Why Does Paul Never Sing His 80's Hits Live?

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Does Paul Never Sing His 80's Hits Live?

Postby Harrythebannister » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:44 am

pologallagher wrote:Hi,
and since his 80's albums are probably the weakest of his career he sees no point on exploring them too much.

Uummm! Can't agree with you there I'm afraid. Both Tug Of War and Flowers are amongst his finest solo albums and even McCartney 2 and Press have their merits. Only Pipes Of Peace is the weak link.
I think the main problem is that critics have generally poo-poo'd this period as Macca's sugary period and I'm sure Paul realises this, so he tends to steer clear of these albums. For me this is a shame as Take It Away, Stranglehold and even Tug Of War would sound great live. In fact Tug Of War could even replace the tedious Live & Let Die with the fireworks and explosions. Just a thought.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ahawk66 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am

I think that aside from that '89-91 era tour, he's pretty much left off most of the '80s stuff. There are a few I'd love to hear him do live because I think they're at least known enough to not be filler, and because they're just great songs. I really liked ToW as an album, so I'd take almost anything off that. I know he had that beef with Michael Jackson, but "Say Say Say" would probably go over pretty well now. It would sound terrific with the band, and Paul could just sing the whole thing.

For the most part, I agree that Paul's '80s stuff - at times - was subpar to his usual output, but he wouldn't be the only artist of his generation to struggle in the '80s (Dylan, The Stones, The Who). That said, I LOVE some of his '80s stuff as much as anything - all of the "Tug of War" album, the song "Pipes of Peace", "No More Lonely Nights", "My Brave Face", and some of his obscure or unreleased tracks ("Twice in a Lifetime" and "Yvonne" come to mind).

His catalog is SO huge that it has to be hard to hit everything because, after his required cannon of songs, he doesn't have much left for much else.

I was a little bummed at the crowd reaction when he played "Sing the Changes" at the Pittsburgh show a couple of years ago. People headed to the bathroom or the concessions in droves, and I thought it was a great live song. But, it doesn't have the reach of "Jet", so that's probably why he can't necessarily do everything he wants because of crowd expectations.
ahawk66

Postby mr h atom » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:07 am

..and none of these songs will ever have the 'reach' if he keeps giving them such short shrift !

remember, this is the guy who paid too much attention to what some of the fans, and most of the critics, had to say about what is clearly one of his best, if not his very best, solo album...and so he, himself, dissed all over 'ram' for an eon...only when a true fan pointed out that all those ignoramuses were wrong did paul change his own mind about what is clearly one freakin' fantastic album !

to each his own and all...but a mccarney concert where he simply would not play any of those classic, but overused, chestnuts and, instead, played stuff from any of these eras that has not gotten its rightful day in the sun will, creatively, beat the living shite out of any of the nicely manicured, rather boring, rather repetetative hits parade he and his band now spin effortlessly in thier sleep !

the '80's albums are not, imho, uneven or lesser efforts in the slightest...they are as good as any he has ever done...TOW, PTP & FITD are far better than DR...and i quite like DR !

the dudes getting older...he needs to pay alot more attention to his complete legacy...instead of spinnin' it on for the wee few who really don't care a whit about his very impressive, quite creative solo career
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Mr. H,

You said a mouth full.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Craigerb » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:25 pm

mr h atom wrote: this is the guy who paid too much attention to what some of the fans, and most of the critics, had to say about what is clearly one of his best, if not his very best, solo album...

...and the same could be said about his film "GMRTBS"!
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ahawk66 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Since I love to run Paul's career from the comfort of my own home :wink: :

All this talk about these old (and underheard) tracks makes me think I'd like to see another unplugged-type show where he plays a lot of lesser-known tunes of his. I'd be very interested in a more-acoustic sounding "Pipes of Peace", or even something like "Twice in a Lifetime".
ahawk66

Postby Girl4Beats » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:57 pm

ahawk66,

That would be something interesting to see. I would love to see/hear something like that. He does have an impressive catalog and he hasn't even made a dent in any of the songs he always sings in concert. Too bad no one can get in touch with him and suggest this to him. There are so many wonderful tunes he could sing. This has been hashed out in other threads. But the man just keep singing the "safe songs".

I don't think he needs to "prove" himself anymore. He has been No. 1 in the rock, classical and now jazz charts. What more can he conquer? He has done ballet too. Now he should do somethign for the die hard fans. And as said before, not the Charlie Come Lately ones.

'Nuff Said.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby oobujoobu1971 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Paul's contempt for his 80s material has always been evident.

Even going right back to that very first University tour in 1972, when he wasn't playing any Beatles songs, and had a very limited catalogue of solo material to choose from, he STILL didn't do anything from the 80s. No Pipes of Peace, no Press, nothing.

That speaks volumes to me. :wink:
Twitter - Tweets from The Beatles 50 years ago today - https://twitter.com/#!/BeatlesAt50
Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/OobuJoobu1971
oobujoobu1971

Postby mr h atom » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:42 pm

man, i TOTALLY agree, oobu...what the heck was he thinking...personally: what the heck does he have that tardis for if not to play those great '80's tracks during the '72 tour...

I MEAN COME ON, ALREADY !!!! :roll:
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Harrythebannister » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:21 am

oobujoobu1971 wrote:Paul's contempt for his 80s material has always been evident.

Even going right back to that very first University tour in 1972, when he wasn't playing any Beatles songs, and had a very limited catalogue of solo material to choose from, he STILL didn't do anything from the 80s. No Pipes of Peace, no Press, nothing.

That speaks volumes to me. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's my kinda post. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours