Macca -arranger and producer

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Macca -arranger and producer

Postby mhnso » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:20 am

One neglected side of Pauls great musical instincts is his ability to arrange and produce music. I think he needs other producers to get second opinions but when it comes to arranging, using the studio as an instrument he is more capable than most people.
Some examples
Abbey road medley-very much a collabration between Paul and George Martin to create these bits and oieces to the stunning masterpiece it is'
Ram - The arrangements and vocalharmonies on Ram are simple unique-sound nothing than any other album before or after
Little lamb Dragonfly -Denny Laine, Linda and Paul creates stunning harmonyvocals on many tracks none more lovely than this one. Pauls ability to arrange vocals are the mainreason tor this in my opinion
Band on the Run- The orchestraexposion before the fast part of the song is pure musical genius
Summer day song -the simple melody, electrictronic music and vocalharmonies makes this Mccartney 2 gem a true lost masterpiece
Wanderlust - the vocalarrangements and use of horns makes this one of my alltimefavourites of course the singing and melody also has something to do with that
Anyway - From Chaos this great track has an altogether stunning arrangement
Only mamma knows-the bridge between the slow almost classical start and rockn roll riff that is something not many people are capable of doing
and more and more.......
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Macca -arranger and producer

Postby EddieV » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:06 am

I read somewhere that Paul has so many songs and ideas in his head that it is unbelievable for us to comprehend
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:18 pm

I agree that Paul is a gifted producer (Those Were the Days, Come and Get It, most Wings)- but some of your examples are not accurate--
Band on the Run- The orchestraexposion before the fast part of the song is pure musical genius

That is the work of Toni Visconti - the orchestral arranger -
http://www.recordproducer.com/?a=116

Only mamma knows-the bridge between the slow almost classical start and rockn roll riff that is something not many people are capable of doing

That classical section was the work of producer David Kahne - who pretty much was left alone to work out arrangements and textures for songs on both MAF and Driving Rain
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mhnso » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 am

True but the orchestral bridge in Band on the Run was,as I understood,in Maccas head before Visconti arranged it. The same I think with the bridge on Only Mama knows. Paul doesn t read music so he can t do these thing himelf. What is farscinating though is the way he can arrange in his head. The trumpet on Penny Lane according to both George Martin and Macca was made up in Maccas head. So I guess we both have a point and some of the stuff I mentioned was collabrations
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jgkojak » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:31 pm

I read, and I can't find the link- that Visconti said the original BOTR tape had a gap between the mid section and final section, and that he worked up that orchestration to fill the gap - and that Paul had little input - just saying to do some sort of transition.

Likewise, I am positive the working method for Driving Rain and MAF was to record and then let Kahne play around with keyboard arrangements, etc. Kahne is actually a gifted keyboardist/arranger.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:44 pm

jgkojak wrote:I read, and I can't find the link- that Visconti said the original BOTR tape had a gap between the mid section and final section, and that he worked up that orchestration to fill the gap - and that Paul had little input - just saying to do some sort of transition.

Likewise, I am positive the working method for Driving Rain and MAF was to record and then let Kahne play around with keyboard arrangements, etc. Kahne is actually a gifted keyboardist/arranger.

this info was actually on the 25th anniversary remaster of band on the run bonus disc.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Return to MACCA - all discussions