Pink Floyd's 1968-1970 "avant-garde" period

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Pink Floyd's 1968-1970 "avant-garde" period

Postby DeRick » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:20 pm

I used to have a PF cassette called "Works" and there was a track which i consider quite avant-garde called "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave & Grooving with a Pict", i found that it was originaly from "Ummagumma". I also have "Atom Heart Mother" (in which i call "The Cow Album") it only has 5 tracks only 3 of them are "proper" songs ("Fat Old Sun" is my fav from the album.) the other 2 (the first & last) are very odd although most points are musical, the rest sounds like what John & Yoko might've done. Was PF kinda influenced by the avant-garde stuff?
DeRick

Re: Pink Floyd's 1968-1970 "avant-garde" period

Postby Harrythebannister » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:01 pm

I love "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals" especially through headphones, there just seems to be something different happening everytime you hear it. The Scottish rant at the end is great aswell. Best track on the Ummagumma LP for me is Dave Gilmours' "The Narrow Way". Also like "Fat Old Sun" and "Summer '68" from Atom Heart Mother.

To answer your question, I think alot of bands in the late sixties were influenced to a certain degree by avant-garde stuff. It was an innovative time when alot of experimentation was going on and The Floyd were amongst the best, I feel!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DeRick » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:42 pm

Roger Waters shoulve did some cartoon voices. With "Several Species..." and "The Trial" from "The Wall", he had some interesting charecters in his voice.
DeRick

Postby theDingle » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Atom Heart Mother is my favorite PF, I wish there were more of this kind of thing by them.

I read an interview of either Waters or Gilmour, but when asked what they thought about AHM today, they said that they "didn't think it was very good"...HUH? I was discumbooberated!! :shock: :?
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:28 am

I like Bike!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists