Thoughts on new album

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Thoughts on new album

Postby EddieV » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:37 am

What are your thoughts on the new album with cover versions. Must say that I´m dissapointed, why releasing an album like that now?? Has he writers block?? Trying to buy some time???
With the amount of concerts played the last couple of years it is Okay that he haven´t had time to write new music.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Thoughts on new album

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm

maybe, and this might come as a bit of a shock, (because he isn't always known for this sort of thing)...maybe he's doing it solely because it is the one thing, right here and now, that he really wants to do...the one thing he feels a distinct passion for accomplishing.

quite an artistic strike for his own muse...unlike, y'know.... doing the expected.

besides...he's thinking/working towards that killer R'n'R/guitar album w/ dave grohl, right ?!??...(well, we can hope it comes true !)
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mhnso » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:01 am

Well I think h really want s to make this standrads album. Actually Im lookin forward to it think it s gonna be a real qualityproduct with Diana Krall and all. Paul recently said he had songs written just waitin for the time and producer to record them. Also music for a ballet in the pipeline.
So for a seventy year old he seems to be rather busy - maybe there will not be that many more albums
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby jgkojak » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

He's been talking about doing a standards album since back in the pre-Anthology time-frame - I believe I read that was on his plate as his next project after Flaming Pie - but when Linda died that got derailed and he put it on hold.

I'm happy to hear what he does with the project - though perhaps kinda wish he had tackled that when his voice was in its prime.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gjh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to a standards album from Paul
I'm curious about the selection he choses
He seems to gravitate towards melodic songs with somewhat obscure chord progressions and changes for example "Till there was you" and songs like that
Tho he never covered it I heard he loved the song "Those were the days" by Mary Hopkins I think it was?
I wasn't totally pleased with Run Devil Run and although it was still a good album I felt it was slightly over produced
The possible album with Dave Grohl sounds interesting..I hope his pipes are working well for that one..
:)
gjh

Postby bravefan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:53 pm

if he keeps touring don't look for the pipes to be working real well. Maybe if he takes an extended break.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby gjh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 pm

its true..the touring has gotta wreak havoc on the ol' voice...but really when you think about it its totally dependent on the song and what key its in
a lot of great singers don't have a huge range
he may have tracks already cut..who knows
gjh

Postby bravefan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:58 am

I really hope you're right. Whilei'd like a CD of original muic I still look forward to the standards CD. I just hope it's in the can already.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:20 pm

I was disappointed when I heard run Devil Run was going to be covers and, ok I don't listen to it as often as others, it really blows me away when I do listen to it. Standards though....... Slow boat to china was horrific if we're honest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKntv51pL4
As was room with a view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz7Q7WiY4EE . And he wasn't too fab on the tony bennett thing either. Its not his voice or anything, it just crooning doesn't suit him. I'm ready to be impressed though!
JimQ

Postby gjh » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:32 pm

JimQ wrote:I was disappointed when I heard run Devil Run was going to be covers and, ok I don't listen to it as often as others, it really blows me away when I do listen to it. Standards though....... Slow boat to china was horrific if we're honest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKntv51pL4
As was room with a view http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz7Q7WiY4EE . And he wasn't too fab on the tony bennett thing either. Its not his voice or anything, it just crooning doesn't suit him. I'm ready to be impressed though!

hey thanks for the links
I really think he could pull it off tho.He's wrote songs that are obvious influences from those time periods."babys request" off back to the egg and "honey pie" off the white album
i think the key here is what selection he choses .Its funny but i thought his rendition of "slow boat to china" wasn't that bad!!
gjh

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions