Roger Waters

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Roger Waters

Postby EddieV » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:33 pm

I´m going to see him in concert in May. Anyone seen him live??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Roger Waters

Postby A. » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:42 pm

I did.

For me he was the essence of Pink Floyd (I really don't think that momentary lapse of the reason and - admitedly much better - division bell were Pink Floyd records. More like David Gilmour & co.

Do not expect spectacular visual side - although it's good it is far from this on PF Pulse for example.
But of course it is music that matters the most - and you'll hear that he still sings quite well, he even improved techinique through the years. He does not stick to originals note-to-note, which is good.
Setlist is delicious really and it contains some suprpises, although I wish he revisited Final Cut a bit more often.
The gig will be veeery long and - you bet- more than satysfying.

Geeez... I'm quite jealous, u know?
A.

Postby chris » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:54 pm

i did too. it was years ago. maybe 87? it was in one of those outdoor arenas where most of the audience sits on a lawn. but those with the best seats sit up close in a covered (from the elements) pavillion. there were not many people there at all. but at the end of the show...he started doing the classic brain damage/eclipse (from dark side). the mood was electric. just as he sang the line..."the lunatic is on the grass"...the spotlights go on to show only one single person in the middle of the entire lawn section. arguably one of the funniest moments i have ever witnessed at a live concert.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gfgb123 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 pm

I saw him last May at the Meadowlands. Great show. I had seen him a year before when he had Nick Mason as a guest on the "Dark Side of the Moon" segment. So I guess I saw the rhythm section of Pink Floyd.
gfgb123

Postby akweaver » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:06 am

Never had the privilege of seeing Roger Waters as a solo artist yet did take the opportunity in 1987???to catch Pink Floyd in Phoenix. I haven't been the same ever since...they are awesome & Roger Waters, easily a major part of the right mix.
The Toons begin dancing and singing.
akweaver
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jjs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Everyone has their own opinion. IMO, Roger was the "stronger" creative force in terms of song writing in Pink Floyd, but it's clear to see from the solo records he wasn't the ONLY creative force. I find his solo material occasionally interesting, but totally self-absorbed, overbearing and lacking the musical innovation and variety of a Pink Floyd record. Roger is a better songwriter and coordinator IMO, but solo wise, I enjoy David's solo records and Roger-less Pink Floyd to Roger's solo stuff. Voice wise, I don't think i could stand to hear Roger sing for two hours.
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:33 pm

To me he is Pink Floyd. He was the one who wrote most of the songs!! Of course Gilmour is a great guitarist, but I´ve heard that Waters is bringing a great one on guitar!
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 pm

no question he was the main dude in the floyd. to illustrate as such...roger's first (?) solo album, the pros and cons of hitchhiking (with a just starting to be able to play well again, eric clapton on guitar) sounded more like the floyd than any of floyd's post waters output. after that, however...his offerings were indded self indulgent rubbish. radio chaos make me throw up in my mouth a little bit.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Wed May 14, 2008 3:20 am

What a concert. So perfect music. One of the best concerts I´ve been to!! :salute
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jules » Wed May 14, 2008 1:50 pm

I like "Radio Chaos" and "Amused to Death". Is "The Pros and Cons of Hitch-hiking" worth getting?
jules

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists