New Jerry Lee Lewis CD - Last Man Standing

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

New Jerry Lee Lewis CD - Last Man Standing

Postby maccastheman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:05 pm

Star-Packed Jerry Lee Lewis CD Back On Track

August 04, 2006, 4:20 PM ET

Melinda Newman, L.A.
After five years and four different record labels, Jerry Lee Lewis' "Last Man Standing" will arrive Sept. 26 on Jeff Ayeroff's Artists First label. Alternative Distribution Alliance will distribute the title. The 21-track album pairs Lewis with such artists as Bruce Springsteen, John Fogerty, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, George Jones, Willie Nelson and Rod Stewart.

Produced by Steve Bing and Jimmy Rip for Bing's Shangri-La Entertainment, the album was born after Bing approached Lewis in 2001 to write songs for a movie, appropriately titled given Lewis' history, "Why Men Shouldn't Marry." The movie never was made, but Lewis cut two songs.

"Steve said, 'I don't care if we don't have a label. Here's the money, just make the record,'" Rip says. It didn't start as a duet project -- "Even Jerry said, 'I don't need all these people,'" Rip recalls. But as word of the album spread, and after Mick Jagger performed on one of the songs cut for the movie, Rip started asking more artists to participate, and then eager acts started coming to him.

The album was first slated for Lost Highway, then had a stop at another label before landing at Columbia, which sat on a release date so it could coincide with a planned TV special. But when the album's main supporters Steve Greenberg and Don Ienner left the label earlier this summer, it once again was homeless. That's where Artists First stepped in.

The creative and marketing company had already been consulting Columbia on the Lewis project, and once the album was again a free agent, Artists First stepped up. "You feel an obligation and romance in working with a project like this," Ayeroff says, comparing it to how he felt when he and former business partner Jordan Harris worked with Roy Orbison while running Virgin North America.

The project will be promoted through a December PBS "Great Performances" episode. Artists First is in talks with a number of retailers about special programs, although Ayeroff says, "This is a Wal-Mart record if you think about it, given his success on the country charts."
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:09 pm

I read somewhere that Ringo should be on it too??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:21 pm

I think I read that somewhere else as well. I really liked his last CD, Young Blood. I thought it was a great comeback effort. It was released in the mid-90s on Sire records.

I saw him in Branson, MO, sometime around then. He sounded good and his voice was still pretty strong, but sometimes it was painful watching him try to do crazy things while on the piano. (Like when he kicked the bench over behind him like he used to do in the old days - it looked like it was in slow motion)

He did that in the video for one of the songs from Young Blood. I think that was supposed to be his American Recordings-type of come back. Unfortunately it didn't work out the same way. (Although the album was pretty solid IMHO)

These all-star albums are usually a lot of hype without the substance, but sometimes you get good results. I never heard the one Carl Perkins released right around the time of his death. It had a similar all-star cast.

Maybe this one will be good. It has a great cast of stars. And it is appropriately titled. Sadly enough, he is the last major Sun rockabilly recording artist still left. (Out of Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Elvis, and Roy Orbison :cry: )

The irony is that he was supposedly the wildest living one.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:46 pm

There's another Beatle conncection on this CD - Jerry Lee Lewis duets with Little Ricahrd on a cover of "I Saw Her Standing There." That ought to be fun.

The guest artists are unbelievable:

1. Rock and Roll - Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Page
2. Before the Night Is Over - B.B. King, Jerry Lee Lewis
3. Pink Cadillac - Jerry Lee Lewis, Bruce Springsteen
4. Evening Gown - Mick Jagger, Jerry Lee Lewis, Ronnie Wood
5. You Don't Have to Go - Jerry Lee Lewis, Neil Young
6. Twilight - Jerry Lee Lewis, Robbie Robertson
7. Travelin' Band - John Fogerty, Jerry Lee Lewis
8. That Kind of Fool - Jerry Lee Lewis, Keith Richards
9. Sweet Little 16 - Jerry Lee Lewis, Ringo Starr
10. Just a Bummin' Around - Merle Haggard, Jerry Lee Lewis
11. Honky Tonk Woman - Kid Rock, Jerry Lee Lewis
12. What's Made Milwaukee Famous - Jerry Lee Lewis, Rod Stewart
13. Don't Be Ashamed of Your Age - George Jones, Jerry Lee Lewis
14. Couple More Years - Jerry Lee Lewis, Willie Nelson
15. Old Glory - Toby Keith, Jerry Lee Lewis
16. Trouble in Mind - Eric Clapton, Jerry Lee Lewis
17. I Saw Her Standing There - Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard
18. Lost Highway - Delaney Bramlett, Jerry Lee Lewis
19. Hadacohl Boogie - Buddy Guy, Jerry Lee Lewis
20. Irish Heart Beat - Don Henley, Jerry Lee Lewis
21. Pilgrim CH.33 - Kris Kristofferson, Jerry Lee Lewis
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:07 pm

Is this that "great balls of fire" guy?

If not, who is he? I'm not familiar with his work at all, and was not even aware he was still releasing records, or even if he was still alive.

Ya, they've done a brilliant job of promoting him over the years eh?

EDIT: Wow, i may have to buy this record. So, many great artists on one record contributing.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:27 pm

It sure is odd that someone as knowledgable and informed as Bland Byron wouldn't know about Jerry Lee Lewis! That's just crazy!! :roll:
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:48 pm

RickStark79 wrote:It sure is odd that someone as knowledgable and informed as Bland Byron wouldn't know about Jerry Lee Lewis! That's just crazy!! :roll:
I never said i was knowledgable...

It seems you're the only one that's been saying that.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Paperback Writer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:49 pm

Thanks, MTM, what a gift of music from 'The Killer' - also notice Ringo on Sweet 16!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:01 pm

This CD is great!!! I finally picked up my copy today. I've been listeneing to it all afternoon. It's one of the best "all star" recordings I've ever heard. In most cases these types of recordings never quite equal the sum of their parts, but this one is different. Everybody fits in and contributes great stuff. :)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists