Good Evening Europe Tour: Hamburg Dec 2 2009

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Tonight Hamburg

Postby EddieV » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:22 pm

Hopefully we will get reports from the concert??? Bluebird is going I know
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Good Evening Europe Tour: Hamburg Dec 2 2009

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 pm

Stay tuned for the report to come in from the opening of Paul McCartney's Good Evening Europe Tour opening tonight in Hamburg, Germany. Our friend, Bob Gannon is in Hamburg and will be report on the gig.
http://www.macca-central.com/news/?3205
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Re: Good Evening Europe Tour: Hamburg Dec 2 2009

Postby cjm320 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:01 pm

Just read a report from the show. Basic review, noting that ADITL/GPAC, Here Today, My Love and Something are still on the setlist.
cjm320

Re: Good Evening Europe Tour: Hamburg Dec 2 2009

Postby linclink » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:33 pm

From the Beatle News Briefs site...The big news being "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" (has that ever been done live by him before?) & the new " I Want to Come Home", but not far behind is the reappearance of "Magical Mystery Tour" & "And I Love Her". Nice. All that & the soundcheck set list looked like fun too!! What was cut was Calico Skies, I'm Down, & I Saw Her Standing There.
Here's the original link (so you can see the photos too!):
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2082 ... rst-photos
And now onto the report...
Here's a report direct from Hamburg with text and photos on the show from Bob Gannon. (Thanks again, Bob!) (You can find more photos from Bob in the slideshow at the bottom of the page. And we have more photos we'll be putting online, so check back.)

Here's Bob's report:

Hi Gang,

I'm sucking fumes from a long exciting Beatle day here in Hamburg. It started at 1 p.m. where we went to the Beatles Store for a meet & greet with Klaus Voorman who was promoting his new album "A sideman's journey".
It started with a tour of the Beatles museum, I must say that it's much better than the Liverpool one. Then came an interview, a preview of the making of the album film with Ringo and Paul in it, followed by a question and answer session and finally an autograph signing. Klaus was in good form and signed an item for everyone. We then left there at 4:40 p.m.and made a beeline for the Color Line Arena where our VIP tickets said that we were to be there by 530 p.m.
While on line, we started talking to other fans to find out that a guy from Slovakia was going to be the only person at sound check. We had spoken to several of the travel package employees and asked if we could upgrade to the sound check package. They stated that they would ask Paul's people and get back to us. We then were carted off to a skybox for the VIP reception and dinner. It was vegetarian and pretty good other than the fact we ate very little. Paul's people upgraded us to sound check an we quietly left with the other person. So there we are waiting for Paul to arrive and give three lucky fans a private concert. We were told that Paul was running late as he had just arrived from London where he attended Beatrice's school play. While we waited, Shelly (who works for Paul) brought us up to the stage to see Paul's guitars. While we were talking amongst ourselves, Rusty came off stage to say hi to Shelly and greet the sound check guests. Brian Ray and Wix were next to come down . Abe stayed behind his drum kit but waved and blew kisses from his kit. Really already, this has turned out beyond belief.
Shelly then informs us that she is upgrading our seats to the first row right under Paul's mic. Wow!! Christmas prezzie early!! She also gave us each one of Paul's guitar picks. We then went back to our seats as we heard that Paul had arrived. Paul came in and did sound check.

Sound check Hamburg:
01. Honey Hush
02. Honey Don't
03. Hamburg jam
04. Coming Up
05. All my Loving
06. I want to Come Home
07. Lady Madonna
08. Midnight Special
09. And I Love Her
10. Here Today
11. Dance Tonight
12. Something
13. Yesterday

While we were there, Nancy came over and introduced herself. She was very nice and looked very pretty. She recognized my friend and gave her a hug while saying hello. Sound check finished and we went back to the skybox very shortly before we were told that we must get to our seats as the show as about to begin. Made our way down to our seats and waited until a little past 9pm when Paul came on stage with a black Beatle coat and black pants with a white shirt with black suspenders underneath.
Paul was very chatty al night with the audience and the level of energy was off the charts. He seemed to really be enjoying his return to Hamburg. He welcomed some old friends "Astrid Kircherr, Klaus Voorman who were in the audience. Some small changes to the setist. First, the world premiere of ("I want to) Come Home", which I thought played extremely well live. And then later on we finally got "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da. He spoke German on several occasions, setting up "My Love", "Here Today" and "Something".
For "Here Today" he told the story of the song and then encouraged the audience with "Let' hear it for John". While the crowd roared, Paul leaned back and pointed at the sky and said "are you listening old friend".
All in all just a super show with incredible energy. It may have ben the best show i've seen this year. Arena was camera friendly. Staff was friendly and helpful. Here's the set list for Hamburg

Set List
01. Magical Mystery Tour
02. Drive my car
03. Jet
04. Only Mama Knows
05. Flaming Pie
06. Got to get you into my life
07. Let Me roll it/ Foxy Lady outro
08. Highway
09. Long and winding road
10. I want to Come Home
11. My Love
12. Blackbird
13. Here Today
14. Dance tonight
15. And I love Her
16. Mrs Vanderbilt
17. Eleanor Rigby
18. Band on the run
19. Ob-la-di, ob-la-da
20. Sing the changes
21. Back in the USSR
22. Something
23. I've got a feeling with extended jam
24. Paperback Writer with extended jam
25. A Day in the Life/ Give Peace a chance
26. Let it Be
27. Live and let Die
28. Hey Jude

Encore #1
29. Day Tripper
30. Lady Madonna
31. Get back

Encore #2
32. Yesterday
33. Helter Skelter
34. Sgt Pepper reprise into The End
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Re: Tonight Hamburg

Postby Paul_Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:16 am

Love how the set-list for tonight was a lot better than what he played during the 09 Summer Tour...
These are the days of miracle and wonder....
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby linclink » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:33 am

Paul_Fan wrote:Love how the set-list for tonight was a lot better than what he played during the 09 Summer Tour...

Except that it's almost exactly the same exact show! The only differences were tonight he added "Magical Mystery Tour", "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da", "And I Love Her" & "(I Want To) Come Home", and he cut out "I'm Down", "I Saw Her Standing There", & "Calico Skies"...other than those 3-4 songs, the other 30 or so were exactly the same, and in almost the same order as well. Look I'm sure the performance was great but were talking about 90% the same set lists & shows.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:40 am

He played obla-di obla-da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:50 am

little lamb dragonfly wrote:He played obla-di obla-da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to hear that and I Want To Come Home and And I Love Her ^:)^
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paul_Fan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:27 pm

linclink wrote:
Paul_Fan wrote:Love how the set-list for tonight was a lot better than what he played during the 09 Summer Tour...

Except that it's almost exactly the same exact show! The only differences were tonight he added "Magical Mystery Tour", "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da", "And I Love Her" & "(I Want To) Come Home", and he cut out "I'm Down", "I Saw Her Standing There", & "Calico Skies"...other than those 3-4 songs, the other 30 or so were exactly the same, and in almost the same order as well. Look I'm sure the performance was great but were talking about 90% the same set lists & shows.

That maybe the case, but my favorite Beatles songs are those... lol...
These are the days of miracle and wonder....
Paul_Fan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby eggman1979 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:22 pm

EddieV wrote:
little lamb dragonfly wrote:He played obla-di obla-da!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would love to hear that and I Want To Come Home and And I Love Her ^:)^

Me too. Can't believe there's no video of those songs on youtube yet, damn! :-x
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours