Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Laurence Juber Makes Case For Wings in the Hall of Fame

Postby Lazarus_2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:59 am

Awesoman wrote:Look, we're running around in circles here.

Maccafan and Mr. Atom, do you not recognize that McCartney--and solely McCartney--was responsible for all of Wings' achievements that you have listed? And he has already been recognized for said achievements. If you want to make a valid case for giving Wings their own slot in the RRHOF, you must be able to differentiate between Wings and McCartney's post-Beatles career. And that requires looking at what the other band members accomplished in the band that would warrant them their place in the Hall of Fame. You have to be able to prove that Wings was more than just McCartney's backing band and that their individual actions had a direct and significant impact on the band's overall success.

McCartney was responsible for the following:
• He formed the band
• He wrote all the hit songs
• He sang lead on all the hit songs
• He was the frontman
• He made all the band’s decisions
• He won the Grammy Awards
• He broke up the band

So if the other band members had no involvement in writing or singing the hit songs, could not produce their own hit music alongside McCartney's, and were a largely faceless and interchangeable unit, exactly *what* did Wings achieve that had not already been acknowledged when McCartney was inducted into the Hall of Fame?

I don't think they do.
best post of the entire thread btw.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:00 am

lawrence juber makes the case..."

YES, HE DID

AS TO THE CONSTANT WHINE OF THE ANTI-MCCARTNEY DENIGRATION PATROL...well, now that you got the worlds greatest lyricist on your side....

blah blah... :-@
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby maccafan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 am

Some of you just choose to be blind!

Look Wings may never ever get into the hall of fame, that's not the issue, making the case why they should be in the hall is the issue!

The other members of the band definitely did alter McCartneys sound, McCartney doesn't play lead guitar like Henry, Jimmy, Robbie, or Rusty, so every single one of them alters McCartneys sound!

McCartney didn't play lead - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't play drums - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't play rhythm - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't play all the keyboards - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't tour alone - so someone else made a contribution

You can try and call them a backup band all you want, feel free, but Paul McCartney himself says otherwise, I think I'll go with the guy that knows best!

I don't see how anyone could miss this, Wings was the only band that had to follow the Beatles because they had a Beatle in the band, no other group had all eyes and criticizm on them like Wings. The expectations were thru the roof, why on Earth do you think they were bashed so bad. All those that bashed them unmercifully expected them to sound like the Beatles and when they didn't they attacked them relentlessly. It was the unmerciful comparisons to the Beatles that made many people put down Wings music!

Those albums were never as bad as some tried to lead you to believe, they are all being rediscovered now, and people are realizing how good they actually are.

Wings definitely did rock and they rocked hard, some people just don't want to give them their credit for being a good hard rocking band but that's just total bull, and I do mean total bull! When they launched into songs like Rockshow, Beware My Love, Hi Hi Hi, Junior Farms, Smile Away, Best Friend, and Soily, there was absolutely no doubt that they did indeed rock hard!

What I love about them was the fact that they could do more than just rock hard, they could cover many different styles of music. Some people bashed them for that, go figure?

As I said before, how do you not induct the second biggest group in the entire era of the 70s, try as you might, there's absolutely no way to justify that!

Wings had their own success, unlike all of McCartneys bands afterwards (which are backup bands) Wings had multiple albums, singles, tours, etc. Wings had their own original songs, they had their own body of work!

So go right ahead, say they aren't a band until you're blue in the face, but Paul McCartney and the plain facts say otherwise!

Wings definitely have a case for induction into the Hall Of fame!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:57 pm

and THAT'S why he's called MACCA FAN !

all the others ...nattering nabobs of negativism !

:wink:
mr h atom

Postby Awesoman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:06 am

Although it is really pointless by now to argue logic, here goes:

maccafan wrote:
The other members of the band definitely did alter McCartneys sound, McCartney doesn't play lead guitar like Henry, Jimmy, Robbie, or Rusty, so every single one of them alters McCartneys sound!

McCartney didn't play lead - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't play drums - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't play rhythm - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't play all the keyboards - so someone else made a contribution
McCartney didn't tour alone - so someone else made a contribution

And a cow goes "moo"; should we award them for it? McCartney's current band altered the sound of his album Driving Rain. If you play on an album, you are making a contribution and altering the sound. What is your point here?

maccafan wrote:You can try and call them a backup band all you want, feel free, but Paul McCartney himself says otherwise, I think I'll go with the guy that knows best!

McCartney himself doesn't seem to make much distinction between his solo work and Wings. During his more recent tours he has routinely introduced the song "Too Many People", which is a number from his solo career mind you, as a Wings song. And interesting how a non-Wings track like "Uncle Albert / Admiral Halsey" can find a place on the Wings Greatest compilation yet they didn't seem to have room to include any of the other band members' songs such as "Cook Of The House" or "Medicine Jar". That doesn't sound like a real collaborative effort there.

maccafan wrote:So go right ahead, say they aren't a band until you're blue in the face, but Paul McCartney and the plain facts say otherwise!

Wings definitely have a case for induction into the Hall Of fame!

I don't think anyone is disputing that they aren't a band; if a group of people play instruments together, that's a band. I'm just questioning what the other band members in Wings (in other words not McCartney) brought to the table that specifically and significantly contributed to that group's overall success and would warrant them their own unique spot in the RRHoF alongside McCartney. You have failed to provide any evidence that the members of Wings were more than just a solid backing band for McCartney. And that's not gonna cut it for making a case of putting them in the Hall of Fame.
Awesoman

Postby Lazarus_2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 am

I don't really care about the RARHOF at all.
I just didn't like that people were saying Wings were anything other than McCartney under a logo.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccafan » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Awesoman, I agree it seems it is pointless to argue logic, that's why I don't consider this an argument, we're just debating our views on the case for Wings getting inducted into the hall of fame.

What did the other members of Wings offer that was significant or specific, that's very easy to answer, the way they play, their style, their feel, their approach, all of which is different from McCartneys. Henry McCollough created an absolutely beautiful guitar solo for the #1 hit My Love, I still love that solo. I love Jimmy McColloughs singing and playing on the song Medicine Jar, I love all of Joe English drumming, he's still the best drummer McCartneys ever had, who knew he could sing so good, and you have to give Denny Laine credit for his stellar rhythm guitar work thru out the history of Wings, he's definitely should be in the hall for his contribution to Wings success!

As I posted before, who knows if those same exact songs would of been a hit had McCartney recorded them alone! His approach would definitely be different, and that's easy to know because just listen to how different the albums he records by himself sound versus band albums, the sound is totally different. That's the point, Wings sounded a certain way, a way that made millions of people all over the world love them.

So those members of Wings brought more of a band sound to his work, more of a full rocking sound. I like McCartney playing by himself, but I like him with a band much much better.

Until the current band gets their own name, record their own original singles and albums, create a body of work, tour as themselves, they are McCartneys back up band, but Wings did all of the above and more, they are a legit band.

But as I posted some will choose to be blind, or just refuse to give Wings their true deserved credit, it's become typical and expected!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Lazarus_2 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:52 am

Until the current band gets their own name, record their own original singles and albums, create a body of work, tour as themselves, they are McCartneys back up band, but Wings did all of the above and more, they are a legit band.

But as I posted some will choose to be blind, or just refuse to give Wings their true deserved credit, it's become typical and expected!

Your logic dictates that all it takes to be considered a real band, is a name.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:20 am

"your logic dictates that all it takes ..."

well... laz ...since the very quote you use lists more than that...
and since maccfan has listed other qualities often and before, all ignored....
that tells me, once again, that, in the marvelous world of the anti mccartney league, logic is a pretzel twisted w/o logic....but sprinkled with the poison of envy & half-baked with the hefty touch of leaden thought

what the he!! does that mean..!?!... :wink:
mr h atom

Postby chris » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:15 am

With all due respect, oh honorable atom, I'm not sure one quality maccafan has suggested has truly bolstered his/her side of the argument. in fact, other than proving that he/she can write in complete sentences...he formed a band after the beatles...he named them...he let others play instruments...there was pressure...they sold records because they were hits...furthers the debate.

As far as I can tell, there are three ways to go on this. Wings deserve to be in, or they don't, or they are already in. I've stated where I sit on this. As have others. And I've read some decent arguments, but having Maccafan on your side doesn't exactly bolster your argument. In fact, her debating skills are often off-putting and counter productive.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions