Hats off to George's kid

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Hats off to George's kid

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:21 am

Wow - I gotta tell ya i was surprised to hear that Dhani played with those guys on the GH tribute. He could have played it safe and not played. But, he did the hard thing and played with the legends. Not an easy thing to do - gotta admire his b-a-l-l-s in doing that and all the baggage that stuff brings. His old man would have been proud - George probably was very honest about the Beatle baggage and the expectations and Dhani went out and played anyway.

Unfortunately, the press for lack of an interesting story will now speculate on why Julian, James, Dhani, and Zak should get together and form as super-group. I say - forget it. Those kids (guys) owe the press and the fans nothing. Moreover, the expectations and the type of event it would be - it's a set up for failure to begin with.

Seeing how bitter Julian is and seeing how much the son of the artist can be a curse or a case of the permanent Sophomore slump (Jacob Dylan - Wallflowers, Wilson-Phillips, Frank Sinatra Junior, the Buckleys, the Nelsons, the list too long to consider) - i think it's ridiculous.

Despite all that baggage, Dhani chose to honor the old man and for that - the Dark horse would be proud
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:02 am

I just bought brainwashed and am very pleased with it. Dhani sure lools a lot like george. (He is a cutie) I am glad to see he finished up georges album.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Aujouret » Sat Nov 30, 2002 5:07 am

Some good points there, Chris.
Yes, Dhani is super.
Thanks to him and Jeff we have a wonderful new album from George.
I can't say that I agree with your assessment of Jules, however.
I don't find him bitter.
In fact I think he is remarkably well adjusted and cool considering all the crap he has been through. Must be that wonderful Mum he has.
Thanks, Cyn.[^]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:41 am

I think the sons' band thing has been done to death already, but Dhani playing alongside Paul & Ringo . . . I'd like to see that. Fingers crossed it gets shown at some point . . .
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:31 am

Julian bitter ? Maybe to Yoko. Here is a message he recently sent to fans.

Hi everyone!

This week it’s Thanksgiving. I have always thought of it as a very special holiday, a time to be positive and remember how lucky we are to have what we have. We don’t really need reminding that it’s not the things that we have that are important, but rather the people we know, our family and friends. I know there are people who have faced tough times this year - I hope they have someone to whom they can turn to for support during the holiday. Maybe there’s someone we know who could do with a message of comfort or encouragement?

Christmas is also a time to share with family and friends. I intend to do just that! And I‘ve got a feeling I know who’ll be doing the cooking!

This is also an opportunity for me to thank you for the messages, cards and letters you send me throughout the year. I’m sorry I can’t reply to each of them individually but I do love hearing from you. Keep ‘em coming!

All the best for the holidays.

I’ll be back in touch in the New Year!.

Julian xx

Here's another:
Hello friends!

I know it’s a tough time for us all at the moment what with the state of affairs across the globe, but we’ve got to keep our chins up and stay strong, not only for ourselves but also for those less fortunate than ourselves.

The reason I’m writing to you today is to clear up a few inaccurate
newspaper and magazine articles. It has been reported in the USA and in Europe that I’m setting up a multimillion dollar club in Spain and that I’ve started working as a chef in a restaurant … and that I’ve given up music! Well folks, none of these stories are true! The truth is that I am a SMALL shareholder in a SMALL bar/restaurant in Spain owned by an acquaintance of mine, and that’s it! It’s all very simple really, I don’t know how the story got twisted in the first place. It probably got mixed up because someone somewhere heard that cooking is ONE of my first loves!

As for the multi million dollar club???!!! Got me there! I don’t know what that’s all about.

And as for giving up music, they’re having a laugh aren’t they!!! Music is in my blood, it’s not something you can just give up! It will always be with me, one way or another!

One of the reasons you haven’t heard anything from me for a while is
because I’ve been rebuilding and upgrading my home studio. I’m doing it myself and it has taken me a lot more time than I expected! But although it’s nearly finished I’m taking my time over it to get it right. Anyway, it should be up and running by the spring with a bit of luck.

Also, we have been working really hard on http://www.lennon.net (Lennon by
Lennon). Gathering information about my family has not been easy! But we’re getting there! Don’t forget that one of the main reasons I have set up these websites is for YOU, the fans. For you to be able to access the truth in every way, shape and form.
If there is any news about me or my family you’ll read the truth here, first! So, don’t always believe what you read in the tabloids or magazines!

On another note, I am involved in a great restaurant/bar in the USA. A friend of mine came up with the concept in San Francisco and together we’re taking it to several other locations, the second one being San Jose. For those of you who love Japanese food with a difference and a great fun/chilled atmosphere with great music, come and try Blowfish - sushi to die for! Don’t worry, we do cooked food as well! Blowfish San Jose will be opening early 2003. Details of other locations will be made available in due course if you’re interested. If not, no worries! Was that enough of a plug!

Some other news - I’m in negotiations to appear in a film that is due to start shooting either at the end of this year or the beginning of next. It’s a quaint little independent movie set in North Wales (think 'Withnail and I '… 'Four Wedding and a Funeral') … The part I am supposed to play is a stoned hippie technical genius called Rhys. He’s not the lead role by any means, but he’d be the most fun to play!!! The film’s working title is 'Taff’s Gold', which may end up being the finished title. So keep a lookout for it whether I’m in it or not … I’ve read the script and it’s a sweet, quirky, sentimental comedy – I’d go and see it!

Last but not least, I’ve just finished a duet and background vocals on a track called Hold Tight which will be on the forthcoming Third World (reggae) album, which I hope will be released in the not too distant future.

Phew!!! I think that’s about it. I’m off back to the building, wiring and painting and then finally onto getting the next album recorded and on its way to you.

I’ll be in touch to wish you all the best before the end of the working year, but for now …

All the best and Happy Halloween!

Jules x

Doesn't sound like a bitter man to me. These are word coming from his mind not something somebody wrote about in an article in some newspaper some years ago.
Mike

Postby nicholeantoinette » Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:51 pm

Dhani is as luminous as the moon!

I'd love a Supergroup with Dhani, Sean, Julian, & James!
nicholeantoinette

Postby shinestar » Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:46 am

I love the album, Brainwashed! Good for Dhani and Jeff to finish it - they did George proud. I'm not sure those 4 guys are even friends, so why would they want to play together? I wish people could finally understand the Beatles are OVER and will never be again, not even the next generation. Get over it! It happened. We will always have the music and the memories and that should be enough.
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:06 am

Here, here! Why do people put themselves through that - some way of recapturing The Beatles, when any such idea is doomed from the start!
Liam OSM

Postby Aujouret » Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:46 am

yeah, shinestar and Liam.
I agree totally.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby shinestar » Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:00 am

Thanks, Mike, for giving us Julian's messages. And thanks, Liam and Auj, for supporting me! [:)]
shinestar
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions