2008 Superbowl halftime show

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

2008 Superbowl halftime show

Postby chris » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:19 pm

the halftime shows during the superbowl of late have been much better. we have had the stones, mccartney, prince and (this year) tom petty. a huge step up in quality...i say. but some comments for this years show...

his set was great...he has so many great songs...and he showed them off well. good performances by everyone in the band.

american girl
won't back down
freefalling
running down a dream

started out ...no lights in the staduim at all. then, the stage would pulse with light (along with an heartbeat). was it me or was the audio and the visual out of sync?

then a huge guitar was lit...circling the stage, until it "penetrated" the stage and became one with it. and they said prince's show may have been phallic...

whats up with the obviously asked to raise your hands in celebration, young-uns pretending to be fans. i know its important to the networks to seem like everyone is having fun...but this seems fake.

speaking of fake...did tom petty seem bored? his performance was fine...great even (was always a fan) but he seemed uninterested.

i liked the show. again, i like petty. but it seemed so prefabricated...so artificial.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2008 Superbowl halftime show

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:19 am

whats up with the obviously asked to raise your hands in celebration, young-uns pretending to be fans. i know its important to the networks to seem like everyone is having fun...but this seems fake.

Macca had that too as I remember....didnt see the stones or prince...were they there for them too?
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:23 am

Great show by Tom! I'm way overdue to see him in concert!
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:28 am

didn't make it to halftime - went to bed when Patriots scored the first touchdown - thought game was over :oops:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby A. » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:10 am

just saw that on youtube - had say I had the same impression as chris - it looked like he didn't care :roll:

still good to see him in good form - his vocal performance in american girl was almost like on the original record.
A.

Postby EddieV » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:52 am

Last time I saw Tom Petty he looked like George in 1969 :roll:
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby lampie1970 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:12 pm

the young 'uns are especially picked to be in that section. So yeah, they are coached. I only know this cause i wanted to be one of the ones screaming and yelling for Paul when he was here in Jax...My screaming and yelling would have been genuine, but i dont think i am considered a young 'un anymore :(
I love the sound of Paul screaming in the morning...
lampie1970

Postby gfgb123 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Still no uniform malfunction but they did focus on one female showing cleavage. It's Fox's and the NFL's limit I guess. Maybe Tom Petty was bored from seeing a commercial break after nearly every down played.
gfgb123

Postby mageestout » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:55 pm

Love Tom but as many have said, he looked a bit bored. He needs to cut the whiskers. Our local paper said it should have been "Tom Petty and the Hipbreakers"

I'm sure the NFL looked at Tom as a "safe act" to have. Tom appeals to people who have good taste in music & to the heartland of America. No Janet wardrobe malfunctions or gyrations of Prince. Once again it's the whole commercial aspect of it, not the music.

Plus, I shutter to think of a Tom Petty wardrobe malfunction. :? (perhaps that would be considered Full MOON fever)

I agree, the kids by the stage had to be coached to feign excitement.

American Girl & Running were good choices but he needed some more "peppier" tunes to get the crowd honestly excited.
mageestout

Postby Scott Dossett » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:39 pm

Tom is one of my all time favorites...but did they have to "varnish" his beard...He's supposed to be grizzled gray and not varnished dark brown. :roll:

p.s. Show was great !
Tomorrow Never Knows
Scott Dossett

Return to Music - Other Artists