Favourite guitarist?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: Favourite guitarist?

Postby jules » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 pm

Gfgb: I hate to correct you, but Macca did the solo on Fixing A Hole! He did most of the guitar work on Sgt. Peppers. One of the reasons why Harrison wasn't so keen on it.
jules

Postby flextint » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:42 pm

Wasn't the post favorite guitarist and not best guitarist?I definetly pick george harrison on my list if this is the case.In fact i put him first as a lead guitarist ahead of even paul and john.yes i said that ahead of paul and john!![i like the slide guitar and sitar sound]
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:57 pm

As of late.
There has only been one guitarist that has caught my ear.
Keith Richards.

I'm dying for a new Stones record or Keef+x-pensive winos record.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EddieV » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:As of late.
There has only been one guitarist that has caught my ear.
Keith Richards.

I'm dying for a new Stones record or Keef+x-pensive winos record.

Well I thinnk you have to wait while for a new Stones record. Between Bigger Bang and Bridges To Babylon there was 8 years!!

Macca works a little quicker!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gfgb123 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:50 pm

jules wrote:Gfgb: I hate to correct you, but Macca did the solo on Fixing A Hole! He did most of the guitar work on Sgt. Peppers. One of the reasons why Harrison wasn't so keen on it.

Are you sure about that? Always good to get a new bit of information. Maybe that's why it doesn't sound like a Carl Perkins solo. I know Macca played the guitar solo in "Good Morning, Good Morning" since it is very similar to the one on "Taxman" (a bit of a Hendrix influence).
gfgb123

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 am

...FOUR YEARS LATER... :wink:

a little up 'n comer named joe bonamassa

top honors to chris for the nod to the late, but still great gary moore
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 pm

and bonamassa is a pretty good call too. he did a blues guitar duet with another stud no one seems to know about, derek trucks, during a recent rock and roll hall of fame induction ceremony featuring new inductee albert king.

trucks is so good (okay, and maybe even a little egotistical) that he vows never to play a song twice the same way.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 pm

If we're talking favorite guitarist, I'd have to go with George Harrison as Flextint said many years ago...however Macca's no slouch especially on acoustic, I think. I also like Paul Simon's under-appreciated acoustic playing. The unique rhythm-y, chiming leads of U2's the Edge are also some of my favorites.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 29, 2012 11:36 pm

rhythmy-chimy is cool...and the edge is one of the best at that...i also rather like robert smith: between he and whoever picks up the other ax, backed by gallups killer bass...live sets/songs by the cure are trancendant

of course, jeff beck

peter buck comes to mind...they are all good in thier own way

i've seen a few concert videos of dave gilmour...he just keeps getting better and better

i like simon: he's in the same kinda boat as bruce cockburn, james taylor and , when he does it, lindsey buckinham..or tim reynolds...yeah

i've heard of that trucks guy, chris...he is, indeed, very good...went and married susan tedeschi...great show, if you can catch it ! :-D

how about jonny lang ?
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby bonovox66 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:35 pm

I might have missed it but did anyone mention Lindsey Buckingham? I know he is not "flashy" like most on the list but if you have ever seen him play live you can't help but watch him play and just think to yourself "how is that humanly possible?"
I am glad to see so many people list The Edge, but his guitar playing is really only as good as Adam's bass. The man has said he learned ot play guitar by trying to play along with Adam. Another very underrated guitarist is Rick McCollum from the Afghan Whigs in my opinion. He fits somewhere between Hendrix's crazy free spirit style and the subtle restraint of The Edge. I also just have to say, even though I am not much of a fan Eddie Van Halen should be on anyone's list of greatest guitarists.
And I forget who mentioned Robert Smith but the guitar solo on From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea is one of the best ever!
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists