Christian Rock

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Christian Rock

Postby DeRick » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:35 pm

At the risk of being misunderstood, by all means, THIS TOPIC IS NOT ABOUT "RELIGION" (or which is wrong or right). I was just wondering if any of you ever listen to what's labeled as "Christian Rock" like MercyMe, Casting Crowns, Jars of clay, Third Day, Petra and DC Talk. I dont label them anything but good bands. its the only modern rock i listen to. Forget the fact theyre labeled "Christian" these are good modern bands, but it seems to me that just because thier Christian they're put in the catagory as "Contemporary Christian Music", thats absurd, in that case why not put George Harrison in "Hindu Rock" (im not saying he was hindu but he seemed to embraced it alot), or what about "Jewish Rock" (i cant name any Jewish artists off the top of my head at the moment) etc..
These are really good positive bands i just listed above. Anyone ever listen to them?
Last edited by DeRick on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeRick

Re: Christian Rock

Postby mrsm » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:13 pm

i've listened to casting crowns and jars of clay more so than the others. i think they are pretty awsome . i listen to a very wide variety of music, depending on the mood, i probably don't listen to christian rock as much. if you get into the marketing aspect of it , there is certainly a market for it.
i light a candle to our love, in love all problems disappear.
mrsm

Postby chris » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:35 pm

just asking here...are they labelled christian rock because thats what they write about? must be...because i know plenty of musicians of faith who write about the usual rock topics...girls...cars...and going out on a saturday night...who would never be labelled as christain rock. is it possible they are labelled as such because they choose to be? (by way of song topics, that is?)
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 pm

How do I say it...

Just because your schlock/MOR/crap-rock song lyrics are about Jesus doesn't mean your group isn't a schlock/MOR/crap-rock group.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby cherry_tcbp » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Jars of Clay is an amazing band...just check their first album, or "If I Left the Zoo"...they're excellent
/ In your world no one is dying alone /

http://www.myspace.com/thecherrybluesproject
cherry_tcbp

Postby akweaver » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:58 am

Some rock a little harder but merely want to give credit to God for the gift of music, nothing more. It is agreed not all Christian bands sound good.

Read a conversation about the way Mick Jagger chose to express his faith providing it is???true.

http://thepigtownhorn.blogspot.com/search?q=mick+jagger
Last edited by akweaver on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Toons begin dancing and singing.
akweaver
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:39 am

jgkojak wrote:How do I say it...

Just because your schlock/MOR/crap-rock song lyrics are about Jesus doesn't mean your group isn't a schlock/MOR/crap-rock group.

:cheers :lol:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists