was a vital part of the Wings sound for sure. THe later nonwingstour must have been harder for her to be a part of - they were slicker and they were not Wings
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:48 pm

we are veering off topic a bit, but that wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. and i know it's something i have mentioned before, but i agree with mhnso and mr h, linda was not a good singer...but her not-so-great singing became part of paul's post beatles sound somehow. and as great as his recent output of music has been lately, featuring some great writing, innovative producing, turn back the clock vocals, and experimental sounds, one thing his music will never feature again is linda's harmonizing vocals. and that...makes me sad. odd how something even i used to criticize, i now wish could happen, if just one more time.

and it wasn't my intention, mr h, to question your irk-ablility. or irk-ness. sometimes it isn't up to us what rubs us the wrong way. so...as long as i know you are the staunch defender of all things macca, strap on that cape, pull those boots up, and fly high, my brother...the world is a better place with you keeping a watchful eye out for it.

and mhnso, sir, i enjoy seeing your silly side. it's good to know that we can laugh about things that some may take a bit too seriously.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:33 pm

no prob, big c...

tell the truth, i've been ignorant of that linda tape..i've only been going by the concert lp i have...now, upon hearing that...i can see what others might have been having in mind when talking about this issue, however: having heard the off key bit, i'm a bit taken aback...

wings produced an awful lot of music in a very short time..for paul to find the time to (repeatedly) reconfigure (pull a very big rabbit out of a very small hat is more like it, IF that tape is truly indicative) lindas vocals and still find time to sleep or eat is amazing

that or, as mhnso pointed out, it may have been a fluke that, unfortunetly, proves the point

all this, no matter what, makes me respect the living legend even more
mr h atom

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions