abc's mccartney special

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

abc's mccartney special

Postby wesbeat » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:21 am

i don't know about others out there but i was somewhat disappointed with the abc special with mccartney. a little to slick for Me and way too many shots of people in the audience. not to mention chopped up editing right in the middle of songs.
as for key omissions which i will never figure out who makes these final decisions.......
GETTING BETTER--ESPECIALLY SINCE THE TUNE IS FEATURED IN A NATIONAL TV COMMERCIAL.
HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE--PERHAPS THE PRETTIEST SONG HE HAS EVER WRITTEN.
there are other additional comments that i will make but i just wanted to get the ball rolling. your comments please
wesbeat

abc's mccartney special

Postby wesbeat » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:21 am

i don't know about others out there but i was somewhat disappointed with the abc special with mccartney. a little to slick for Me and way too many shots of people in the audience. not to mention chopped up editing right in the middle of songs.
as for key omissions which i will never figure out who makes these final decisions.......
GETTING BETTER--ESPECIALLY SINCE THE TUNE IS FEATURED IN A NATIONAL TV COMMERCIAL.
HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE--PERHAPS THE PRETTIEST SONG HE HAS EVER WRITTEN.
there are other additional comments that i will make but i just wanted to get the ball rolling. your comments please
wesbeat

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:05 am

Yeah, I kind of agree, Wesbeat. I started talking about it last night in the tour section. I am so sick of the audience shots. I mean, it's nice here and there, to see the emotion on people's faces. But I think they went overboard. Right when I was really getting into Macca and the band, they'd switch to the audience. Got kind of annoying to me. I taped it, and watched some of it back last night before I went to bed. It didn't seem as bad the second time I watched it, but overall, not very impressive to me. Well, let me rephrase that. It's a way better concert special than someone like N'Sync or Barry Manilow, but for Paul McCartney, I thought it was a LITTLE unimpressive. See, when I watch Paul McCartney specials, a big thing that I'm thinking about is how it's gonna come across to the "casual fans" and the general public who may not know much about McCartney. As well as the stupid critics who have been criticizing Paul for the past 20 years. And to those people, I think maybe the special dropped the ball a little bit. I think it all really has to do with the editing. I mean, obviously they couldn't show the whole DVD on ABC. But I agree with you, Wesbeat, on certain points like Getting Better. Man, I was really dissapointed that they didn't show that. And then, ONCE AGAIN, (just like back in '93) network television cut off right in the middle of the last song. (I Saw Her Standing There.) I also agree that the production was a little too "slick" for my tastes. "Up Next: Blackbird, Let It Be, The Long and Winding Road...." Man, I just wanted that announcer to shut up! They did the same kinda thing with the live special from Charlotte in '93. And it always bothers me when these shows show these celebrities in the audience. I know it's taken from the DVD, but still. Like Jack Nicholson and Sly Stallone. I mean come on, like they really own a copy of Driving Rain. A possibility, but I doubt it. I think the main thing that downgraded the special is the editing. Yes I know, they had no choice. They couldn't show the whole DVD on television. But like Wesbeat said, some of the editing was just a little off to me. Something just didn't seem right. Anyway, I still taped it. And I'm sure I'm still gonna watch it enough times. Still some great performances. Just my opinion.
Ram1

Postby 40Intrepid » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:55 am

I didnt mind the crowd shots, many very attractive women were seen.
I didnt like the way they edited the songs either, but they only have limited time on television.
I was disapointed Paul skipped the bird whistles in Blackbird, and I thought he sang the slow part of LALD too fast, I think they could have skipped the stuff with the monkeys and made the songs longer.
I thought it was cool when Wix explained why he had a Lava Lamp with him.
Is Paul a hockey fan? Why does he have a Detroit Redwings logo on the guitar he used to sing yesterday?
I heard a story this summer that the Wings logo was inspired by the Redwings logo,ever hear that one?
40Intrepid

Postby maccastheman » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:59 am

quote:Originally posted by 40Intrepid
Why does he have a Detroit Redwings logo on the guitar he used to sing yesterday?
I heard a story this summer that the Wings logo was inspired by the Redwings logo,ever hear that one?

I'm not sure about that. It was kind of embarrassing at the St. Louis show, because the crowd "booed" the Redwings logo. Paul acted like he didn't know why the crowd was booing, but I think he did.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 40Intrepid » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:05 am

[/quote]

It was kind of embarrassing at the St. Louis show, because the crowd "booed" the Redwings logo.
[/quote]

I can understand that, they hate us because we beat them in the playoffs evey year! Har, Har![:D]
40Intrepid

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:06 am

I didnt mind the crowd shots, many very attractive women were seen.

I could care less about the attractive women. I can see attractive women anyday. That was the exact thing a lot of fans (including myself) were afraid was gonna happen. And it did. Almost every shot was some blonde with her boobs bouncing. (Hey, I'm hetero, I like the view), but still, this is about PAUL McCARTNEY. I really wanted them to focus more on the BAND. WAY too many crowd shots, in my opinion. WAY too many.
Ram1

Postby maccastheman » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:08 am

It was kind of embarrassing at the St. Louis show, because the crowd "booed" the Redwings logo.
[/quote]

I can understand that, they hate us because we beat them in the playoffs evey year! Har, Har![:D]
[/quote]

I'm totally nuetral to all of that. I'm a Dallas Stars man myself. [:D]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:18 am

I know not all the shots were of girls and boobs. I'm exaggerating a tad. But still, on the whole, the amount of crowd shots were irritating to me. Really. And I do NOT think I'm exaggerating when I say that the audience shots were ALMOST as much as the band shots. I'm serious. Go check the tape. Every time I was really getting into the band, they'd switch to the audience. It was just annoying to me. However, I will say, at least they didn't show a whole bunch of drunken and stupid fans like they did on the Leno show. The fans they showed last night were decent I think, for the most part.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:30 am

Well, I'm sure the DVD is a much better experience. I'm not doubting that at all. I'm just judging based on what I have seen. You're right, maybe the audience shots seem like more to me because they irritate me so much. But I still think there is no doubt that there were too many. I mean I was really surprised. I haven't seen Get Back in a really long time, but it seems to me that this special showed way more crowd shots than Get Back. It might not be the same on the DVD.
Ram1

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions