Billy Joel

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Billy Joel

Postby UsagiAndMamoru » Mon May 22, 2006 11:03 pm

The man's a legend, and my favorite song of his is still "We Didn't Start The Fire", but I also like the songs:

Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
Zanzibar
You May Be Right
Pressure
Tell Her About It
You're Only Human (Second Wind)
I Go To Extremes
And So It Goes
The River Of Dreams
UsagiAndMamoru

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon May 22, 2006 11:06 pm

Yeah not enough good can be said about Joels' music.
He's great!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Mon May 22, 2006 11:38 pm

I wish he'd break through his block and bestow us more fine tunes!

I wasn't a fan until The Stranger album of '77, still not too keen on earlier stuff before then. But every album since then has been a must-have for me....well, except for that classical piano release, and I do like classical piano, but I listened to that one and it didn't quite truck with me. :?

C'mon Billy-o Joe, lay it on us, we know you can do 'er! :o
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby maccastheman » Mon May 22, 2006 11:41 pm

I think he's great - and like kylestyle says he's one of Macca's biggest disciples.

One other great thing about him - he's a natural performer. He's one of the most professional showmen I've ever seen.

I saw him on one of those tours he did with Elton John. They were both great, but Billy Joel really knows how to work a crowd and what to say to a crowd. Elton is unique in his own flamboyant way, but Billy Joel really seemed like natural - much like Macca on stage.

As for the songs, my personal favorites are "Say Goodbye to Hollywood," "Only the Good Die Young," "Pressure," "Scenes from an Italian Resturaunt," "Allentown," "River of Dreams," and so many more...
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Tue May 23, 2006 12:41 am

not a whole lot to add, everybody has hit the proverbial nail pretty squarely : i, too, started with 'the stranger' and have enjoyed each sucsesive album...like macca, it's the songs off the albums, as much as the hits, that constantly amaze me.
among some favorites; 'vienna', 'everybody has a dream', 'honesty', 'pressure', 'goodnight saigon', 'and so it goes', 'hey girl', ...i could go on...
i mentioned, elsewhere, in another discussion, that while in a book store, a few years back, there was this book (!) in the entertaimnet area that had this guys ideas/list of the worst rock and roll songs ever...and a very special mention was given to our boy paulie...yet, the author singled out billy as the single worst creator of bad rock and roll ever...gave him an entire chapter, if i remember right...

i did not buy the book...what a load of hooey
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby UsagiAndMamoru » Tue May 23, 2006 1:13 am

I just finished a Billy Joel marathon about a half an hour ago (I think that's when it ended)
UsagiAndMamoru

Postby maccastheman » Tue May 23, 2006 1:21 am

I saw "To Make You Feel My Love" on your playlist. It's kind of strange/intersting/disturbing that Garth Brooks has copied so many of Billy Joel's songs and cover choices - He used to do "You May Be Right" in concert a lot, he coverd Joel's "Shameless" (and had a huge hit), and then covered Bob Dylan's "To Make You Feel My Love" after Joel had already covered it.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Tue May 23, 2006 6:01 am

Didn´t he do Back In The Ussr??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Tue May 23, 2006 7:25 am

Didn´t he do Back In The Ussr??

Yesss!

Wahooo, finally a Billy Joel thread to grace these hallowed halls. My favourite tracks would be the hit ballads such as Honesty, Just the Way You Are, She's Got a Way etc, but my favourite Billy Joel album of all time is an obscure heavy metal album he brought out in 1970 called Atilla. Somehow, he makes this organ sound like Deep Purple, like a wailing screaming guitar. The album is like Soundgarden 20 years ahead of its time - and the songs are of a high standard too, as we would expect from Billy Joel. Wonder Woman is an awesome song, as is Tear This Castle Down.

Going back before Atilla, Billy was in a band called The Hassles, and you should check out this song called Hour of the Wolf. An ambitious track.. goes for 12 minutes!

Another era I love from BJ's career is the Nylon Curtain era - around the same time Paul brought out Tug of War. Allentown was the big single from that. And before that, you have the Glass Houses rock style - You May Be Right, It's Still Rock and Roll To Me, All For Leyna, Don't Ask Me Why. All of it is pure gold.

Songs in the Attic would still be one of my favourite live albums of all time, probably second only to Wings Over America. The live version of Say Goodbye to Hollywood and Streetlife Serenader... send chills up my spine.

Seems he's living a quieter life these days, but that's ok, he's left a legacy of memories for me. I know he's not exactly the coolest guy in music to like, but I don't care. He may be uncool but he's one of the most gifted pop songwriters ever. I remember reading an interview once where he said he was inspired to write songs because he heard something on the radio and he believed HE could improve that song and write something better. He felt compelled after that. He also considered it a good way to get chicks, heh! And I think he was also a boxer?
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby RickStark79 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:28 am

He's truly amazing! Second only to Paul in my eyes! Glass Houses and The Nylon Curtain are my favorite albums! So many great songs! Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, All For Leyna, Miami 2017, Stiletto, Code Of Silence, Goodnight Saigon, Sometimes A Fantasy, She's Right On Time, etc. I could go on for days!!
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists