REM To Get Back In The Studio This Year

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

REM To Get Back In The Studio This Year

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Thu May 04, 2006 2:42 pm

http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcomin ... _year.html

I know many of you dig REM so I thought this would be some good news for those who may not of knew this info already!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 pm

I wish Bill Berry would join them again. They haven't sounded the same since then. I like some of their work since he left, but it would be cool to see what they would sound like with him in the band today.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:16 pm

Around The Sun was ok, not great. But a new REM album is always something to get excited about
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu May 04, 2006 11:03 pm

I really liked the song In The Sun that was on a benefit CD from this year.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Fri May 05, 2006 2:13 am

i know it's just me, but the berry-less discs are just no where near as interesting as the berry-ful ones...maybe it's just the direction they are going in, but i supremely enjoyed every album... just not the last three. i've listened to them quite a bit, yet i cannot remember even one song....off any of them...i'm looking at the set lists right now, and none of the, ring any kind of bell

i'll get exicited only if i hear bill is back (just an omen...a portend, if you will: though, i don't think there is a chance) or, if there is some sort of stipe &/or buck interview where they go off on how they feel a new direction is needed.

though..i am a sucker for the guys and will probably buy it , anyway.
thanks for the info
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:50 am

Looks like the original four are getting back together for a performace at their induction into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. They get together from time to time in Athens already. It would be great if they could get together for some new recordings.

Their IRS anthology is being released soon, too. (With a bonus CD of rarities and a bonus DVD) It's like High School all over for me. :wink:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:01 am

ANGRY wrote:i know it's just me, but the berry-less discs are just no where near as interesting as the berry-ful ones...maybe it's just the direction they are going in

I think I've said this somewhere before, but New Adventures is still my favorite album by them. That was, of course, the last album they recorded with Bill Berry. I really liked Up as well. Very interesting ambient direction IMHO. I still think it holds up pretty well, but it's nowhere near as good as New Adventures. Since then they seem to have been on a steady decline. Reveal had a couple of great songs - "Imitation of Life" & "All the Way to Reno." Around the Sun didn't do much for me at all. I think they need something to stimulate them again, and maybe bringing Berry back into the fold would help. (If he's willing to do it)

Right now I'm on an '80s R.E.M. kick. Murmer, Life's Rich Pageant, etc. "Fall on Me" is such a beautiful song.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:10 am

I used to like REM but I think they donĀ“t renew themselves.

Monster is a great album, but itis to much the same. Okay they write some great melodies.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists