Old-timey, Mountain & Bluegrass Music

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Old-timey, Mountain & Bluegrass Music

Postby theDingle » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:48 pm

This stuff is in my blood. I grew up not far from Bristol TN/VA, where country music was born with the recordings of the Carter Family and Jimmy Rodgers in the late 20s. Bluegrass, as Bill Monroe coined and popularized it, didn't come along until a little later, but there were little ol' rinky-tink hillbilly bands that were doing seminal-type bluegrass prior.

The Carters were more "Mountain/Appalachain", Rodgers being more "Old-timey". Hank Williams I think advanced and modernized their stuff into the industry as we know it today.

As for Bluegrass, leave us not forget, Paul is a Bill Monroe fan, having also recorded Blue Moon of Kentucky on his Unplugged CD. I recently saw Ricky Skaggs and KY Thunder live, lordy-pete, what musicianship! I got to meet the band and get autographs afterwards, it was cool.

Of course Bluegrass got a boost from the delightful O Brother Where Art Thou? movie, but that wasn't strictly a Bluegrass-type soundtrack, a lot of old-timey-mountain stuff there too. But Man Of Constant Sorrow was a great Stanley Brothers bluegrass tune. Love those Stanley Brothers, they are as whiney and hardcore as bluegrass gets!

I revisited this hyere fixation thanks to that there Walk The Line movie about June Carter and Johnny Cash. What a great flick!
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:59 pm

Hey Dingle

Check out a few songs from Sarah Harmers new cd.

http://www.sarahharmer.com/index2.html
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby esto » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Alison Krauss is probably one of bluegrass top names of today. Must say i like very much not so sugar-coated country music.
BTW just got home from cinema from Walk the Line movie, warmly recommend.
There is no music to die for, there is only music to live for!
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Speaking of the Carter family (incredible), I love this passage from Johnny Cash's autobiography simply titled Cash:

"June also found a whole new world of appreciation among the young people. They loved the Carter Family classics, and they loved her. One night in England shortly after the release of American Recordings, as the new excitement was just beginning, she was coming off stage when a nineteen-year-old tattered black, with tattoos and body piercings and spiky hair and the whole bit, tapped her gently on the arm and said, "Mrs. Cash, you really kick ass!"

"I like to remind her of that when she's feeling down or discouraged. 'Mrs Cash, don't worry about it,'I'll say. 'You kick ass.'"

I laugh every time I think about that passage. :lol:
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Old-timey, Mountain & Bluegrass Music

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:55 pm

theDingle wrote:This stuff is in my blood. I grew up not far from Bristol TN/VA, where country music was born with the recordings of ... Jimmy Rodgers

I really like the tribute album they did for him simply called The Songs of Jimmie Rodgers. I think Bob Dylan executie-produced the album. Willie Nelson does a great version of "Peach Pickin' Time in Georgia." Van Morrison, Dwight Yoakam, Alison Krauss, and Bono are also on there. I remember watching Beck perform "Peach Pickin' Time in Georgia" with Willie Nelson on the David Letterman show when the album came out. It was really good.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:59 pm

theDingle wrote:
I revisited this here fixation thanks to that there Walk The Line movie about June Carter and Johnny Cash. What a great flick!

That was suck a knock-out movie. Reese Witherspoon was unbelievable. We've been spoiled by two recent incredible biopics lately. (Ray being the other) I know there are many more on the way (biopics), but I doubt they can keep the same quality going.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:50 pm

2 of 3 wrote:Hey Dingle

Check out a few songs from Sarah Harmers new cd.
I dood!--she must write her own stuff, but still a bit of Carter Family influence there. Somewhere I've heard of Escarpment Blues before. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:55 pm

maccastheman wrote:Speaking of the Carter family (incredible), I love this passage from Johnny Cash's autobiography...."Mrs. Cash, you really kick ass!" I laugh every time I think about that passage. :lol:
I remember that too, funny, and great book!

I like American Recordings too, 'specially the song Redemption, a classic Cash original.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:10 pm

maccastheman wrote:I really like the tribute album they did for him simply called The Songs of Jimmie Rodgers. I think Bob Dylan executie-produced the album. Willie Nelson does a great version of "Peach Pickin' Time in Georgia." Van Morrison, Dwight Yoakam, Alison Krauss, and Bono are also on there. I remember watching Beck perform "Peach Pickin' Time in Georgia" with Willie Nelson on the David Letterman show when the album came out. It was really good.
I haven't latched onto that CD yet, but I will, sounds like a goody.

The Cash's bought their son John the 12 disc anthology of the Carter Family on the UK Bear label at one point when he was younger. He was so taken with it that just this past year he produced a Carter Family tribute album called The Unbroken Circle, and it is astounding. Both Johnny and June are on it but it's all great.

I think my first intro to the Carter-type mountain music was Doc Watson's 2nd album called Southbound. I heard it as a teenager around '69 or so---it's one of my desert island discs--his pickin' is breathtaking, and that baritone voice of his is totally mellow. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:14 pm

esto wrote:Alison Krauss is probably one of bluegrass top names of today. Must say i like very much not so sugar-coated country music.
BTW just got home from cinema from Walk the Line movie, warmly recommend.
I have a couple of CDs by her---she and her band Union Station do great vocal harmonies.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Next

Return to Music - Other Artists