Sound Check Report: Change Begins Within concert

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Sound Check Report: Change Begins Within concert

Postby linclink » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:18 pm

Another first hand report from http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/fabnews.htm
Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr make 'Change From Within' a historic evening: complete report, setlist
April 4, 10:43 PM · 9 comments
ShareThis Feed

Former Beatle Paul McCartney performs at the Change Begins Within Concert Saturday in New York
backed by drummer Abe Laboriel Jr. (AP Photo/Stephen Chernin)

Her'es a complete report on the concert from Randy Dry:

At the end of tonight's concert at Radio City Music Hall, Paul performed 3 songs with Ringo:
With A Little Help From My Friends
Cosmically Conscious (!!)
I Saw Her Standing There

Here's a rundown of the complete show. Enjoy!

-Randy

+++++

The entire concert was videotaped and started at 7:35pm.

Angelo Badalamenti (piano)
David Lynch speaks
Bettye Lavette and Moby
Moby (solo)
Bettye Lavette and Moby (again)
Video about TM in schools
David Lynch and Laura Dern (banter)
Sheryl Crow
Sheryl Crow with Ben Harper on slide guitar - My Sweet Lord (dedicated to George)
Russell Simmons (video)
Jerry Seinfeld (10 mins of very funny standup)
Eddie Vedder solo
Eddie Vedder with Ben Harper
Ben Harper and his band, the Relentless7
Eddie Vedder and Ben Harper - Under Pressure
Intermission
Mike Love speaks about going to Rishikesh in '68
Donovan
- Hurdy Gurdy Man (with Ben Harper and Jim James)
- Wear Your Love Like Heaven (with Ben Harper and Jim James)
- Season of the Witch (with Sheryl Crow, Moby, Ben Harper and Jim James)
Donovan talks about George and Rishikesh
Donovan and Paul Horn
Paul Horn solo flute piece - dedicated to George and John
Howard Stern (talks about how Maharishi and TM saved his mother's life, says he's been meditating for over 30 years)

Ringo's 3-song set was performed with Ben Harper and his band, the Relentless 7:
- It Don't Come Easy (with Ben Harper on slide guitar and Eddie Vedder on backing vocals). Ringo is out in front of the band, singing. Wearing black jacket over a black and silver designer t-shirt and black pants.
- Ringo dedicates this song to George "who would have been here tonight"...tells story of how he wrote the song with George, and how George added the lines about Krishna.
- Then Ringo says "We're all meditatin' here tonight. I'm meditatin' right now. I'm gonna do some more meditatin' on me drums." and takes his place behind his drum kit.
- Boys (again with Ben Harper and Eddie Vedder). Ringo introduces this song by saying "I've been doing this song longer than Howard Stern's been meditatin'." He flubs the lyrics a few times...every verse starts with "My girl says when I kiss her lips..."
- Ringo comes back up front for his third and final number: Yellow Submarine (with Sheryl Crow and Eddie Vedder on backing vocals). Entire crowd is on their feet, singing along. Big image of Yellow Submarine (from DVD cover art) on screen behind him.

Much as I love Ringo, his set was pretty sloppy. His voice was rough and off-key in several places (even for Ringo), and he flubbed the lyrics in each of his songs. But he appeared to be having a ball, and so was the audience.

Then David Lynch and Laura Dern vamp for 15 minutes as the roadies busily set up the stage for Paul and his band. Finally, at 10:30pm, Lynch introduces a short video of Beatles footage from '64 (screaming fans, waving to fans) followed by footage of the Beatles in India with Maharishi (all the clips we've seen before). Then Lynch introduces Paul.

Paul and his band (Wix, Rusty, Brian, Abe) deliver a sparkling 45-minute set. Seems like a tune-up for the upcoming Coachella and Vegas shows, complete with the familiar video footage played on the big screen behind them during each song. Paul and his band sound terrific, and the excellent acoustics at Radio City make it even better. Paul looks dapper in black suit with white shirt, playing Hofner bass.

At one point during the set, Paul playfully admonishes a fan in the front row for holding up a sign asking for his guitar pick. "Point taken, you're gonna get the guitar pick, now put the sign away please." (He did end up giving the fan his pick.) Later, he remarks how great it is to be playing a historic venue like Radio City. "I came to the Christmas Show here last year. Very good, highly recommended," he quipped.

Here's Paul set:
Drive My Car
Jet
Got To Get You Into My Life
(moves to piano)
Let It Be
Lady Madonna
(band leaves, Paul alone out front with acoustic)
Blackbird (Paul introduces song with the familiar story of how/why he wrote it, and how far America has come now that Obama is president..."That's change, man.")
Here Today (dedicated to John..."I love New York, and so did John.")
(band returns, Paul back on Hofner)
Band On The Run
Can't Buy Me Love (crowd leaps to their feet)

Then Paul introduces "Billy Shears" and Ringo trots out to sing With A Little Help From My Friends with Paul and his band. Ringo's voice is still a bit rough, but what a treat to see Ringo and Paul up front sharing a mic, singing this song together. Paul harmonizes beautifully throughout: "Do you neeeed anybody?"

To my knowledge, Paul and Ringo have never performed this song live together before.

Ringo joins Paul and his band for a group bow, then Paul and Ringo walk off stage, arm in arm, along with the rest of the band. They come back in a few minutes, along with every performer of the night. Ringo positions himself on his drum kit next to Moby (on percussion) and Abe (on his drum kit).

Then comes the night's biggest surprise. Paul tells everyone that "I wrote this next song in Rishikesh when we were visiting Maharishi," and that Maharishi always used to say "it's such a joy" and "time to get cosmically conscious". And with that, Paul leads the entire all-star ensemble into Cosmically Conscious and invites the crowd to sing along. The first time this song has ever been performed live, and with Ringo on drums no less!

Then comes the final number of the night: I Saw Her Standing There. Again, what a treat to see Ringo up there on the drums behind Paul and the rest of the band.

I believe this concert marks the first time Paul and Ringo performed together on the same stage in NY since 1966. Also think this is the first time Paul played Radio City, although Ringo has played there before with his All Starr Band.

All in all, a fabulous concert. Can't wait for the DVD!

+++++

Merch sold at the concert included two late '60s-style posters (one red, one blue) with image of Paul (standing, smiling, right arm raised in the air, giving thumbs-up sign) priced at $100 each. Paul's name (as headliner) listed in large letters across the top; all other performers listed at the bottom: Ringo Starr, Sheryl Crow, Donovan, Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Moby, Paul Horn, Bettye Lavette, Jim James. Also printed on poster: Change Begin Within - A Benefit Concert For The David Lynch Foundation, April 4, 2009, Radio City Music Hall. A third poster (smaller, with image of Paul superimposed over a black and white photo of Paul and Ringo from '68) was priced at $60. Note: Signed posters are available online at DLF.TV - proceeds support the David Lynch Foundation.

Also available: 3 t-shirts featuring the same image of Paul and concert info...two different styles priced at $35 (one dark blue, one white) and a pink ladies tee for $40.

Ringo's art was also being sold at a separate table in the lobby, with proceeds going to the David Lynch Foundation.

A free, 20-page, full-color 8 1/2" x 11" program was given to all ticketholders as they took their seats, with photos and testimonials from Paul, Ringo and others. (Reminded me a bit of the free "Friends of the Earth" programs given out during the 1989-90 tour.)

And a quick note from Patti Murawski:

On the way home 1010 WINS radio reported that Olivia and Yoko were both in the audience (I never saw them). One of my friends saw Barbara Bach walk by her during the show, along with Ringo's lawyer, Bruce Grakal.

Paul's band watched the show from the audience then at the intermission they all went backstage.

Paul's voice sounded superb!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby RickStark79 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:07 pm

EddieV wrote:Must be a little embarrasing for Ringo to sing Yellow Submarine

Why do you say that?
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 pm

I think if Ringos voice sounded a little rough, it may be because he droped the key a bit too far into his lower register. Pushing his voice a bit might sound better....or...maybe not ;) :-??
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:59 am

RickStark79 wrote:

Why do you say that?

I know it is a great song but it is a kids song??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:32 am

EddieV wrote:
RickStark79 wrote:

Why do you say that?

No, it's a Beatles song.

Couldn't the same thing be said about Octopus's Garden then?
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JumpinJoe49 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 am

EddieV wrote:
RickStark79 wrote:

Why do you say that?

:shock: A kid's song????.....I was a kid when The Beatles came out with that song and Ringo sang it. These two guys still ROCKING at this time.....makes me wish I WAS a kid again. Oh well, ROCK Paul and Ringo and sing whatever you two want....... \:d/ :-BD
JumpinJoe49
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:18 pm

regardless of what you think of the song yellow submarine...that song, sung with that band, is a very large part of the reason ringo is famous. i'd guess he'll be singing it as long as he is...singing. he may have better solo songs, but if the audience isn't familiar with it, it isn't going to be looked at as a chance to hear the vast unheard ringo library...it'll be considered a time for a bathroom break.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours