The Yardbirds - Birdland

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

The Yardbirds - Birdland

Postby theDingle » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:19 pm

Did anyone pick this one up from 2003? I just did and it's rockin' my frickin' world! So often reunion CDs don't meet expectations, but I love this one. The Train Kept A Rollin' sounds like it could have been written today. Crying Out For Love is a great newer tune that sounds like the 60s at the same time. There are other slick newer originals as well as enjoyable remakes.

Beck contributed on My Blind Life, and it would have been cool if Clapton & Page could have joined in somewhere, but dare I say that Birdland is so good that they weren't necessarily missed? I WILL!! :shock: :o

The Yardbirds were always such a cool band, being the greenhhouse for Zep, and Beck & Clapton's many incarnations. They had a modicum of commercial appeal, but were really in the same class as the Beatles, the Stones and the Kinks. Most everyone else in that early British Invasion wave were a bit too teenyboppish. Birdland is a heckuva sleeper in my book. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:06 pm

Wow, I didn't even know it existed. I'll have to check it out. 8)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:30 am

Mr. Dingle, thanks for the GREAT tip on this one! WoW! Just another example of why it's so hard catching up on all the music that came out in the 60's.. Gotta check it out. :D
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby theDingle » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 pm

This one deserved more promotion. Oddly enough, I only found out about it by surfing ebaY for promo CD singles back in '03. On a fluke I put in the word "Yardbirds" and discovered that there was a Birdland promo EP, which I ended up winning.

However, the fact that Birdland was then current but the promo was being sold on ebaY already meant that it wasn't getting airplay! I did subsequently see it in Borders though.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby jenfin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:23 pm

this sooooo reminds me of what Jame's has mentioned in the main discussion forum.... :)
jenfin

Return to Music - Other Artists