Has the best music been made?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccastheman » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:39 am

akweaver wrote:There are people who are born with an endless supply of new music welling up from within. Perhaps they are genius of sorts.

I agree with this for the most part as well. Macca is obviously somebody this gifted. I guess a lot of this depends on what you refer to as "new" and "original" music - is it a new style, a new combination of notes, a different set of lyrics, etc. When you add all of those elements together, the possibilites seem infinite. One little bit may have been used before by somebody else, but not the whole package.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:00 pm

Great thread.

Well, we have reached the point where not one big rock act that has released their debut since 2000 can really claim to have a "new", "original" sound. I think the last band to do this was Radiohead, to really have developed a unique sound.
Now we have, admittedly very good, bands that borrow heavily from their influences (Killers, Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Franz etc).

I think the problem is that bands are getting massively successful on their first album far too early, which barely happened back in the day, even in the 90s. Look at the three "best" acts of the 90s: REM, Nirvana and Radiohead - relatively unsuccessful debut albums. Are the Killers going to have a long career and change rock n roll? I doubt it. I don't see a band that will change the world any more. Even The White Stripes - not enough people buy their records. I would love a band to kick off another revolution, but I can't see it
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:54 pm

I'm not sure I'd say Radiohead is a unique sound James. What they do though, is very much like what the Beatles did....take ideas from other music, and actually make it better, and make it their own. No doubt about it though, these guys are brilliant.

The funny thing is though....someone, somewhere in another music blog, is saying the same thing about Nickelback. :shock: :? :lol:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:25 pm

Good point about Radiohead, 2 of 3. I wouldn't call them 100% original either, but they do take a lot of great elements from other groups. I hear more of the Pixies in Radiohead's music than anything. (Especially the earlier stuff - the guitar solos, some of the lyrics, etc) Thom would be the first to tell you how much of an influence they were, too.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:28 am

maccastheman wrote:Good point about Radiohead, 2 of 3. I wouldn't call them 100% original either, but they do take a lot of great elements from other groups. I hear more of the Pixies in Radiohead's music than anything. (Especially the earlier stuff - the guitar solos, some of the lyrics, etc) Thom would be the first to tell you how much of an influence they were, too.

Yeah, it's certainly true of that in the early days.

Another point is that Radiohead progressed from guitrs, bass and drums to something far more way-out with computers and synths and the kitchen sink. I think too many bands try to run before they can walk these days and don't leave themselves the scope to build a lomg career
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:23 am

The one thing I'd like to see Radiohead do, is write a hit or two. They've tried everything else, why not see if you can write a song that will actually get some radio exposure? I wouldn't see that as selling out, but as a new direction. Of course TY would have to get his head out of his bum first for that to happen. :wink:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:18 am

2 of 3 wrote:The one thing I'd like to see Radiohead do, is write a hit or two.

Karma Police, Paranoid Android were top 5 hits over here on release, and of course Creep in the states.

But I know what you mean, TY could write a great three-minute, REM-style pop song if he wanted to. Maybe he will now he has released a solo album.

But I'm not one of those Radiohead fans who wishes that they'd write an album like The Bends again. I ejoy Kid A more than The Bends. But I think a complete turn full-circle back to guitar-driven highly melodic pop music would be cool.
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to Music - Other Artists