New Set List

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:11 am

She's Leaving Home. Awesome.

I still wish Paul would have added more though. It's basically the same setlist.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:40 am

I agree with you, Chris. Man, I wish Paul would throw show shockers in there. Some songs that would totally BLOW people away. Like Lovely Rita, Helter Skelter, Hi Hi Hi, 1985, Helen Wheels, RINSE THE RAINDROPS, About You....whatever, you get the point. It's just a little dissapointing to me. He's not even playing the best rockers from his current album. Well I mean, Lonely Road and Driving Rain are great, but no Raindrops, About You, Back in the Sunshine? Geesh, those are the best songs!! I actually don't mind now that I'm not seeing him on the second leg. Because I'd be basically seeing the same show I saw in April. I know I usually don't go on a rant like this about Paul, but it just really frustrates me. I know there are people who didn't see him the first time around, but most of those same people already know what the setlist is gonna be. There's no element of surprise.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:00 am

I agree with you. I was afraid that this would sort of happen. In a sense, on the one hand, it is cool that Paul is playing a good, solid decent show. On the other hand, to People like me and Ram, we have seen the show exactly as it is now (save for the three or four different songs). I don't think the intent of Paul's performance is to try to get the 1st leg of the tour patrons back into the mix (this is why the show is similar). I don't ever want to take Macca touring for granted (only 5 tours in past 33 years). However, to expect those who saw the 1st leg to shell out 500 bucks for a similar show, it is difficult to do. I hope the DVD, tv special , and CD contains the new songs.

To those who haven't seen it, the new band kicks butt - you will have an excellent time and you will be certainly impressed with Paul's energy, vocal ability, and stamina. You will be quite taken by the emotional closeness of the initimate part of the acoustic set (one of my big and only criticism of the '89 tour was Paul's coldness with the crowd and his inability to connect between songs)

I do think it's funny in the press interview that he tried to pull only a 90 minute show when he was formulating the concept of this tour. I must tell you that if it was only 90 minutes - it would still be worth the money but it would fall short of my expectations. Glad it is 2 1/2 hours
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Aujouret » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:04 pm

On his past world tours, Paul makes very few changes, so we shouldn't be surprized that there are so few changes. The idea was to play cities he missed last time and play the bigger venues as well as so many people didn't see him the first time. I guess there were lots of people who didn't see him the first time. Seems like I was always reading about fans flying here, there and everywhere last Spring.
She's Leaving Home is very personal to me and I am just thrilled with the addition of that song.
Seems like some people really believed all the rumors running around and are now kind of angry.
I'm so thankful that I'll be able to afford to go see him again.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:23 pm

As I have said many times before, good Lord, people, he can't please everyone. Imagine having that monkey on your back---OK..I have so many songs I could possibly do--how do i give everyone something they will love? He tries a good mix of the "hits" with some surprises thrown in. Sure I'd like to see About You, Rainsdrops, Some Ram and some others, but I can't really complain. He's back, and I'm excited for the 4 other people going with us who DIDNT see the first leg. That's why I have mixed emotions about the set list. I DO want them to see basically the same show that I did in April. They sure have heard me talk baout it enough. I'm happy to see him again since the memory is fading, and fast. She's Leaving Home is awesome, and a review on the other site said that Rusty, Abe & Brian do an awesome job of doing the JL vocals. They said it was incredible. I can't wait.

As for the 90 minute thing, it was clear to me that was BEFORE the 1st leg, when he was putting together the original set list.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:38 pm

quote:On his past world tours, Paul makes very few changes, so we shouldn't be surprized that there are so few changes. The idea was to play cities he missed last time and play the bigger venues as well as so many people didn't see him the first time. I guess there were lots of people who didn't see him the first time. Seems like I was always reading about fans flying here, there and everywhere last Spring.
She's Leaving Home is very personal to me and I am just thrilled with the addition of that song.
Seems like some people really believed all the rumors running around and are now kind of angry.
I'm so thankful that I'll be able to afford to go see him again.

I'm not surprised at all. I've said many times myself that Paul makes very few changes. I just wish he'd start.

quote:As I have said many times before, good Lord, people, he can't please everyone. Imagine having that monkey on your back---OK..I have so many songs I could possibly do--how do i give everyone something they will love? He tries a good mix of the "hits" with some surprises thrown in. Sure I'd like to see About You, Rainsdrops, Some Ram and some others, but I can't really complain. He's back, and I'm excited for the 4 other people going with us who DIDNT see the first leg. That's why I have mixed emotions about the set list. I DO want them to see basically the same show that I did in April. They sure have heard me talk baout it enough. I'm happy to see him again since the memory is fading, and fast. She's Leaving Home is awesome, and a review on the other site said that Rusty, Abe & Brian do an awesome job of doing the JL vocals. They said it was incredible. I can't wait.

As for the 90 minute thing, it was clear to me that was BEFORE the 1st leg, when he was putting together the original set list.

I see what you're saying, man. Like I said, I know there are tons of people who haven't seen him yet. But even BEFORE I saw him for the first time ever in April, I was sick of the same songs. I'm not bashing Paul. I know having that "monkey on his back" must be tough. But to be honest with you, if I never heard a live version of Yesterday, Hey Jude, Let It Be, Live and Let Die, Can't Buy me Love, Let Me Roll It, Fool On The Hill, etc again, then I wouldn't really care. If that makes me a jerk, fine. I just think Paul sells himself short sometimes. He has an AMAZING catalog, but continues to play the same songs he did in 89 and 93, with very few changes. It's almost like he just neglects a HUGE part of his solo career. (AND Beatles career for that matter.) Am I complaining about the show I saw in April? No way, man. The BEST show I have ever seen in my life. But I'm telling you, if I hear the first notes of Yesterday one more time, I'm gonna puke. Substitute it with Heart of the Country or even Young Boy for that matter. I'm sorry, I know I'm probably sounding like a jerk to many here, but it's time for a change. I'm sorry.
Ram1

Postby constv » Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:41 pm

I agree w/Chris, not too many people will afford paying up to $550 twice, so Paul is targetting mostly the people who haven't seen him in the spring. As for myself, I don't mind seeing him perform the same songs two, or three times... I listen to them on CD over and over again anyway, and each time I get a kick out if it! I am glad he has added Michelle, and I couldn't care less about From a lover To a Friend that he apparently has dropped as well. Looks like he has replaced it with Loving Flame, which I would also love to see replaced by... say, Letting Go
constv

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:44 pm

He didn't play FALTAF in the spring either. And he played Loving Flame in the spring as well. Michelle is great. Just too bad he played it on the last tour as well. I would love to hear I Will.
Ram1

Postby constv » Sun Sep 22, 2002 2:48 pm

Ram, this is probably the first time I strongly disagree with you, man! Replace Yesterday with Young Boy??? You've got to be kidding... I have already mentioned in one of my posts here what an amazing experience it was for me to stand in front of the stage in NY in April, a few feet away from HIM, watch and listen to him sing Yesterday, his trade mark... I was tripping, man! It was like seeing the ESSENCE of Paul McCartney for a couple of minutes - right in front of me. Unbelievable. I'll never forget!
constv

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:07 pm

That's great, Cons. I'm not NECESSARILY saying Young Boy. I mean, just whatever. I know he "has to" play Yesterday, or else some fans would leave in an uproar. But I'm just saying for me personally, hearing Yesterday is like me getting up and taking a pee in the morning. It's repetitive. It's routine. Is it a masterpiece? Of course it is. But it's the classic case (for me personally) of hearing a song SO many times, that I almost become desensitized to it. My favorite band (besides Macca/The Beatles) is Pearl Jam. Man, I LOVE the way they do their setlists. Right before the show, in the dressing room, they take out a piece of paper and a marker and say, "What do we want to open with?" "What's next?" Spontanaiety, man!! Different show every night! With Macca, if you're a fan who closely follows him like us, you KNOW what's coming next. It's not nearly as exciting. "All My Loving? Ok, that was a good jam. Getting Better is next." "Ok, it's time for Coming Up." it sounds like I'm bashing Paul, but I'm really not. I'm not Paul McCartney, but sometimes I just feel I know the things he should do to make the shows EVEN better! Come on, let's get serious, people. You wouldn't FREAK if Paul opened up with Rockestra, then slid right into Helter Skelter? Come on. The show in April was AMAZING!! But think about HOW MUCH BETTER it could be! Explore the possibilities! Almost everyone seems to be scared to death of change. Take a risk!!
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours