Old-timey, Mountain & Bluegrass Music

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: Old-timey, Mountain & Bluegrass Music

Postby theDingle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:17 pm

maccastheman wrote:...a knock-out movie. Reese Witherspoon was unbelievable. We've been spoiled by two recent incredible biopics lately. (Ray being the other)
Yeah, Reese impressed me too mtm--and I was thinking the same thing, Ray and Walk The Line were equally well done. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby esto » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:00 pm

I heard something about Marvin Gaye movie, about his last sad days.
There is no music to die for, there is only music to live for!
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:05 pm

esto wrote:I heard something about Marvin Gaye movie, about his last sad days.

I think I read about that somewhere as well. As much as I love films like that, I'm afraid it's becoming too trendy. Both Ray and Walk the Line were very well done and both Oscar Worthy IMHO. I just hope Hollywood doesn't over-do it. (Yeah, right - like that's stopped them before)

That being said, I think the following films are in the works right now:

Two (2) Janis Joplin biopics - one starring Pink and the other starring Rene Zellwiger

The Marvin Gaye one you mentioned

An Ian Curtis film. (Lead singer of Joy Division) There sort of already was one a couple of years ago called 24 Hour Party People - which was a great film by the way. Jude Law was rumored to play Curtis, but I think they picked a relatively unknown actor instead.

That incredibly stupid film about the prick that shot John Lennon. (I know his name but I'm not typing it)

Iggy Pop - Starring Elijah Wood

Also, I've read in various places the folling scripts have already been written and are being considered:

Otis Redding
Brian Wilson
Phil Spector

I'll probably watch every one of them (except one :roll: ), but I hope they can keep the same quality as the aforemetioned films.

I never saw the Bobby Darin movie Beyond the Sea, but I heard it was pretty good.
Last edited by maccastheman on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Highamster » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:25 pm

The only 'bluegrass' band I like is Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I wish they'ld come to the UK. That'ld just be great.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:59 pm

Highamster wrote:The only 'bluegrass' band I like is Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I wish they'ld come to the UK. That'ld just be great.
WAD hamberz, I've listened to a few Flecktone things--they're interesting, more jazzy than bluegrassy. It seems that artists who conquer in their field need room to stretch into other styles and try uncharted paths.

Bela did a classical banjo CD called Perpetual Motion a few years back and won a grammy for it. For me he's at his best doin' bluegrass though. His Bluegrass Sessions CD from the late 90s was supremo. His early work as a member of New Grass Revival still holds up too, that group had talent to burn. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Paperback Writer » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:59 am

Dingle, good call on the bluegrass music, I like Jerry Garcia's work on the banjo with various artists, including The Rowans, "Old and In the Way " and David Grusin. I Like the Dillards, Squirrel Barkers and the band Emmylou Harris recorded with for "Live at the Rynem (sp?) The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band had some nice recordings, also.
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:11 am

Paperback Writer wrote: the band Emmylou Harris recorded with for "Live at the Rynem (sp?)

That would be the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville - the former home of the Grand Ole Opry. I was fortunate enough to see a tribute concert for Johnny Cash there. Rosanne Cash, Kris Kristofersson, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Jr., Sheryl Crow, John Mellencamp, George Jones, and many others were there.

It's such an amazing venue - it was orginally a church, and the seats in the auditorium are still the original church pews. In fact, you sort of feel like you at church at the Ryman. A great music church. 8)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:25 am

Maccastheman; Thanks for the correct spelling, wOw oh WoW, what an epic show you experienced there! Overwhelming talent and musicanship, which leads me to start a new thread on "greatest multi-band concerts or festivals. Your concert certainly belongs there!
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Highamster » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:24 am

theDingle wrote:
Highamster wrote:The only 'bluegrass' band I like is Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I wish they'ld come to the UK. That'ld just be great.
WAD hamberz, I've listened to a few Flecktone things--they're interesting, more jazzy than bluegrassy. It seems that artists who conquer in their field need room to stretch into other styles and try uncharted paths.

Bela did a classical banjo CD called Perpetual Motion a few years back and won a grammy for it. For me he's at his best doin' bluegrass though. His Bluegrass Sessions CD from the late 90s was supremo. His early work as a member of New Grass Revival still holds up too, that group had talent to burn. 8)

I'ld agree their, It's a nice sound of Bluegrass Jazz fusion or whatever. I've saw Perpetual Motion in a music shop once for about £30 (wtf?) so obviousally didn't buy it. I need to track down an alternative method to get it soon. I need more Banjo in my live.
Highamster
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby theDingle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Paperback Writer wrote:Dingle, good call on the bluegrass music, I like Jerry Garcia's work on the banjo with various artists, including The Rowans, "Old and In the Way " and David Grusin. I Like the Dillards, Squirrel Barkers and the band Emmylou Harris recorded with for "Live at the Rynem (sp?) The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band had some nice recordings, also.
PW, you got me on the Squirrel Barkers, haven't got to them yet--and I've heard of the Garcia/Grusin collabs, gonna have to get onto those.

The best re-runs of the old Andy Griffith Show were the ones with the Dillards, lol. A friend gave me a vinyl-to-CD transfer of one of their early live albums from the mid-60s, really great. I have a late 60s album, Wheatstraw Suite, where they do a cover of I've Just Seen A Face, pretty hip idea back in the day.

WAD, Emmylou & the Nash Ramblers Live is a winner. Her mandolin player was Sam Bush, ex-New Grass Revival-er,---he can flat out pick it and is an excellent vocalist too. Their drummer was Larry Atamanuik, who was also drummer for Seatrain, a George Martin-produced band in the early 70s that was very progressive country (see Beatle-related forum). Not to mention Emmylou herself, wotta voice!

As for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, holy cow!--For anyone that is inclined towards Bluegrass at all, their Will The Circle Be Unbroken? (Vol. 1, '72) is indispensable, it's virtually Bluegrass 101. Classic and timeless, always fresh and refreshes, 'nuff said. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists