Tower Records Closing all 89 stores in USA

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Tower Records Closing all 89 stores in USA

Postby maccastheman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:40 pm

Just another sign of the times. Looks like the CD era is coming to a quick end. Granted, Tower Records charges about 15% to 20% more than Best Buy and every other discount chain, but it's still been such an institution for years and years. I still go to the one here in Dallas about once a month just to check things out. It has its own enviorment, its own feel, etc. Lots of great music magazines, great selection of CDs, etc. I like checking out the stores in other cities - like the one in New York that wasn't far from CBGBs, etc.

But everything can be found online now and I think that's a great thing. I just hope places continue to exist where music lovers can gather and hang out together. I'm not against better technology, I'm just somewhat sentimental about the end of an era. I sort of saw it coming. They just closed the Virgin Megastore here in Dallas as well. :(

I'm sure better things are on the horizon. Better durable formats, etc. I just hope everything isn't virtual in the future. It's nice to have actual human interaction every now and then.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EwaldK » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:04 am

I'd rather think the physical CD store is coming to an end than the CD itself.
As long as DRM is an issue with online buying the CD will live on for quite some time.
EwaldK

Postby EddieV » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:59 am

I´m sad to hear this, but I guess it is the way things are going.

I really don´t hope that the cd will leave completely
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:46 am

this is pretty sad news
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:30 pm

EwaldK wrote:I'd rather think the physical CD store is coming to an end than the CD itself.

I think that's sad within itself. I'm sure CDs are going tol be around for a few more years, they just aren't going to be the #1 format. Digital downloads are probably going to be the #1 format. If it weren't for MP3s, I think Tower Records would still be in business. I'm sure they see the writing on the wall.

But it is kind of sad to see the end of the record store era. I really think that is what is happening. If they come along with a better durable format that can't be downloaded then record stores may make a comeback. I just think it was nice to have a place where people could gather and buy music & magazines and feel at home. I like that a lot better than just pointing and clicking and waiting for days and days for a product to arrive in the mail. Granted with MP3s you can get them instantaniously, so that's one of the reasons they are taking over fast.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby larro9 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:40 pm

I was a ten year Tower San Francisco employee from 76-86 and still deal with them as one of their vendors at their corp office in sacramento

I was present for the news last thursday at the corp office and there are many many great Tower career employees who deserve better than this.

Tower was an icon but the business has changed. Ask yourself when the last time you, friends or family actually bought something there. The internet and big box retailers have changed the landscape of the music business with low prices and selections beyond what any physical retail store can carry.

It is a sign of the times and Tower had a great run for 45 years..things change but we don't have to be happy about it.

go out and support your local music/video store or you will be stuck going to retailers who really don't care about the music but care about market share...or continue to download and remember the way it used to be

honestly my daughter and most of their friends think it is foreign to buy music other than from the interent or I-Tunes
keep this site alive and listen to great tunes..help mike today and send a donation !!
larro9
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Thanks for your post larro9. I always thought Tower would be a cool place to work. You were certainly right to bring up the fate of the long-term employees at Tower Records. I still buy a couple of magazines there every month and a CD here and there that I've got to have right away. They just carry things you can never find in other stores. (Like the big box chains) I've probably bought about 5 or 6 from them so far this year. I'm really going to miss going there. :(

When I lived in a pretty small town that was nowhere near a Tower Records store I always wished I could go to one. That's where they always had the big record signings, etc. The artists supported it, the fans supported it, and it just seemed like a cool place.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm pretty strange for people my age in that i'd rather go to HMV and have a browse than download from iTunes.

What happpens if you download £50 worth of music and your harddrive crashes??? Lost forever.

But, if you see the amount of sales the high street music chains are doing, it's clear that they're in a lot of trouble.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:19 pm

larro9 wrote:...it is foreign to buy music other than from the interent or I-Tunes
Wow, even in this day and age it is still just as foreign for me to download music.

The whole process of taking a spin down the road to go hanging out in any music store to flip through the CD racks (or record racks back in the day) is one of my favorite pass times, even if I don't buy anything. :?
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby RickStark79 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:01 pm

I still prefer to buy CDs over downloading. It's sad that generations of people will never know the feeling of excitement of going to the store to buy their favorite artist's newest record, peeling the wrapping off and putting it in the player for the first time.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists