The End Of Gorillaz Is Near?

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

The End Of Gorillaz Is Near?

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:36 pm

After the recent stands at Harlem's Apollo Theater that featured a backing orchestra, tons of bells and whistles, Gorillaz mastermind Damon Albarn reveales that the animated group may retire.

"We're putting Gorillaz back on the shelf after these last few gigs and working on other things for a while," Albarn said. "It's been brilliant, and this time it's been a runaway success, so why not just leave it like that? So we're retiring. We've been taking notes and we're going to do it hip-hop style, like Jay-Z."

However, buoyed by the success of the Apollo shows, Albarn admitted he was looking to give the Gorillaz a proper send-off with a glamorous run of shows in Las Vegas. "There's a possibility of doing these shows one more time, in Las Vegas. But we're not sure when. I love the idea of Gorillaz — on their third-ever [set of gigs] — playing Vegas," Albarn laughed. "And, of course, it'll be big and all bells and whistles. And then that's it."

Albarn said the Vegas shows would be staged in lieu of the Gorillaz's oft-rumored world tour, which he said has been put on the back burner. He also pooh-poohed a string of reports in the British tabloids that quoted a source within the band saying Gorillaz would break up at Christmas. "That was one of our drunk friends ranting down in the pub. It's stupid," Albarn sighed. "The great thing about Gorillaz is that when we're not working with them, they're relatively low-maintenance."

Also on the docket for Gorillaz before they call it quits are a video game ("It's in the early stages, but it will cost 8 million pounds to make," Albarn said) and a movie, which Albarn and Gorillaz co-creator Jamie Hewlett plan on financing themselves. The dynamic duo are also hard at work on a Chinese opera called "Monkey: Journey to the West," which they hope to have completed by the end of the year.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Good riddance. They were rubbish anyway. Damon can get back to making decent music again, hopefully regroup Blur.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Highamster » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:58 am

Blur are writing new songs. They have been since before Christmas.

I never saw Gorrillaz as a full time band anyway, just more of an experiment or side project for the members. Good stuff though when I'm in the mood.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to Music - Other Artists