Share Memories of Hearing Macca songs for 1st time

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Share Memories of Hearing Macca songs for 1st time

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Apr 07, 2002 7:41 pm

I hope this isn't too boring. Anybody want to share memories of where they were when they first heard some of Paul's stuff.

Junior's Farm
It's 1974 and i'm six years old. My older brother has just received the album "Band on the Run". I get the single from my older brother < Junior's Farm with the black capitol label. What is this mean? I don't know - I like the Sally G song cause it reminds me of Hee-Haw.

Silly Love Songs / Let em in
I was 8 years old and it was 1976. We were on our way to Cape Cod and i heard Silly Love Songs in the car radio. I can still remember that summer. I just finished watching Happy Days and i'm going out to play wiffleball as i hear SillY Love Songs time and time again on radios throughout the summer. Another song from that summer is "Afternoon Delight" by Starland vocal band.

McCartney II
It was May of 1980 and My brother and i waited outside the record store to get our 8-track copies of McCartney II. Hey, they got "One of these days" on their twice. Frozen Jap? Coming up isn't live - it's the studio version. Why are there three pictures inside the LP? And they each have a Beatle reference??? Our Sixth GRade field trip took us to the Bronx zoo. Am i close to where John Lennon lives? hell, no....My brother tells me Funkytown has replaced coming up as No. 1 as we watch Casey kasem's high-light show on TV

Press to Play
It was the week before Freshman year of college August 1986. And i got the new McCartney record. It reminds me of Tears for Fears in some spots and in others the Police. What's with the new sound? Good times coming eases the pain of freshman orientation.

Flowers in The Dirt
It's June 1989 and the new McCartney CD is out. Oh, boy. I just finished my internship at a financial company and my Junior year of College and i walk to get the new McCartney record. I like it. In two months, I will have four tickets to see in December. I constantly hear "This one" during the summer when i go to various baseball games across the country.

Off The Ground
I'm a grown-ass man now. working in the City and i just got the new McCartney album. It's a cold February and i'm struggling to get through the LP. I listen to "Hope and Deliverance" as i study for my CPA license. I like "Golden Earth Girl" even if it's sappy.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Rundevilrun » Sun Apr 07, 2002 11:35 pm

I'm seven years old and my dad lets me listen to "Put it There" for the first time. I don't know what it means but I hear it years later and remember it. I make him cry by playing it on the guitar and singing it the other day... good memories.
Rundevilrun

Postby Brains » Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:08 am

My dad loved the Beatles, and by playing Revolver and Oldies... but Goldies! to me, I started liking them to. For my 10th birthday I got Band On The Run... and since then I'm hooked. I especially loved the Ho Hey Ho chorus on Mrs. Vandebilt.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby shorty » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:30 pm

band on the run, I can't remember how old I was but I was real young,

so long see ya never
shorty

Postby scrodfish256 » Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:13 am

silly love songs-I heard it when I was about nine or ten. I thought it had a cool bass line. though I didn't actually become a macca fan until I was about eighteen.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby michael.riddles » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:04 pm

Summer of 1976: "Let 'Em In" is on the radio constantly. I'm 2 years old and love the lyrics because he mentions my name, "Michael". I didn't find out this was a Macca song till 1989 when I become a huge Beatles fan.

December 9, 1980: My Mom tells me John is dead. I'd never heard of him, but my Mom plays all the records for me and we listen to the radio which is playing all Beatles. My Mom gets pissed off when they play "With a Little Luck" - I learn who Paul is.

Spring 1990: We have to do a speech on "rock poetry" for 10th grade English class. I pick "Distractions" to disect lyrically.

February 1993: Off the Ground comes out. I'm a little disappointed at first but it grows on me. Reminds me of driving around town in the snow.

February 1994: I get the first Fireman album and love it. I first listened to it in an Ohio State University computer lab.

May 1997: It's Paul McCartney week on VH1! I watch the Flaming Pie premier at my friend's house. We flip out when we hear "Beautiful Night" for the first time - we love it!

April 29, 2002: I have tickets to see my first live Paul McCartney concert!
michael.riddles

Postby McCullochMcCartney » Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:31 pm

My first ever Paul concert was April 16 in Philadelphia. I was so happy I couldn't concentrate in school at all. I didn'y pay attentio at all! I just couldn't think about anything but Paul, Paul, Paul! And Rusty, too I just kept looking at the clock and waiting for the bell to ring so I could leave! And at home I just stared at the clock waiting for it to hit 6:30 so we could leave and be there early. When we finaly got there my brother and I couldn't wait for 8:00 and it was only 7:20 so we still had 40 minutes to wait! It seemed impossible to wait 40 minutes when we waited for weeks! But we got through the 40 minute even if each minute felt like an hour. Our parents got us in line to buy us shirts to take our minds off the wait. But that didn't help. We were just like "Come on people! Move faster! We wanna see Paul!" Soon the show started and I don't think I have ever screamed so loud in my life! It was the best day of my life and all night I kept dreamming of the concert. It played over and over in my mind and it still does! It's like a memory video camera. I'll never forget April 16, 2002! I hope I get to see another Paul concert one day but even if I don't I'll just remember this one and remember that some people didn't get to go and I did. It really was the best day of my life.

All hail Paul McCartney and Jimmy McCulloch
McCullochMcCartney

Postby McCullochMcCartney » Sat Apr 20, 2002 8:33 pm

Okay. That was my little concert story. I heard my first song when I was six. It was "With A Little Luck" it's one of my favorite songs. I just felt like telling someone about my concert thing. I can't tell my friends cause' they don't like Paul.

All hail Paul McCartney and Jimmy McCulloch
McCullochMcCartney

Postby MarthaMyDear » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:37 am

I was also at the April 16, 2002 show....it was Marvelous...nothing in my life will EVER top that..a religious experience indeed. As for the first Paul song I ever heard.....well I do remember being VERY young, like 2 or 3 and my mom was playing Live and Let Die in the living room...In fact, she played a lot of Macca come to think of it...I remember hearing Band On The Run, Jet and Silly Love Songs ALL THE TIME, lol. Maybe I'm Amazed was another one she played...gotta love that. The funny thing about that is I never thought she played anything related to Beatles, but after retrieving her records from the attic I realized I remembered her playing solo Beatles A LOT...lol.

KKQ
MarthaMyDear

Postby nicholeantoinette » Sat May 11, 2002 3:35 pm

...my 1st experience was a visual one: the SAY, SAY, SAY video!

Lovel Linda...xoxo
nicholeantoinette

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions