Paul working with other artists

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Paul working with other artists

Postby Brains » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:55 am

In the eighties he worked with Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Eric Stewart, Elvis Costello. Would it be a good idea to start doing this again? I would love to see Paul doing something with Sting (late seventies/early eighties-Sting, that is), or some old rock 'n' roll geezer like Little Richard.

Or maybe even with so-called contemporary artists, like Santana did? Maybe Travis? Or Moby? Or Noel Gallagher? [gettin gunder the table, fearing someone might hit me]... Robbie Williams? [getting up again, nothing has happened]
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:11 am

Didn't he work with that guy from Super Furry Animals for the Liverpool Sound Collage?

"Can you take me back where I came from?"
Len

Postby Brains » Mon Apr 08, 2002 3:21 pm

Youth? Well, yeah. Wasn't it so that Paul gave him some tapes and that Youth did his DJ-tricks on them? Anyway, his dance-experiments weren't exactly what I meant. More his normal music (the music we love).
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shorty » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:27 pm

maybe jon bon jovi, that would be kinda cool, or I dunno.
It's realy hard to think of someone that would compliment his musical taste.

so long see ya never
shorty

Postby Len » Tue Apr 09, 2002 10:40 am

Was that Youth? He did some great work producing the Crowded House album Together Alone.
And hey, I like Paul's experiments too! That second Fireman album's pretty good (much better than the first one anyway).

As long as I'm on the Crowded House subject: Neil Finn and Paul McCartney would be the ideal partnership for me. If that ever happens I'd be in musical heaven.

Len

Postby Brains » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:04 pm

Yeah! Wow, Neil Finn! I hadn't thought of him!
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:18 pm

Can you imagine what would come out of the two of them working together?

Len

Postby constv » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:19 pm

Frankly, I am not a big fan of Macca's collaborations with other artists, the ones that I know of, except for pure songwriting collaborations. I really liked the McCartney/McManus(Elvis Castello) songs, and some stuff he did with Eric Stewart. Not to mention Lennon, of course. Jacko and Stevie Wonder were really big in the early 80's, and I think Macca’s decision to sing with them at the time was just business...I do think the same of the latest Santana project, by the way… I know, a lot of you guys will get mad at me for saying that... :)

What I really would like to see is Macca playing with some awesome lead guitarist - and actually letting the guy play!!! He’s had some very good guitarists in his line-ups – on stage and in the studio. However he rarely lets other people get in the spotlight, as if he is too conscious about it. I can’t tell you how many times I listened to a great McCartney song wishing that he had put a nice guitar solo in the song… Most of his songs incorporate very timid guitar work, with just a few exceptions like Let It Be, My Love… Maybe I’m Amazed has Paul’s own solo, the way he played it himself, and it could have been better. The live recordings (Wings Over America/Tripping Live…) of that song sound much better b/c you actually hear Jimmy McCulloch and Robbie McIntosh playing. Look at Run Devil Run, for example! On that record, he had one of the most brilliant guitarists of all time, Dave Guilmore of Pink Floyd. And what? Do you really hear Dave play? Of course, it’s not exactly Dave’s kind of music, but I’m sure that hadn’t it been for Macca’s preferences, Dave could have raised a few eyebrows! Don’t you wish that Guilmore’s solo on No More Lonely Nights were much longer and not just attached to the ending of the song? I’d love to see/hear Paul play with the likes of Eric Clapton, Guilmore, Jimmy Page… or Robbie McIntosh, for that matter. Robbie is probably the best guitarist Paul has ever had in his line-up. But Robbie had always been kept sort of in the background, with a few exceptions during the live performances. I always wished Paul would include more interesting guitar work in his songs and let guys like Robbie shine. I have no doubt that the music would benefit incredibly from that! From time to time Macca picks up the lead guitar himself… Oh well… The man is one of the best bass players in the world, but he should stay away from the lead guitar. Remember the tours of 89-90 and 93? He would jam with Robbie McIntosh on Sgt. Pepper and in the end of Carry That Weight/The End… Even the versions that were selected for the Tripping Live Fantastic CDs illustrate how erratic his playing was. You can hear where exactly Robbie’s flawless solo ends and Paul picks up. I love Macca to death, he’s my favorite musician by far, and I really think that he is the most talented rock/pop composer/singer/musician EVER! But I do think that he does get a bit too image-conscious. There’s nothing wrong with letting another great musician get UPFRONT from time to time, it’s not going to take away the spotlight from sir Paul!
constv

Postby Brains » Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:44 pm

I think not Robbie, but Jimmy McCulloch was the best guitarplayer he ever had. Robbie was too perfect for my taste, he didn't have the raw edge that Jimmy had. Sadly, legends die young. I'd have loved to have heard more of his playing!
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Len » Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:55 pm

I always liked Juber a lot better than Jimmy. The guitar stuff on Back To The Egg is awesome!

Len

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions