Old-timey, Mountain & Bluegrass Music

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby theDingle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 pm

maccastheman wrote:That would be the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville - the former home of the Grand Ole Opry. I was fortunate enough to see a tribute concert for Johnny Cash there...
Cool mtm---you are also starting to remind me of that Johnny Cash song, I've Been Everywhere, LOL :lol: . WAD, fortunate you are. I have been there too but not for any performances. I did get to Ernest Tubb's Record Shop down the street to pick up some vinyl once though!

Ricky Skaggs hosted Live @ The Ryman on TNN back in the 90s for a few years, that was always good to catch on TV. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:39 pm

Highamster wrote:I've saw Perpetual Motion in a music shop once for about £30 (wtf?) so obviousally didn't buy it. I need to track down an alternative method to get it soon. I need more Banjo in my live.
:o 30 pounds!? Ouch~! Better check out ebaY UK, lol. :wink:

Bela has such a touch and such technique, the dude really communicates a lot of emotion. I'll have to say though, that even though he can play any number of styles and genres, when it comes to Bluegrass per se, I think John Mills of Ricky Skaggs' KY Thunder is pretty much his equal.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:57 pm

....and WE ALL need more banjo in our life, whether we're aware of it or not, lol.

One of the all-time best bluegrass acts that never really got their due was Hot Rize, IMO. I got to see them perform just before they broke up in '89, though they did a short reunion gig in the mid-90s.

Halfway through their show they would normally (or abnormally, lol) transform into a comedic Texas-swing band called Red Knuckles and The Trailblazers. They were so funny but so good at both styles.

The mandolin/fiddle player and vocalist, Tim O'Brien, is still around, he just won a Grammy for his last CD (which I haven't heard yet, but I've got a few by him). 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Paperback Writer » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:48 am

Dingle is indeed a musical scholar!

Peter Rowan of the Rowan Brothers was also in Seatrain - what a (George Martin) debut album!!!!!

My bad it was the SCOTTSVILLE Squirrel Barkers, early 60's country band in SoCal, featuring future Byrd, Burritto, Stills' Manassas, Desert Rose Band man, Chris Hillman, on mandolin, Kenny Werz(Country Gazzette) and Bernie Leadon (Eagles, Burritos) on banjo's.

Nitty Gritty's classic "Circle" is epic and the albums they released before and right after it are beautiful

Emmylou is a livin' angel!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby theDingle » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:27 pm

Paperback Writer wrote:Dingle is indeed a musical scholar!
:oops: Ah, erm, uhm, not sure 'bout that.... :?

I would say that just having grown up in a country music environment, and being interested in it, one simply absorbs the facts, y'know. Thanks for the unqualified comp, lol. As I've stated somewhere before, my Pop comandeered the TV on Saturday nights (pre-Hee Haw), so the fare was Porter & Dolly, Flatt & Scruggs, and the Wilburn Bros. w/Loretta Lynn to name a few.

So THAT'S who the SS Barkers are! A bit of impressive trivia that yourself there!

I do believe I've heard of the Rowans, but never quite made the Seatrain connection.

As for Emmylou,--HUMMINAHUMMINA! She gets better lookin' with age it seems, lol.

Hey, I was looking over my NGDB liner notes from their Will The Circle Be Unbroken? CD, and guess who joined in on the chorus of the title cut? None other than that evil fiend, Chet Flippo. Yes, the former Rollingstone mag writer who also authored that stupid Macca-bashing bio, Yesterday, back in the 80s. I think he must be from Tennessee 'cause I think he's still working there. The bonehead! :evil:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:14 pm

And now, another episode in the continuing saga of that divine musical movement that just won't go away, BLUEGRASS! Some thundering applause, please!!, lol :P

Saw Ralph Stanley and The Clinch Mountain Boys in concert the other night. Found out that his guitar player is from Hawkins County in Tennessee like me, not far from where I grew up, aye, a small world. :shock:

Their opening act was a new-grassy type group called King Wilkie. They started off with a great version of I Never Will Marry, an old Carter family standard. They also had some really decent original tunes.

Seeing Ralph's act today is not going to be like the old days. He's 80 years old, he had a triple by-pass last summer and arthritis has severely limited his incredible banjo shreddin', so things have slowed him down a little. BUT he still has that amazing voice, vocally he's the Paul McCartney of bluegrass for me. He did play a little simple claw-hammer style banjo occasionally, but still he has a great banjo player in the band who fills the bill just fine.

He opened with Room At The Top Of The Stairs, an excellent Stanley tune that would make a bluegrass-head out of anybody. The harmonies on A Robin Built A Nest On Daddy's Grave were a knock-out (that kind of title so typical of bluegrass, corny but killer, lol). Ralph also performed his Grammy-winning O Death accapella (from the O Brother Where Art Thou? movie), really moving if not morbid, lol. Folks, the whole night was a walk back into Appalachia.

Both bands hung out in the lobby for CD/T-shirt sales and autographs--Ralph stayed until everybody got an autograph that wanted one, what class. It was all a complete and memorable sell-out performance. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Re: Old-timey, Mountain & Bluegrass Music

Postby theDingle » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:07 pm

I spent this last New Year's weekend (Saturday night, Jan 29) at The Carter Fold, what a unique experience. It's smack in the middle of nowhere, SW Virginia. This is where the Carter family originally lived and did simple back porch performances while listeners sat along the backyard bank. In the early 70s Johnny Cash and others got financially behind the idea to build a small but first class performance venue there to perpetuate the Carter musical heritage.

It really is the best. Only acoustic music is allowed, and it's only $5 to get in. A number of people show up a couple of hours early to get a good seat. I was 30 minutes early and it was half full already---by showtime it was standing room only. Every Saturday night for the last 30+ years there's been a show and it's nearly always well attended, with usually visitors from way far away.

There's also a museum that included some Johnny Cash & June Carter mementos. I'll be visiting this place again for sure.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby mrsm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:33 pm

never thought i'd see a thread on bluegrass here :)
i grew up listening to flatt and scruggs, bill monroe, ralph stanley, earnest tubb, carter family, you name it i heard it. i swore as a teenager i never wanted to hear another bluegrass song again! somewhere along the line i got back to it and i love it!

by the way keith whitley started playing with ralph stanley and bill monroe when he was 15 yrs old. he was such a fantastic musician, i miss his music. loved My Amy- Miami. just too name one. enuff said :salute
i light a candle to our love, in love all problems disappear.
mrsm

Postby theDingle » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:13 pm

mrsm wrote:by the way keith whitley started playing with ralph stanley and bill monroe when he was 15 yrs old...
Oh yeah, he and Ricky Skaggs were buddys, I think they were together in those bands. I met Ricky Skaggs a couple of years ago--met his bass player too, Mark Fain, who I learned was from my hometown--Mark's Uncle sold my Dad a couple of Danelectro Shorthorns back in the 60s for us to learn to play on, shhmall woild!

If possible I might take in a day of the Gettysburg Bluegrass Festival this Spring--I want to check out a new act, Dailey & Vincent, they're supposed to be bangtackular!
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby mrsm » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:36 am

i'm sure they will be!! i've been asked to head to Texas hill country this spring to visit family, Gettysburg event sounds more fun! and that is held where??? :bounce
i light a candle to our love, in love all problems disappear.
mrsm

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists