DVD secret site

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:26 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
Ok, cool. Thanks, man.
But then again, ive never seen them under like 89 or 99. But I'm not like up on every new price or whatever. Maybe Mike has an online link where he can turn someone on to a great deal. I know the guy at White Castle--that's my only retail hookup. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:30 pm

If ya do-it-yourself it's cheaper, but then ya have to have the tools and aren't afraid to open up the "puter" (as Steve says[:)]).
My puter is 3 years old and it's slow, only 500mhz, so I expect a DVD drive would give it a stroke.
Do you think Paul is aware that most people still have CD-Rom technology? I mean most low end puters are all still packaged that way. Most of us still have them anyway. Does anyone here have DVD-Rom except Mike, of course?
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Thu Dec 26, 2002 4:46 pm

Better not ask him AUj--he got upset with me the last time..he's right though..thats where the future is. I'm stuck in 2001 and plan to stay there for a few more years, at least 'puter-wise.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Dec 26, 2002 6:06 pm

Don't be like BOTR1, Steve. I think he's stuck in like 1845. (Olde England, of course!) [:D]
Ram1

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:22 pm

To connect a DVD ROM is very easy.
- open the case, usually 4 screws
- located the CD ROM already in your machine, follow the cable, since most decent techs or factory installs should have the CD on the IDE secondary there should be a spare connector on the end. This goes on the obvious matching female connector on the DVD ROM.
- same with the power cable, there should be several spare cables coming from the power supply. It also only goes on one way.
- Just look at the CD rom and see how it is mounted and connected, you will be doing it the exact same way, IN FACT, you could even TAKE OUT the existing CD rom and put in it's place the DVD ROM and use the same connections. If your computer is that old the DVD ROM will be faster than the 8x or 16x you may have in your computer now.

500Mhz no problem. It's really that easy 2 connections, the IDE cable and power, that is it.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Ram1 » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:31 pm

Thanks for the instructions, Mike. Didn't know it was that simple. I just might go ahead and buy a DVD-ROM one of these days.
Ram1

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:31 pm

Steve it wasn't the fact that you asked me something, it was if I remember right, the fact that you were pissed you had to have a DVD ROM on a computer to get to the secret site. I simply was stating that's why it's a "bonus".

Like the re-release of Paul's CD had bonus tracks not on the original album or CD release, if you buy the newer CD you got the "bonus" tracks. Similar if you buy the DVD and have a DVD ROM in your computer, you have the ability to get "bonus" material.

Wasn't mad at you at all.
Mike

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 26, 2002 8:37 pm

Yes Ram it is really easy, just make sure you have your puter off and ground yourself to discharge any static electricity you may have in your body. Otherwise you can very easily zap something on your puter. This is very important.
Mike

Postby Steve-o » Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:05 pm

Mike---You have to get to know my warped sense of humour. I know you weren't mad at me. I wrote that knowing you'd see it. It was a joke.

The connections for my Dell laptop are even easier. It's a snap off the old one and snap in the new one. It's just too darn expensive ($225), and it belongs to the company I work for, because I have to have the ability to connect to our system remotely. The PC we have here at home, i never use, really. My wife uses it. All my stuff is on the laptop.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:01 am

Laptop DVD roms are more expensive but $225 seems way too steep considering you can get new laptops for 1100 or less with them built-in. I'd check around for a better price, the vendor is probably quoting original list price when the laptop was 1st released. I think my DVD in my laptop was something like a $100 option and that was in Canadian dollars.
Mike

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions