Briitish rock music vs. American rock music

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Briitish rock music vs. American rock music

Postby EddieV » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:20 am

Any difference?? Which is the best??

I think over the years the difference was bigger than it is now. You could hear if it was Brittish or American easily, but now it is more difficult..

I have grown more and more into American music, but my foundation will always be Brittish rock music
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Briitish rock music vs. American rock music

Postby nagymedve » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:41 am

Homer Simpson said once in London that their Beatles was bigger than England's Rolling Stones.
nagymedve

Postby EddieV » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:47 am

nagymedve wrote:Homer Simpson said once in London that their Beatles was bigger than England's Rolling Stones.

:lol: :lol:
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:34 am

There's been a lot of great American bands, but even the best of them pale in comparison to the great British bands.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby cleptosid » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 am

A topic I have debated and debated over the years. For some reason British bands were more apt to be successful Beatles, Stones,Led Zep, Purple, Sabbath, Queen I could go on for days. American Bands didn't quite measure up to the same standards. Two exceptions are Aerosmith and the other is KISS who both I can boast of having seen live over 20 times along with Macca. Then you have the southern rock experience. That whole southern rock thing just gags me to the point of not allowing anything past Washington DC heading south to be played on my system. I like musicians who have a vision or an interpretation not red necks who like breaking law's and telling everyone how bad they are and how cold their beer is. Now in a totally different direction take the beach boy's for instance they were so big that their sound is recognizable anywhere in the world. But there is more to life than Red cars and surfing which made up practically all of their E A B chord progressions. But you would have to search far and wide to find another iconic American band that held the attention of young audiences for a period of more than a few weeks. British bands just seemed more polished and professional from 1964-1984. After the mid 80's I believe it fell to hell. Most acts were far more popular in the police blotters of any towns local newspapers. G n R was a better than average band but Axel was a lunatic as well as Slash and those awful "Hair" bands were the epitome of imbeciles everywhere. And all these bands lasted all of what 3 albums each before their act stunk up the joint? it could be argued but I feel that one of the most talented groups of this present time is nickleback I believe that the singer (Chad Kroeger) will be someone big ala Rob Thomas. I do not however care for their latest single "Rockstar". Today I feel that the battlefield is equal in the Rock n Roll dept. England is producing more techno type acts which are extremely popular with the young crowd where as America is getting back to the 2 guitar, bass and drum combos that we all fell in love with way back when. My vote for all time not just now would be for the British Bands.
Every morning brings a new day
cleptosid

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:58 am

Brits Win! :cheers
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:04 pm

I'll second that! :salute Not that I'm biased in any way of course. :)
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dpantz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:15 pm

If America and England went to war over music instead of taxation...

...the English would win the war. Heavy hitters, you Brits. Although it is tougher for new British acts to break into the American music scene which is dominated by hip hop and r&b these days.

I love the English bands...very diverse, talented and distinct.

I am not much of a Springsteen fan, he doesn't make me love America any more or any less. I am from new Jersey and I don't know where Springsteen got his whiny mid-western hick accent, because no-one here in New Jersey talks or sings like that boy, who is a Bob Dylan rip-off.

Dylan is an institution here...forget Springsteen.

There are some great American bands but they all try to either sound like Nickelback who are terrible or what's that god awful pop/punk band...Blink 182! Horrible music dominating our music charts with occasional flourishes of great singer songwriters on local non-commercail FM radio!
And if I said I really knew you well what would your answer be?
dpantz

Postby Paperback Writer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:17 pm

Now, my point of reference is 1980 and earlier, LOVE the great Brit Bands, but not to be overlooked are the following great US bands - and it's very annoying to read more wrong information about the Beach Boys - -obviously, anyone who knows their catalogue, knows the surf, car and girl songs were their early songs and is missing out on great music made afterwards - and a lot of those surf, car and girl songs were metaphors, anyway.

Byrds
Buffalo Springfield
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Four Seasons
Doobie Brothers
Steely Dan
Steve Miller Band
Young Rascals
Temptations
Supremes
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
Four Tops
Cars
Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Mama's and Papa's
Grateful Dead
Allman Brothers
Eagles
Jefferson Airplane
Hall and Oates
Bob Seger and the Bullet band
Creedence Clearwater revival
Tommy James and the Shondells
Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers
Jan and Dean
Beach Boys

Other giants, like Dylan, John Mellancamp and James Brown were billed as solo, but led bands.

Groups that were both Brittish and American were the latter day Fleetwood Mac and Jimi Hendrix Experience
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby MikeMaccaFan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 pm

dpantz wrote:If America and England went to war over music instead of taxation...

...the English would win the war. Heavy hitters, you Brits. Although it is tougher for new British acts to break into the American music scene which is dominated by hip hop and r&b these days.

I love the English bands...very diverse, talented and distinct.

I am not much of a Springsteen fan, he doesn't make me love America any more or any less. I am from new Jersey and I don't know where Springsteen got his whiny mid-western hick accent, because no-one here in New Jersey talks or sings like that boy, who is a Bob Dylan rip-off.

Dylan is an institution here...forget Springsteen.

There are some great American bands but they all try to either sound like Nickelback who are terrible or what's that god awful pop/punk band...Blink 182! Horrible music dominating our music charts with occasional flourishes of great singer songwriters on local non-commercail FM radio!

I think Springsteen is probably the best artist to come out of the US. Dylan Ripoff? Nah, Bruce actually has a GOOD voice ;)

haha but seriously, I think he's wonderful but compared to all the greats that have come out of the UK... it's really no comparison! The UK wins.

Billy Joel is great too! Almost forgot about him :D
MikeMaccaFan

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists