Are we lucky to have Paul as a rockstar??

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Are we lucky to have Paul as a rockstar??

Postby EddieV » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:49 pm

What if he decided to just do classical music, would you still follow him??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Are we lucky to have Paul as a rockstar??

Postby mr h atom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:40 pm

i'm going to assume that by this you mean, what if he gave up being a rockstar to do just classical...as opposed to some wierd, alternate reality wherein he never made any rock music and had only done classical to begin with...

in which case...i would probably youtube (or find some way to listen to) each piece before i bought it...and, epending on how i felt about the individual piece: that would decide whether i would get it

i love classical music, especially music of the baroque era...on up through beethoven...on into mahler, with a smattering here and there after (and, for that matter, before: i do like a bit of earlier styles, as well) that...

some of pauls stuff i like quite a bit...others, meh

all of it is worthwhile, but, if my scarce entertainment dollars would pit a mccartney piece against, say, a beethoven that i do not have (i still have yet to get any of the piano sonatas or concertos :sad: ) it'd be tough, and ludwig would probably win...

okay - would

but, i do find his attempts, so far, to be of value and interest: enough so that i would not dismiss a career change...though, realistically, i would both not think that possible (look at billy joels attempt to tery that: i don't think maccas ego would allow that) and more likely that he would just alter his style as it is into something that he would find more artistically appealling
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby EddieV » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:33 am

Mr h atom that is what I meant. Just Paul doing classical stuff!!
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ProgRocker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:04 am

I personally like his classical music albums, so I would be fine with that.

"If music be the food of love; play on." - William Shakespeare
ProgRocker

Postby EddieV » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:56 am

ProgRocker wrote:I personally like his classical music albums, so I would be fine with that.

I really don´t find them very interessting. The one Ecco Cor Maum I think I heard once
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:23 pm

'ecco..' is o.k, 'liverpool..', too

but 'working classical' and, especially, 'standing stone', are both marvelous: s.s. has become one of my favorite pieces to read by

just my h.o.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby gjh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:25 pm

are we lucky to have Paul as a rock star..
the simple answer is "hell yes"!!...generations to come will listen to his music but we are all here now,with him in a way, watching his career unfold..and he's still going..pushing 70!!
but as we all know he is much more than just a rock star
his ventures into other musical genres is only a natural progression for a true artist
if he only did classical those of us who appreciate other forms of music would have found him..
what makes paul so great is his incredible diversity in all things music..from "monkeberry moon delight" to " standing stone"
now from what we understand is he's doing a standards album with Dianna Kraal and a garage rock album with David Groel
two somewhat opposite styles..
anyways yes!!!!! we are very fortunate to have him...period!!!!
:-D
gjh

Postby ganimed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:53 pm

I think a great part of his appeal is his voice, his hook lines in little guitar driven songs or piano ballads. If he goes only classical, all that is taken away.

I never cared much for his classical work this far. I prefer Bach and Beethoven. Let's face it, his classical tunes don't really shine.
ganimed

Postby EddieV » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:09 am

Could he take some of his classical stuff and make the into rock. You know he does this with Celebration, which he occasioanally plays at soundchecks??
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gjh » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:53 pm

EddieV wrote:Could he take some of his classical stuff and make the into rock. You know he does this with Celebration, which he occasioanally plays at soundchecks??

thats a really good point
i read an interview with David Bowie yrs ago and he mentioned to get ideas for songs he would steal little "hooks" and notes from Mozart symphonies
i know macca,if he felt so inclined could do the same..
but lets face it, he is a rocker and a balladeer first and foremost..i think his foray into classical was just something he wanted to do and wasn't to concerned with any commercial success or anything...just my opinion on that
gjh

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions