The IPOD Thread!

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:38 pm

Interesting....after the first few months of having the new toy, buying all the extra gadgets and downloading all my tunes.....I never use the thing anymore. My cd player in the car plays Mp3 and WMA....so now I just burn cd's with 200 songs on them. I also find Itunes to be a bit of a pain, as it seems to take over my system. If I were to do it all over again, I would probably get the Creative Zen instead, and save a few hundred bucks.
My Ipod is pretty much full though....mostly bootlegs. :)
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:03 am

Highamster wrote:
kylestyle wrote:Woohooooo! I saw Rasputina! I SAW RASPUTINA!! :D :D

Yes, I think I recall talking to you about them a while ago. You're the fellow who used to play Chello in a guitaresque manner, yes?

Borrowed a cello to learn Rasputina songs, and ended up playing rock stuff on it. There is a reason I have no Rasputina on my Ipod at the moment. Recently re-ripped all my Rasputina cds with a nicer bitrate and better sound quality, all my original rips were done with Audiograbber and the Xing encoder, a very old program that gave mp3s a 'watery' kind of sound. Now I'm really happy, my Rasputina mp3s are close to cd quality now. Will probably put The Olde Headboard and The New Zero on there, maybe a few others at some point. :)
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby kylestyle » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:06 am

EddieV wrote:How much does an IPOD cost?? Haven´t got one, but from what I see you canhave nearly your whole collection on these things.

Well there's nothing to stop you putting whatever you want on them. The costs can vary, the basic models are cheap, the ones that hold 10000 songs or more on them (like Rickstark's) are quite expensive.
kylestyle

Postby Lazarus_2 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:04 am

kylestyle wrote:
EddieV wrote:How much does an IPOD cost?? Haven´t got one, but from what I see you canhave nearly your whole collection on these things.

Well there's nothing to stop you putting whatever you want on them. The costs can vary, the basic models are cheap, the ones that hold 10000 songs or more on them (like Rickstark's) are quite expensive.
I wouldn't buy an IPOD for an MP3 player, it's too limiting. Any system that puts a cap on the amount of songs you can have is not worth buying.

I don't wanna walk around listening to music, sounds dangerous. Walking around the City with earphones on listening to music, you're just asking to be run down by Cars/Buses/Trucks and stuff. Very dangerous indeed.

It's dangerous enough riding a bike around the City, or walking across streets, now the IPOD/mp3 players are actually encouraging taking away the audio-cues of life that keep you safe.

This is bad news indeed.

Listen to music on your PC, home sound system, in the car, or whereever that it's not going to put your life at risk.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby kylestyle » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:09 am

Many of us use them at work, and I find it actually heightens your awareness of the visual things, because your aural senses are somewhat compromised. It actually helps you to concentrate better and focus more. Nothing gets me in a working groove more than Slipknot going hard! I guess it's a bit like the blind man who develops a keener sense of his environment. We had a deaf guy in our room who recently retired, and he could see things going on that everyone else ignored. Being deaf was no handicap to him at all.

But whatever you do, it always pays to be sensible. I always try to have my volume at a sensible level depending on the circumstances. If I'm on a bus trip, I'll go hard-out. If I'm walking down the street, I'll have my volume control on standby. It's no different to the walkman days really. It's all a matter of exercising sensible behaviours.
kylestyle

Postby james1985 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:00 pm

The amount of times a friend had shouted at me in the street and I just havn't heard them...

But a walk through town with your iPod on can be very good, can help you think, clear your head. And it makes whatever you're doing far less boring!

Laz, if you look bothways, then you won't get runover :wink:

The car is probably more fun for music because you can sing your heart out!
So embarassing when someone sees you at the lights singing away, pretending to be a Beatle :oops:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:41 pm

Oh dear :? ..I have to agree with Laz here. I see people who can't go 2 minutes of their lives without that pod sutured to their hand and the ear buds crazy glued in. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I like to hear the sounds of nature, and maybe even say hello to passer's by. It reminds me of these idjits who walk around with a Blue tooth clipped to their ear....can't go 2 minutes without talking to someone on the cell phone. Besides....everyone is going to be deaf by the age of 30. :shock:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:04 pm

This High-Tech society has us far more isolated then so many previous generations. Even walking around town, people isolating themselves from Human Contact through music in the ears. And look at us, having Text-Based discussions in our Chairs in our Homes or wherever.

What else is there to say.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Highamster » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Lazarus_2 wrote:I wouldn't buy an IPOD for an MP3 player, it's too limiting. Any system that puts a cap on the amount of songs you can have is not worth buying.

One of the reasons I decided not to buy an iPod was because it has some form of DRM controll on it. Do they actually cap the amount of songs you can put on even if you've not filled the limit?

Either way doesn't bother me, if in the slim chance I end up with one I'ld just dump some form of Linux on it.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby kylestyle » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:49 am

The DRM is only for their crappy AAC format if you happen to buy their songs from the Itunes online store. I'm sure most of us either rip our own cds (drm-free of course) or download from p2p, so whatever ends up on our Ipods have no drm at all. I loathe drm. I hate the idea of not having the freedom to copy and take our music with us wherever we like. That's why mp3 will always be my preference. The Ipod itself doesn't have any drm restrictions. It's up to the music format you choose to put on there (I can't stand aac and equally wma, heard a lot of horror stories with people not being able to copy across their own wma files onto their own computers, myself included).
kylestyle

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists