Paul's vocals

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Paul's vocals

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 8:42 am

To those who think Paul's vocals were perfect. I would say reference the DC show. He put a good, solid performance in with a few hiccups along the way. I put the screw ups in because while it made his performance human and endearing to me - it just proves that he is a good 59 year old singer who has his moments of trying to emulate a singer in his 20 and 30's...U can't expect crystalline perfection because he's old....

Hello/Goodbye - His voice cracks at the beginning

Mother Nature's son - Huge screw up at the beggining where his voice imitates Peter Brady in the "Time to change" episode circa 1973. This even stood out when i saw him (i was at the show) he had a big smile and reaction when he did this.

We can work it out - very thin at the bridge parts and he appears out of breath at some points.

Live and Let Die - The part where he goes "When you were young and you heart was an open book"...Barely able to get the line in without a hiccup...
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Sat Sep 14, 2002 10:59 am

I don't know if it was perfect, but it was so better than the last two tours. Amazing performance in Cleveland. Classic.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:27 am

Come on, Chris. I think this post was a little uncalled for. As you well know, I was at the DC show too, and I have the boot as well. With the exception of the FEW minor "screw ups", I thought Paul's vocal performance was EXCELLENT. In fact, that was the number one thing that impressed me at the show.

quote:it just proves that he is a good 59 year old singer who has his moments of trying to emulate a singer in his 20 and 30's...U can't expect crystalline perfection because he's old....

I think that's uncalled for, man.
Ram1

Postby Chris Speers » Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:49 am

Hey, i was totally satisfied with the performance. And it was the best performance i;ve seen of him live. I'm merely pointing out that in a 21/2 hour show - it wasn't perfect. He had his moments of hiccups. Don't get me wrong - I'm merely poining out that people who have Wings Over America or the Seattle show from Wings i mean he was note for note on. I didn't see that at DC and that made it even more human! He's 60 years old for Christ sakes
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby scrodfish256 » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:16 pm

I don't know about the other shows but he was dead on in detroit. I was expecting his voice to give on some of the songs after reading some posts about other shows. I have only seen tapes from 90 and 93 but he sounded better when I seen him live then he did on the tapes.
He was kind of off at times during the concert for NY and the queens jubilee (not to mention he played blackbird way too fast). I tell you what, he sounds ten times better than jagger has for the past 20 years.
scrodfish256
Silver member
Silver member

Postby megs » Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:24 pm

I think his voice sounds really good for being 60 and he barly does mess up on any of his concerts that he just did last spring, im just waiting to hear what it sounds like now when he comes back to boston this october[8D]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:18 am

I think it sounds really good for a 40 year old--his voice sounds so much stronger to me than other folks have around the age of 60.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby constv » Sun Sep 22, 2002 1:14 am

Macca at 70 will sound better to me than Creed! [;)] We can't expect him to be the same vocal powerhouse as he was in the 60s, 70s, and even in the 80s. See, that's Paul's "problem"... All his life, he has been so brilliant in singing and songwriting that people start bitching every single time he slips just a tiny bit. We always expect perfection from the guy, and - good God - has he been delivering!!! C'mon, people, listen to Dave Mathews!!!!!!! That guy is young, he's on every radio station these days, and he sounds as if he sings out of his constipated ass! And did I mention Creed???
constv

Postby Liam OSM » Sun Sep 22, 2002 6:39 am

I must say, in principle I agree with Chris - we can't expect his voice to be the same as it was 30 years ago. However, based on DR, I think he's still got a lot of vocal ability. It takes a lot of effort to go out there and sing like that for 2-2.5hrs every night for long periods like this, and Paul probably doesn't have quite as much energy as he used to. That's all.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Brains » Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:45 am

His current set list is longer than ever! So I think the energy argument isn't too good. Paul obviously feels he can go on for that long without it affecting his vocals too much.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours