Maccas lost gems-the best of the rest

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Maccas lost gems-the best of the rest

Postby mhnso » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:52 am

Paul has a huge backcatalogue which means there are lot s of gems that somehow seems a bit forgotten. Even on a site like this there are songs that are mentioned a lot more than others. Hera I have tried to create a list of nine such "lost gems". I could easily have made a totally different list but I have tried to avoid the obvious or songs that more often are mentioned here. Would be fun to hear what other people see as lost gems to. OK here I go.

Some people never know - This monsterballad from Wild Life would proudly have stood up on any Beatles album. Lovely melody, nice words and great singing

Dear Friend - Another one from Wild Life but I think recorded during Ram sessions. This is -for me-one of the tryue highlight in all of Maccas work-with or without the Beatles. Great words(aimed at John?), marvellous melody and the singing pianoplaying is nothing but genius. Not to mention the string/hornsarrangement

Love in song - From Venus and mars this slightly mysterious song(never figured out what it is about)has a hypnotic, haunting melody that I never forgot-even after this long time

Treat her gentle/Lonely old people- Also from Venus and Mars this one has a rather sad melody and very touching words. While Lennon and other of Maccas peers were out to save or change the word Mccartney showed his humanity this way instead"treat her gentle,treat her kind she doesn t know here own mind"

I m carrying - From London town this is another great ballad, a bit more folkish than the general Paulballad. Would have hold it s place on the white album for sure

Sweatest little show - From Pipes of Piece this one I didn t like at all when it arrived but now see it as a ver clever and fun musical pastische

Souvernir -from Flaming pie this is one of Pauls best soul/rock numbers

Your way - From driving rain. This little novelty sounds more like early Wings with it s gluelike,iresistible melody

Gratisas - the second part of the classical Ecc or meum. As Elvis Costello puts it. This piece of music belong to topten of Paul melodies. Give it a chance
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Maccas lost gems-the best of the rest

Postby EddieV » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 am

Only One More Kiss_ Love this little tune.

Magic_Beautiful song and lyrics

From A Lover To A Friend_ A fine piano Ballad

Try Not To Cry_ Off beat number

Backwards Travvelor
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 am

There you go - I agree on your choices most of all From a lover to a friend that also has some outstanding bassplaying. There are so many I have three more here
Lighthouse - from Electric argumenst- a bit folkish, a bit weird and a bit wonderful
HiHiHi -could be one of his alltime greatest rockn roll numbers - when I saw the firstincarnation of Wings back i 72 or something they actually played it twise. Why doesn t he nclude this one in his recent repertoire
Another day- Of course a big hit and on most compilations but still a very overlooked popmasterpiece of a kond they just doesn t make anymore
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby gjh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:46 am

heart of the country
hope of deliverance
footprints
heaven on a sunday
distractions
sombody who cares
every night
i've had enough
spin it on
arrow through me
these are just off the top of my head but of course we could go on and on
tracks i feel never got the recognition they deserve
so many great great songs...
gjh

Postby RobW » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Dear Boy
Little Lamb Dragonfly
Single Pigeon
Love Awake
Wanderlust
Through Our Love
It's Not True
My Brave Face
Down To The River
Little Willow
Young Boy
I Do
Lonesome Town
Anyway
Vintage Clothes
RobW

Postby steelyglen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Here's a few:

Somedays.

Waterfalls.

So Bad.

Daytime Nighttime Suffering.

Girls School.

I Lie Around.

The Mess.

Comfort Of Love.

The First Stone.

We Got Married.
steelyglen

Postby mr h atom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 pm

i'll give you a ring
rainclouds
flying to my home
long leather coat
big boys bickering
best friend
check my machine
monkberry moon delight
warm and beautiful
end of the end
the other me
average person
get out of my way

and, of course, possibly the single most overlooked great somg...ANGRY :-BD
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby bravefan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 am

I'd buy that CD in a second. I especially like Average person. Very underrated.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:17 am

So many great,for most people unknown songs mentioned here. When I started the thread I left out some songs like Little lamb dragonfly,wanderlust or the pound is sinking because I felt they were mentioned pretty often hetre.
There is no doubt that If one start to look at individuall songs Pauls backcatalogue is a truly remarkable work. There are also so many diggerent styles. And yes one more forgotten goodie

Little woman love - b-side to Mary had a little lamb also on some of the first reissues of Wild Life(I think) Anyway this is a truly great NewOrleans styled rocker with wonderful standup bass
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby gjh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:49 am

mhnso wrote:So many great,for most people unknown songs mentioned here. When I started the thread I left out some songs like Little lamb dragonfly,wanderlust or the pound is sinking because I felt they were mentioned pretty often hetre.
There is no doubt that If one start to look at individuall songs Pauls backcatalogue is a truly remarkable work. There are also so many diggerent styles. And yes one more forgotten goodie

Little woman love - b-side to Mary had a little lamb also on some of the first reissues of Wild Life(I think) Anyway this is a truly great NewOrleans styled rocker with wonderful standup bass

little woman love...great tune.As i read these listings i see so many i had just kinda forgotten about..
one more i had to mention..
"no values" off broadstreet
gjh

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions