Battling bootlegs ! Do a secret site for all CDs

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:44 am

I heard a report yesterday that because of expanding technologies it will be impossible to stop piracy or the sharing of say mp3s over the internet. Well, it's nothing I didn't already know but it's good to hear the record industry is finally starting to realize that there will always be newer technologies to get around any protection they attempt. Basically the study says record companies should dramatically lower the pricing of their products amd make easier for consumers to buy or put more value into the product.

Well perhaps that is one of the reasons for Paul's longevity, he has always tried to give more value like having more tracks than normal, posters etc. Now if you have the DVD you can get on the secret website.

I really think the secret site is going to be a huge hit and my suggestion is that he should incorporate this all his CDs and re-release his whole collection. If you have a CD you can access extra stuff via the internet, like outtakes, interviews, studio video, you know all the video we know he has in some vault. It would be a venue to get some of this vintage material released as there is just too much. This would be fantastic for fans and encourage all of us to buy the whole collection AGAIN.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:44 am

I heard a report yesterday that because of expanding technologies it will be impossible to stop piracy or the sharing of say mp3s over the internet. Well, it's nothing I didn't already know but it's good to hear the record industry is finally starting to realize that there will always be newer technologies to get around any protection they attempt. Basically the study says record companies should dramatically lower the pricing of their products amd make easier for consumers to buy or put more value into the product.

Well perhaps that is one of the reasons for Paul's longevity, he has always tried to give more value like having more tracks than normal, posters etc. Now if you have the DVD you can get on the secret website.

I really think the secret site is going to be a huge hit and my suggestion is that he should incorporate this all his CDs and re-release his whole collection. If you have a CD you can access extra stuff via the internet, like outtakes, interviews, studio video, you know all the video we know he has in some vault. It would be a venue to get some of this vintage material released as there is just too much. This would be fantastic for fans and encourage all of us to buy the whole collection AGAIN.
Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:55 pm

Hi Mike

I agree..but you would still be able to access the secret site with a bootleg copy of the DVD..or even just a portion of it, that would allow access. But you're right..the industry could help it's self by lowering prices. I think I read somewhere that it cost 70 cents to produce a CD...kinda hurts when the sticker price is 22 bucks...especially when there is only 3 or 4 songs worth listening to.[:I]
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Aujouret » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:02 pm

we'll see, of course.
I am put off that whole site as it is clearly out of control with rampant Paul and Heather bashing.
I just don't even wanna go there.
I know there are other former Paul site members here too.
I wonder how they feel about this topic.
And as far as rebuying the whole collection- no way.
I'd rather have boots.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:05 pm

It depends on the quality of the boot. For instance, with soundboard boots, you pretty much don't go wrong. And with video boots, you usually don't hear much crowd noise either.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:53 am

Wait a minute! How can you say Paul gives value to fans for their money. This is the same guy who denied all of us a "Wings Box Set" - of oddities, rarities, and live stuff. We should have gotten a Five CD set or maybe more. But, for whatever reason, he didn't. Plus, how about a box set of the Paul solo years 1980-1989??? Hello?

While grateful for the new CD "Driving Rain", i would have worked on the Wings-span CD box set for nothing. Make any one of us - the curator!! And i'll have it out in a year!!

Instead, we got Wings-span CD which could have been made by any of us or done by any of us over the years on a compilation basis. The Wings-Span DVD and VHS was great but left me looking for more. Only 1 hour and 20 minutes (or 2 hours on DVD)...I would have added a lot more and a more balanced profile.

I look at a band like Phish as being "the total fan's wet-dream" or for that matter Pearl Jam. I think Paul is more of in the middle - surely, he has not given Fans (hard-core fans) what they need. Odds and Sods was supposed to come out years ago?? Even Back in the USA , the new CD - So, what? I got my sound-board from Washington, DC five months ago????

Look, i'm gonna love the new Film on ABC (Sans the commercials) and i'll buy the sound-board of the new CD....But, don't even start with Paul gives fans value. Look at what Phish does for their fans or even the kiss guys...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:02 am

Go back to bed, Chris.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:10 am

Sorry - I'm not going to be a "McCartney apologist". The Paul gives value for the money comment irks me.

The wings box set should happen. And the Beatles anthology should be the role model.

Rather than focus on superficial things like changing the Lennon-McCartney song-writing credits, why doesn't Paul try to release a Wings box set that all of his hard-core fans get enjoy? By the way, this should have been done like two years ago???
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:17 am

I'm not a McCartney apologist either. If Paul puts out something that sucks, I say it sucks. But just because Paul doesn't release 72 bootleg cd's like Pearl Jam, or do whatever Phish does, doesn't mean he's not working for the fans. He's been mighty busy. I'm sure he didn't have time, or heck, even the interest, in putting together a Wings box any time soon.
Ram1

Postby Mike » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:29 am

Chris your attitude is not surprising at all !

OK, let's see what your worth. Take any artist you feel has given more value than Paul, OK you got it. Now start from the 1st album released, compare and chart the two, count the songs the singles and the singles not available on any album, I'm not talking about CD re-releases now.

You do this and post it here, I don't think you will because it will easily show Paul has consistently put out extra material for us fans.
Mike

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions