Hidden gems

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby George » Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:08 pm

That Would Be Something, Some People Never Know, Single Pigeon, Little Lamb Dragonfly, Mrs. Vandebilt, MAMUNIA, 1985, Love in Song,
Don't let it bring you down, Winter Rose, One of these Days, So Bad, FOOTPRINTS, Calico Skies... there are many. There are also several songs that have great bits - like "Pound is Sinking," the "hear me, my lover... your heart just wasn't in it" segment is beautiful. Great vocals.
George

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 6:41 am

quote:
Calico Skies - Great song! He knew Linda was dying when he wrote this..

I don't think so - I think this was written in 1992, actually, if I recall my liner notes correctly. I don't believe Linda was dying for THAT long.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:32 am

Right. In the liner notes, it said that the song was actually written after a horrible storm/hurricane around 1992. I think it was probably Hurricane Andrew? Some of us Americans might remember that one. But anyway, the song was inspired by the storm.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:32 am

I think it reads "Hurricane Bob" in the booklet for my edition.

The difference between genius and insanity is merely the difference between success and failure.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:55 am

Yeah, you're right. And it was in August, 1991 when Paul was staying on Long Island. It's a love song, sure, but it was inspired by the storm.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:58 am

Cheers for that - it was 'cos it cut all the power, so they had to make their own entertainment, which for Paul McCartney means . . . new songs! Yay! (Not cheering because of the hurricane, of course, just at Paul writing more quality music!)

Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:04 pm

Yeah. Tragedies are always like a double-edged sword for artists. I mean, of course it's terrible that the tragedy occurs, but at the same time, that provides inspiration to the artist to create some of their best material.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Jun 04, 2002 12:14 pm

quote:
Yeah. Tragedies are always like a double-edged sword for artists. I mean, of course it's terrible that the tragedy occurs, but at the same time, that provides inspiration to the artist to create some of their best material.

As an amateur songwriter myself, I agree with you whole-heartedly on that! A lot of the best stuff I've written has come about through unpleasant circumstances. And I can only think of one song that came about through something really good.

Liam OSM

Postby darkeyes » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:43 pm

Difficult to pick hidden gems...most of the stuff i listen to is hidden..that is to say..i grow tired of just "the hits"...

but if i had to choose 10...
Get Out of My Way
Winedark Open Sea
Calico Skies
Tug of War
Beware My Love
Motor of Love
Here Today
Only Love Remains
Letting Go
So Glad To See You Here
darkeyes

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:44 pm

I agree with every single one of those - except for the last one, but only 'cos I don't know it

Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions