Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby Awesoman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:05 pm

maccafan wrote:As I posted before, who knows if those same exact songs would of been a hit had McCartney recorded them alone!


As previously stated numerous times: McCartney's own solo tracks appear on Wings compilations. Why is this a sticking point? Because it jams a big fork in the road of your fluffy argument that Wings dramatically altered McCartney's sound. Exactly how significant was the Wings sound if McCartney himself seems to think that his own solo work (which had little to no involvement with the other band members) should fit alongside the band's music? While the other band members proved to be capable musicians, *none* of them came into their own. None of the other band members could write or sing anything that would advance the band's success; they just played well. None of the other band members really made a name for themselves or went on to do anything relevent post-Wings. It was *all* about McCartney. McCartney has proven that he can produce hits whether he records them with a band or entirely by himself. The other band members? Nope.

maccafan wrote:So those members of Wings brought more of a band sound to his work, more of a full rocking sound.


Yes, Wings proved to be an exceptional backing band for McCartney. Nothing more.
Awesoman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby Awesoman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:18 pm

mr h atom wrote:"your logic dictates that all it takes ..."

well... laz ...since the very quote you use lists more than that...
and since maccfan has listed other qualities often and before, all ignored....
that tells me, once again, that, in the marvelous world of the anti mccartney league, logic is a pretzel twisted w/o logic....but sprinkled with the poison of envy & half-baked with the hefty touch of leaden thought

what the he!! does that mean..!?!... :wink:


Mr. Atom, you have made several claims that Wings was more than a backing band but when challenged to back said claims up with any kind of evidence, you have provided...nothing. At least Maccafan is attempting to make a case here. Either contribute something useful to this discussion (like backing up your claims) or quit embarassing yourself, man.
Awesoman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:56 pm

Awe, awesomeman. You have made a lot of assumptions. You assume Paul had the only say of what goes on a compilation. I would suggest that Paul was upset at the suits at Capitol and EMI. Upset of them having too much control like what should be a single, what songs should be on an album and if a compilation should be released. His voice, his opinion was a very strong one, but didn't he leave Capitol, didn't he leave EMI. There must have been very good reasons why he was unhappy.
Mike Kovacich
Image
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
User avatar
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:00 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:20 am

It only took him what, 35 years to leave EMI....
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
User avatar
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:51 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby RickStark79 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:55 pm

mr h atom wrote:and THAT'S why he's called MACCA FAN !

all the others ...nattering nabobs of negativism !

:wink:


Actually, dearest Mr. H...me thinks that giving so much credit to Paul's backing band (Wings) is Anti-Paul
Image
No one understaaaaands...
User avatar
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 3561
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:10 am
Location: Roseville, Michigan

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:30 am

one could look at it that way, rick...but that would be the fatalistic, glass half full version...

i view it as a testament to his abilities as a collaborative, creative artist that to have, amidst the turnoil of the demise of his last band (with all the fireworks & clutter that came with all that), actually created a new band with a seperate, distinctive sound, to be a testament to his abilites

as to your ( & chris') query, awes: i have answered that by pointing to maccafans responses (and mikes'): i have, generally agreed with each and made a continued point of doing so..furthermore, i've repeatedly pointed to jubers comments: why should i have to keep saying the same things...i'm not changing my story, as some have, each time a new layer of thought enters the arena.

i've made references to past posts and discussions by myself and others that raise the very same ideas about Wings distinctive sound, that never touched on wings' possible inclusion to the HOF.
as you pointed out, we are all going around in circles: so, why should i have to keep re-iterating what i've said, maccafan has said...what mike has said..?

you see the glass half empty, i see it half full...
you speak derogatorially of the band, its members and their abilities.
you scoff at the ideas of a world class, highly recognized creative artist (juber), while i think he may have a point: how many times do i need to point out i agree with him in order for you to know where i stand ?
do i really need to lay every idea back out each time, or can't you remember where this conversation has already been ?

sorry my simply being a cheering section for a band i grew up with is so dismaying...but, silly me, i thought that being a fan of the group, that might actually be allowed on a mccartney fan site: guess not...i better get my diss-on-mccartney personna up to speed...'cause, around here, increasingly, unless you're dissing, you're not allowed to speak i guess

sorry for breaking the rules... :wink: didn't mean to actually like any of this stuff (must be the drugs !) :-BD
or..y'know, to try to give even the slightest credit where it may be (but, it seems, is not) due...

i'll try harder to hate a bit more... :twisted:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
User avatar
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 3159
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 am

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby maccafan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:29 pm

As I posted, some will choose to ignore the facts, and as I posted when it comes to many things McCartney and especially Wings, it's become very typical and expected!

Chris, of course you're going to think my debating skills are off putting and counter productive because you don't agree!

Also Chris, I am not a female, I am a full blooded male!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:53 am

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:13 pm

Lazarus_2 wrote:It only took him what, 35 years to leave EMI....

He's a rare breed. He keeps his address in the UK and pays all the taxes where many have jumped ship. That says a lot.
Mike Kovacich
Image
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
User avatar
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:00 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby chris » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:37 pm

maccafan wrote:As I posted, some will choose to ignore the facts, and as I posted when it comes to many things McCartney and especially Wings, it's become very typical and expected!

Chris, of course you're going to think my debating skills are off putting and counter productive because you don't agree!

Also Chris, I am not a female, I am a full blooded male!


well, first of all congrats on that whole penis thing. it's a wonder we can even walk around with those things. :-D

second, your debating skills are not off-putting because i disagree with you. i happen to disagree with plenty, here at this site, at home, at work, hell...even in my car trying to decide what radio station to listen to. disagreeing is a part of life. truth is...it even makes forums like this a little more interesting. how boring would things be if we all thought the exact same things about everything at all times? what is off-putting is these facts you seem to bring up all the time. you remind me of another poster who constantly mentioned "facts" to further his point, jjs. and your insistency that they are relevent to this or any topic. they...as facts...are not. what is off putting is your debating skills. i am glad to discuss our differences of opinion. i just don't think you are very good at it.

scary thing is, i don't even really disagree with you that much. i love wings. and i think they made a huge dent in the sound of rock music in the 70's. it is my contention that they are already represented in the HOF by way of paul's solo career. look it up. wings accomplishments are already listed in the HOF. i just don't think you have made one single simple argument that has furthered your point. i get it. you love wings. you think they are awesome. me too. that isn't reason enough for enshrinement, seperately, from paul's other solo music.

so, it would appear we are at an impass. it is not my desire to convince anyone to change their mind. and as i have stated, disagreement is good, it's healthy. i would, however, advise you to work on sharpening those debating skills. i'd hate to find you on my side of an argument one day...and find my side of the argument not taken seriously because of the heavy (but irrelevent) facts you have piled up in my defense.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
User avatar
chris
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Chicago, U.S.A

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby Awesoman » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:26 pm

mr h atom wrote:
as to your ( & chris') query, awes: i have answered that by pointing to maccafans responses (and mikes'): i have, generally agreed with each and made a continued point of doing so..furthermore, i've repeatedly pointed to jubers comments: why should i have to keep saying the same things...i'm not changing my story, as some have, each time a new layer of thought enters the arena.

i've made references to past posts and discussions by myself and others that raise the very same ideas about Wings distinctive sound, that never touched on wings' possible inclusion to the HOF.
as you pointed out, we are all going around in circles: so, why should i have to keep re-iterating what i've said, maccafan has said...what mike has said..?


Because other than some overly emotional rambling, all you've brought to the table are references to Laurence Juber's interview. I've read his interview. Sorry Jubes, but calling Wings a "tempering" is hardly a sound case for putting them into the RRHoF. Exactly *how* did Denny Laine's "eclecticism with his gypsy/folk sensibilities with an R & B voice" dramatically affect the sound of songs like "Jet" or "Let 'Em In"? Clearly it didn't do much for his own music he recorded with the band; at least in getting it to the charts. And is there a single critic out there who took Linda McCartney's musical ability seriously?

mr h atom wrote:you see the glass half empty, i see it half full...
you speak derogatorially of the band, its members and their abilities.
you scoff at the ideas of a world class, highly recognized creative artist (juber), while i think he may have a point: how many times do i need to point out i agree with him in order for you to know where i stand ?
do i really need to lay every idea back out each time, or can't you remember where this conversation has already been ?

sorry my simply being a cheering section for a band i grew up with is so dismaying...but, silly me, i thought that being a fan of the group, that might actually be allowed on a mccartney fan site: guess not...i better get my diss-on-mccartney personna up to speed...'cause, around here, increasingly, unless you're dissing, you're not allowed to speak i guess


It really doesn't matter to me what your opinion is regarding McCartney/Wings; we can freely agree to disagree and be done with it. But so long as we all are continuing to debate this, I'm just challenging you to bring something to the table. Other than pouting. If you believe Wings did enough to get their own recognition alongside McCartney, provide some evidence of your own. Enlighten me.

If I were so anti-McCartney, I'd have better things to do than post on a message board of a singer I didn't like. I'm simply trying to be objective. :shock:
Awesoman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron