McCartney Quebec Set List

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: McCartney Quebec Set List

Postby maccafan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:18 pm

Besides that, the he plays the hits excuse just doesn't fly anymore! How many years is that excuse going to keep being used? He's done that for the last twenty years, so if he decides to change his setlist, no one has any ground to stand on if they complain. He's given the Beatle freaks twenty years!

Is McCartney expected to play the same basic songs for the rest of his freaking life? I just don't see how anyone could complain if the man finally took one tour and concentrated on the rest of his career!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:59 pm

i'm not asking for too much. not an entire show of rarities (or non radio airplay tunes) but throw in one song in 5 that i didn't expect. there was once a time when i couldn't wait to see live and let die...but now?...eh'.

but, given the two options...i'd rather see long and winding road and let it be (for the umpteenth time live in concert) than never see him perform again.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:07 am

alot of people (including my dead twin...evil twit !) have been chanting the 'change-it-up' mantra for ...ooo...decades...
quite nice to see so many of you wake up and smell the starbucks about the variety (or, more realistically, lack of) on the set list: very nice to see the 'complainers' not being heckled to death, like in the very recent past...

i've argued before, one can't really carry the 'greatest-rock 'n roll- writer/artist, etc' mantel if one just keeps doing the same schtick...
i believe paul replays these songs solely because he knows it will appeal to the broadest range of fans and tag-a-longs...
but the set lists have never been catalogue challenging..
and therein lies the rub: most of the songs (and albums) left out are pretty dang good (if not great) ones,

it will take this artist to stand up for them and play them (as he has with others, recently): thumb the nose in the face of the non-believers, to get everyone to realize 'wanderlust/temporary sec./rocky raccoon/oh woman, oh why/jrs farm...etc,etc, take-yer-pick' will ALL sound great live

there are not, supposedly, many more tours left (that's the rumor, right?) so doesn't it make sense to go out artistically, with variety and flourish, as opposed to elvis-ing out ?

mccartneys musical legacy is one heck of alot larger than ' live and let die/band on the run/hey jude/jet/let it be: he ought o own up to it, let the captured audience know it...

having said that, the list is not awful ,and should appeal to a wide audience, indeed.
but...legacy wise...he's swimmimg in the same river as before

still...wouldn't it be nice to have one concert with little or no beatle music: just wings/solo paul stuff...and not all the stuff he's done a thousand million times...just one...

"i'd buy that for a $1!"
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby A. » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:36 am

chris wrote:i'm not asking for too much. not an entire show of rarities (or non radio airplay tunes) but throw in one song in 5 that i didn't expect. there was once a time when i couldn't wait to see live and let die...but now?...eh'.

but, given the two options...i'd rather see long and winding road and let it be (for the umpteenth time live in concert) than never see him perform again.

yep - exactly - I know that 30 songs set containg raritties only (Wanderlust instead of Long And Winding Road and Little Lamb Dragonfly instead of Get Back) is a fantasy. But 5 songs ain't that much - after all he did throw in one or two such songs every tour (Too Many People, Every Night).

I'd love to hear wanderlust, but I'm afraid this song is out of his range now. And after all Here There Everywhere without high notes (as on Back In The World) was not too spectacular IMHO.

But I would be glad to listen to

1. tug of war
2.With a little luck
3. Junior's Farm
4.Friends To Go
5. Beatiful Night
A.

Postby JimQ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:35 pm

I think he should have a listen to Wings over america - you can have a great concert with mostly solo and wings material. He would awaken a lot of new wings/solo fans if he'd just dust off some of the less famous stuff. I've had enough would be brilliant with this band. Maybe he should crack out Say Say Say again seeing as the remix is so popular these days and no one knows he had anything to do with it?! Loads of songs like Why so blue, Mr. Bellamy, end of the end, distractions, too much rain etc. have been overlooked by the general public and "live" is his opportunity to bring them back - his only "from left field" song in ages was Mrs. Vanderbilt and its like all our christmasses came together, i've heard random people whistling it in lifts! With his back catalogue he could do five concerts in a row of hits without repeating a song. We all have about forty DVDs where the only difference between them is which shade of purplish brown his hair is! Its time to breathe life into the backcatalogue before it gets consigned to the great forgotten!!
JimQ

Postby From A Lover To A Friend » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:58 pm

That's a good setlist, but It includes some pretty bad/medicore songs. Why represent Revolver with Good Day Sunshine when you can play For No One? I think these songs should be thrown out of the setlist:

All My Loving
Flaming Pie
Let Me Roll It
C Moon
Let Em In
Fine Line
Dance Tonight
Calico Skies
Michelle
Good Day Sunshine
Penny Lane
Birthday

And songs to add:

Golden Slumbers (or in other words, entire Abbey Road Medley)
For No One
House Of Wax (Instead of Dance Tonight)
Jenny Wren/How Kind Of You (Chaos song, instead of Fine Line)
Golden Earth Girl (best off the ground song)
Somedays/Little Willow/Great Day (instead of Calico Skies - much better acoustic Flaming Pie songs)
Souvenir
You Never Give Me Your Money (Full band, unlike 2002)
Helter Skelter (why did he drop it anyway?)
She's Leaving Home
and more...

Another suggestion:
-Since the show ends with Sgt Peppers Reprise anyway, and paul seems to look for a great well known shown opener (having changed the opener every tour), why not open with the regular Pepper and finish the set with the reprise?. And then, he can finish the encore with the whole Abbey Road medley (including Golden Slumbers).

And then, I also have a dream to watch Rinse The Raindrops being played live, extended to 10-15 minutes with a great jam, Led Zeppelin. But I don't see that happening...
From A Lover To A Friend

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:10 am

A factor we all have to consider is what Paul wants to play for himself. He does like C-Moon, My Love and Calico Skies as they are so Linda inspired. He just doesn't play for us remember. The day he stops playing for the passion of it, is the day he stops touring all together.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby maccafan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:55 pm

Guys keep in mind, no one is asking for rarities, I noticed that word a couple of times. Wings songs are very well known, they aren't rarities. In spite Of All The Danger, now that's a rarity, Juniors Farm isn't!

Neither is...
I've Had Enough
Girlschool
Getting Closer
No More Lonely Nights
Big Barn Bed
The Mess
Rockestra Theme
Hi Hi Hi
Listen To What The Man Said
Take It Away

These songs would be absolutely awesome performed live and there's nothing obscure or unknown about them! No one is asking for some deep buried album track, it's the best of Wings and his solo material that he should be performing, it's screaming for it!
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:28 pm

maccafan wrote:Guys keep in mind, no one is asking for rarities, I noticed that word a couple of times. Wings songs are very well known, they aren't rarities. In spite Of All The Danger, now that's a rarity, Juniors Farm isn't!

Neither is...
I've Had Enough
Girlschool
Getting Closer
No More Lonely Nights
Big Barn Bed
The Mess
Rockestra Theme
Hi Hi Hi
Listen To What The Man Said
Take It Away

These songs would be absolutely awesome performed live and there's nothing obscure or unknown about them! No one is asking for some deep buried album track, it's the best of Wings and his solo material that he should be performing, it's
screaming for it!

there are only a handful of people in the world that still care about Wings! and most of them come to this forum...he's never gonna play all this stuff, we need to move on guys.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccafan » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:28 am

James1985, I have to tell you that you're wrong! A whole generation of people came up listening to Wings! More and More people are asking for McCartney to perform this music!

You're right McCartney may never perform this music, but he should, and it's just not true that no one cares about it!

Do you know there are tribute bands dedicated to McCartney's Wings and solo music in different countries? A big one here in the States are called Wingsband, check out their website they perform all over!

Also check out McCartney's post Beatles music on Youtube, read the comments and see what people from all over are really saying about this music, you'll see that they indeed do care!!

Also I'm optimistic, you never know?
maccafan
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours