Songs Paul feels we need to hear

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Songs Paul feels we need to hear

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:09 pm

I think Paul truly believes people will feel cheated if he doesn't play

Yesterday
Let it Be
Live and Let Die
Band on the Run
Jet

I'm of a different school. I think even the casual fan would agree that he doesn't need to hear these songs. That he could get by provided he does at least some classic Beatles (Penny Lane, Fool on the hill, etc) or Wings. What do you think?
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:12 pm

Chris..i agree, but i guess I might feel different if I was seeing him for the first time. Man--it must be tough for him coming up with a set list....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:25 am

Not doing Yesterday is totally out of the question as far as I'm concerned. Every single time I hear the crowd go wild on WOA as Paul sings "Yesterday..." I get goosebumps. That's a magic moment, man, can't take that away. As for any other songs, they're good, but not necessary, I agree. But Yesterday should be on the list for sure.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:16 am

He won't drop Let It Be, Yesterday, Live and Let die, Band on the Run and Hey Jude. The rest is exchangeable. But in a couple of days we'll know the new setlist
Thomas

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:33 pm

Yeah Thom...I think that it goes without saying that he WOULD feel like he was cheating the fans if he didnt do those and others. The quesion is could he get by with NOT doing those?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby megs » Tue Sep 17, 2002 6:17 pm

yeah he probably wont drop any of those songs but i wish he would drop yesterday b/c i think we have all heard like 100 different live versions of that song[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:49 pm

I would be rather p*ssed if he dropped "band on the run". He has to play "yesterday" no matter how much most of us "macca maiacs" get tired of it, it's still a crowd pleaser.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby megs » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:03 pm

yeah i d be pissed to if he dropped BOTR b/c thats one of my favorite macca tunes and this is my 1st time seeing him so i want to see him do that but i really do wish he would drop yesterday and put in another song like "venus and mars/rockshow"[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby scrodfish256 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:07 pm

Ya, I see where your coming from. If we could only make up the set list.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Liam OSM » Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:05 am

Let It Be, Yesterday and Hey Jude are compulsory, for sure. Band On The Run is probably, too, as it's something that the casual Macca fan might be familiar with.

Remember, Paul has two extreme groups to please.

1. People like us who are devout fans and know all his albums inside out. We want to hear our favourites, many of which may be obscure ones. So he will play the odd lesser-known song here and there.

2. People who know Paul as a Beatle but are clueless about his solo work. He needs to play they identifying songs like those listed above, and also play the ones with the best chance of these people "getting" them.

So he compromises. It's that simple.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours