Wouldn´t it be nice with a new album?

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Wouldn´t it be nice with a new album?

Postby mhnso » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:28 am

Reading Howard Sounes maccabiography Fabsometimes is a bit hard since the author neither particulary likes Pauls music or seems to understand it. With that said the book has some interesting reading -one concerning the endless recording and rerecording of press to play. Some of the people involved early in the project somehow regret they didn t stand up towards Pauls wishes to do endlessly rerecording of the songs. A rather frequent use of pot aparaenty made Paul a bit indesicive about the whole thing. I own a twocd bootleg
with the unreleased return to peppermint album and more bare versions of the press to play tracks. Those are so much better than the one that finally made it on the record. The same goes for some of the flowers in the dirt stuff. This one in particular - a GREAT song but overproduced on the final album. The first recording of the song is more bare, warm and has all the trademarks of a great maccatune. Never mind - what s done is done hopefully some of this stuff will someday be officually released.

Agre mr h atom that he made some adventurous things during these sessions and also some very good or great instrumental music. Don t know if I want his next to go that far what I long for is great melodies with lyrics that makes sense. I think macca still has some good melodies to come out with from a pit that never seems to dry
Some examples of great song from press to play flowers in the dirt era that never were officually released
Return to pepperland - lightweight but fun
Christian pop - wonderfulinstrumental that somehow found it s way to Liverpool oratorio
Yvonne - stunning popsong - one of the absolutely true gems from thevaults
Atlantic ocean - strange to hear Macca rap but the music is hypnotic
Squid - one of Pauls best ever instrumentals
Peacocks - another vey good instrumental
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:37 pm

dear paul...it is beyond time...time to put out one album per year, chock full of either brand new stuff, or, barring that...well past time to make 'cold cuts (pt 1 thru a zillion)' official yearly releases...

look at m's list: that's just the tip of the iceberg...so, please....put out the albums, once a year, with all the unreleased or 'b' side songs compiled in pristine, unmessed-around-with original version...before we all die with upcoming apocalypse... :sad:

...anything less will will drive our good friend m crazy with distractions, and i do not mean your wonderful song...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:06 am

Agree with you there mr h atom. Even thiugh it s fairly easy to find lot of unreleased stuff either on the net or obtaing bootlegs it s not really the same as arefully chosen and mastered officiallly releases. Don t reaaly know Maccas reason for not making either series like Dylan s brilliant bootleg series or isolated sets like Van Morrison or Bruce Springsteen. Maybe he don t like the stuff or find it unrepresentativedon t really know. O f course there are lot s of lesser stuff among the unreleased but also tons of good to great tracks. Some actually released as b-sides but who really listened or obtained these.
Take a song like Beatiful night - the released version on Flaming Pie is probably the better one with Martins Orchestrations, Ringos drumming and the wonderful coda but the full almost sevenminute unreleased version has a rawness and contains some of Pauls best ever vocalperfomances. Everyone deserves to hear this. Or the more unproduced version of move over busker - a true rockn roll gem compared to the overproduced sterile track that was released on press to play. Not to mention the costello,Mccartney demos. Costello himsel has said that Pauls vocal perfomance on the demo the lovers that never were belong to his topten ever. The list can go on and onand on
Personally I think that a carefully selected and varied doublecd of tracks like this would be a sensational release among the unitiated.
Let s hope that something happen - soon
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:20 pm

there was a moment, i believe on the 'put it there' video (is that what it was called...? can't remember...!) of paul & the el doing quite a different version of 'my brave face', too

all is good, all should be revealed...especially completed unreleased tracks

i'd much rather buy a disc or ten, then illegally download any day
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah mr h atom
Thetre should be official reöeases af the unreleased stuff. It s not true from Press to play a good song but a recording I can t listen to with the banging eighties drums, digitalsounding vocals etc etc. Horrible. The first recording of the song makes the song shine with vocal upfront no banging drum just beatiful Even some of the better Press tracks llike Footprints sound absol utely stunning almost in the Beatles calibre in the more spare recording
I deman official release of this and all other unreleased goods now Otherwise I, i....eh won t buy the deluxeedition of Wings at the speed at sound
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:40 pm

But you'll still buy Pipes of Peace though, right? Seriously, Yoko released the box set of unreleased Lennon material, Dylan's got his bootleg series...what in the world is a great businessman like Paulie thinking by leaving these songs to collect dust all these years while his original fans are getting old and starting to die off in some cases? Wouldn't it be wise to release this stuff while he could still reap sizeable profits? Does he think no one would want it?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:27 am

Of course Id get Pipes of peace. Started to like that album the last years. It s hard to tell why Macca doesn t make hus unreleased stuff available . Don t think it s anything to do with money - more about time and maybe a certaind doubt about the quality. One day it will be released but maybe it will take some more years. I mean tours, ballet, new albums, rereleases and Macca is gettin old. So we ll have to stick with the unofficial material for the time being
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:31 am

i'll cop the plea, gu'vna: i've, in the past, paid good $$ for bootleg macca stuff...
cold cuts...
the full mac2...
twin freaks...
a live set or two...but, in each case...

I WOULD HAVE DEFINATIVELY PREFERED BUYING A STUDIO COPY...

nowadays, one doesn't even need to pay...you can just snag most of it online somewhere...

but in all those instances: no $$ will go from my pocket anywhere near pauls...
now, granted, the dudes richer than snot....but, still, i figure: he made the stuff, i ought to pay him something for his troubles, right ?

and, you're right: some of us are dying off !
you'd think he'd at least be thinking of his kids trust funds ? :wink:

y'know...get it while you can !

i'm not sure i want to pay to watch macca dance about in pink tights (as someone recently mused), but i'd definately pay for a quality cd version of twin freaks, last flight or cold cuts!
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 am

I am such an idiot that I sometimes still actually pay for a bootleg - don t really know why. Prefer defintively officially released stuff not because of the moral issues but more because of packaging, soundquality and things like that. Sooner or later it will haooen
By the way I would pay a fortune to watch Macca dance in hisown ballet dressen in pink tights and some swanfeathers - "that would be something" as a great man once said
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 pm

I'd pay but only if Abe Laboriel (Paulie's voluminous drummer) also donned the pink tights.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions