Paul and Slash

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Paul and Slash

Postby EddieV » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:17 am

Why hasn´t Paul and Slash played together on Live And Let Die?? Just a thought. As a surprise or something?
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Paul and Slash

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Eddie V,

Why Slash? Why not Eddie Van Halen? Why not Jeff Beck? Why not, I can't think of his name, guitarist for Aerosmith? Why Slash?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Well, Slash did a remake of Live and Let Die with Guns and Roses many moons ago. It does seem kind of strange that Paulie hasn't used too many big named guitarists over the years though. Of course Clapton was on While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but that was George's call. David Gilmour has made a couple appearances as has Steve Miller if you want to put him in that category but on the whole it does seem as thought our macca likes to go with relative unknowns.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:44 am

Eric Clapton also played on one of Pauls - my opinion - worst ever recordings Freedom. Alxso Pete Townsend has been called in a couple of times Rockhestra theme, Angry.
Don t really think Paul need the guitarhero-thing in the music he has made - also Wings had some very talented guiytarplayers in Henry, Jimmy and Lawrence.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:57 am

Yeah, let's keep it a status quo. I agree. Paul really doesn't need any well recognized guitar players in his band. The ones he has now and the ones he has had over the years sound good to me but then I am not a guitar enthusiast. I like what I hear.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:48 pm

The band Paul has now is fantastic, probably the best group our kid has had since The Beats. Mhnso, I'll nominate Frozen Jap as one of his worst songs.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 pm

nothing wrong w/slash: very good axe-man...but pm has two great guitarists right now...maybe a special appearance ?

nothing wrong w/freedom; nice, anthemic song, misunderstood by most fans..misinterpreted by cynics

nothing wrong w/frozen jap; neat & complete synth doodlings that seem designed purely to do nothing more than bring a smile to those whose minds are as healthy as their bodies (i stole that line!)

if pm were to do something w/slash (or anyother guitarists) i'd rather see it as part of an extravagant R&R album: a duets, if you will...kinda like Govt Mule did w/bass players on their deepest end discs
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:56 am

Nothing wrong with frozen jap it s just a bit of silly craziness as sir Paul himself puts it. Freedom on the other hand - yes it was misinterpreted - but still in my humble opinion . it s a piece of embarassing ......chose words. Writing anthemic messagesongs was something Lennon could do Give peace a chance will live on forever. Freedom is nothing of the sort-actually I can t listen to that song without blushing. But alliall - we have the right to different taste and anyone who will take it away will have to answer. I will fight for my right to different taste
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:00 pm

i'd have loved, would still in fact love, to see paul play with slash.

while i absolutely love paul's current band, i have always wondered why he hasn't, in the past, chosen more accomplished musicians to play with. i was once at a local beatlefest, and ram drummer Denny Seiwell was a guest. there was the obligatory questions and answers period, where he was asked what it was like to record loup (first indian on the moon), he said it was the most fun he ever had recording anything. he went on to wonder how anyone had even known about that one, not even knowing (or, more likely, forgetting) that it had even been released. he then said something i'll never forget, he wondered, aloud...why paul was using musicians like him (and Henry McCullough)... when he could have been playing with the likes of eric clapton and phil collins. and that got me thinking, paul always played with relative unknowns...unlike john and george, who played with peers.

great musicians playing greatly can make you forget you are listening to a not-great song. i never once thought of eric clapton as a great songwriter, yet i have always loved his music. i think being a virtuoso can go a long way.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby thehud » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:30 pm

mhnso wrote:Eric Clapton also played on one of Pauls - my opinion - worst ever recordings Freedom. Alxso Pete Townsend has been called in a couple of times Rockhestra theme, Angry.
Don t really think Paul need the guitarhero-thing in the music he has made - also Wings had some very talented guiytarplayers in Henry, Jimmy and Lawrence.

Freedom is one of the greatest songs ever written, people just don't get it!
there is no such thing as a ' bad ' Paul McCartney album, period .
thehud

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions