Top 50 Albums that changed music

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Top 50 Albums that changed music

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:47 pm

Ok, another list that means nothing, because it's just a bunch of people stating their opinions(kind of like I just did :wink: )...but, here it is.

And guess who isn't number one. :roll:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/s ... 30,00.html
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:16 am

Spice Girls at #21! Awesome!! lol
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:16 am

They made a factual error in their analysis, regarding Kate Bush 'Hounds Of Love'. They said without this album, there would be no Tori Amos. Tori herself in one interview said that she honestly had not listened to any Kate Bush records, and only started buying them after someone remarked to her how similar her voice was. Mind you, Tori at the time (mid-80s), was fronting a hard rock band and it's only her later work that began to show shades of Kate. Perhaps that influence began to show later on? I'm sure she hates to be compared to Kate anyway.

I'm pleased to see the 'banana' album at number one - a fantastic album. Run Run Run would be my fave song on VU&N. I've been listening to a lot of Nico lately, her albums Chelsea Girl and The Marble Complex - which is an amazing album - one of the strangest albums I've ever heard.. it's like Bjork 25 years before her time - for 1969 it must be the first true goth album ever. It's sad how Nico died. She was riding a bike with her son and got knocked off, dying of head injuries. A bit like Kirsty MacColl.. equally as tragic.. :cry:
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:34 pm

i was surprised at how...okay i was with this list, until (as sir rickstark so eloquently pointed out) i came to number twenty-one...spice girls? holy jeepers batman...unless you're talking about oregano, basil, salt and pepper...this collection of...hmmm...sorry, i can't even bullcrap my way through a compliment for number twenty-one.

thanks for the list though, 2/3
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:02 pm

What is interesting about the list, is how each album is "suggested" as the influence to waves of musical interest. Sure they listed the Spice Girls.....they even said they they were rubbish. But they did start something for few years, so that is why they made the list. I think the "if it wasn't for, there wouldn't be" tag at the end of each selection is a bunch of crap. I mean every artist had their favourites that they emulated. How far back do you want to go? If it wasn't for that first person who hummed a tune while skinning a mastodon, there'd be no music? Please. :roll: :wink:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:43 pm

i love mastadon...kabobs
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:13 pm

...with some fava beans and a nice chianti. :P
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby BruceMirken » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:07 pm

Given the inherent arbitrariness of picking 50, this was actually quite a reasonable list. As for the Spice Girls -- remember, the criterion for inclusion was "albums that changed music" not GOOD albums. Crap certainly can and does influence the culture in huge ways. The older I get, the more shocked (and grateful) I am that "Pepper" was such huge commercial success.
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:26 pm

Good God I hate polls!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:53 am

Genuine_Indian_Guru wrote:Good God I hate polls!

Exactly my words
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists