Who will take over after the old bands??

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccastheman » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:10 pm

I don't know if "Stadium Rock" or even "Arena Rock" will be around 20 years from now, but I do think some artists have staying power - they might be playing theaters as opposed to stadiums and arenas, but there are a few out there. Peter Buck of R.E.M. recently said rock today is sort of like jazz in the '60s - there's a lot of great things going on out there, it just isn't mainstream. I think hip-hop has basically taken over the mainstream.

That being said, there are a few bands/artists that I think will be around for a while:

Beck
Radiohead
Damon Albarn (Whether it's with Blur or Gorillaz, I think he has staying power because he's not afriad to try new things and he's very clever)
Wilco/Jeff Tweedy
The Arcade Fire

Although he's been around a while, I still see Prince selling out arenas for the next decade at least. He sold out two night at the American Airlines Center here in Dallas a couple of years ago

Oasis just had a great comeback in America - Heck, they sold out Madison Square Garden

I see R.E.M. reuniting with original drummer Bill Berry in a couple of years and selling out arenas all over the U.S. - Their music has a timeless quality to it, and I just think they are going through a lull in popularity right now. I can easily see them having a major comeback. (Like Prince did a couple of years ago)

I don't know what's going to happen with Coldplay.

I think Travis/Fran Healey are going to continue making great records, and there will be a cult of people still listening.

I'm beginning to like Keane more and more these days, and I have high hopes for their new album, but I don't know what kind of staying power they have. - but it's sort of like what Peter Buck was saying - they are a great band, just not massively popular right now.

I'm afraid Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, The Scissor Sisters, and all of those other retro bands are going to be remembered only for a couple of hit singles, which is a shame because they wrote such great, catchy songs. I really like "Do You Want To" by Franz, but it just seems more of the same new wave/retro music which was already on their debut album.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:21 pm

I have faith in the future of rock after System of a Down came out with Hypnotize. New Red Hot Chili Peppers album is due out this year too. There's still plenty of good stuff, you've just got to turn your radio and your tv.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby 2 of 3 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:55 pm

It's been mentioned here before, but as a band, especially today...you've got to put out the odd hit record to get that legendary status. You can release all the esoteric artsy fartsy stuff you want, and have a huge cult following...but if the ordinary Joe can't name one of your songs...then you aren't there yet. It took REM quite a few albums before they started stringing together some hits...still a great band for sure, but they moved into a different status with a few hit records. Chile Peppers is another good example...where would they be without Give It Away? Still a great band...but without the universal recognition. Oasis too....pounded out a bunch of hits...years ago....and even though they just put out a great new cd...they are filling arenas because of those hits.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:36 pm

ProgRocker wrote:What about Radiohead? They're very creative and push musical boundaries that have never been explored before. OK Computer and Kid A were brilliant albums. But I agree; there's a lack of current talented rock bands out there.

Is it a lack of talent or a lack of support and Public Relations from the record companies?

You can only sell so many records from club gigs and the truck of your car.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:43 am

2 of 3 wrote:It's been mentioned here before, but as a band, especially today...you've got to put out the odd hit record to get that legendary status. You can release all the esoteric artsy fartsy stuff you want, and have a huge cult following...but if the ordinary Joe can't name one of your songs...then you aren't there yet. It took REM quite a few albums before they started stringing together some hits...still a great band for sure, but they moved into a different status with a few hit records. Chile Peppers is another good example...where would they be without Give It Away? Still a great band...but without the universal recognition. Oasis too....pounded out a bunch of hits...years ago....and even though they just put out a great new cd...they are filling arenas because of those hits.

I would argue that the market has changed over the last 15 years - the singles market is less important. The singles market is the domain of the Crazy Frog and one-off hip hop wonders and boy bands. Rock bands don't 'need' hit singles any more. Well, I should correct that - they only need one hit single - for that initial exposure. After that, their albums do the rest of the work. They can rest on their laurels, provided the albums continue to pull the fans.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby ANGRY » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:21 am

i think historically speaking, that if any of us were to pick up a copy of some massive tome (say one by billboard, RS, or even NME) which listed all the hit songs, for the last 40 years (detailed, even to each specific country) we would be shocked at what actually WAS popular as compared to what we BELIEVE was popular.
look at some who've posted items on who won the year Abbey Road was out, etc.
the current trends, from hip hop/rap to kelly clarkson, (et al) to bands that come and go, is absolutely nothing new.
some are light and airy, adding nothing but a tossaway sheen, some will create eddys that will reverberate to other artists.
there is just no way to predict it.
eventually, someone will re-invent the wheel, leave all us old fogies behind ( tho, a few will fake it really well !)...meanwhile...enjoy the ride...!
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Oasis

Postby mariopv74 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:14 pm

OASIS ...!!!!!!

The Gallaghers rule ....!!!!!
Mad fer it .....
mariopv74

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:52 pm

Enough already, we all know you love OASIS. In fact the only time you have posted was to hail your Oasis. That isn't the problem, the problem I can see is that you are dissing McCartney every chance you get. Try to contribute positively, you aren't making any friends by dissing McCartney/Beatles. Put it this way, if there wasn't a Paul McCartney there wouldn't have been "The Beatles" and the impact in pop culture, well would not have happened and something closer to your world, Oasis would not have had anyone to copy.
Mike

Postby Lazarus_2 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:13 pm

I think we'll wait to we get to the bridge before we should consider crossing it.
and anyways as Dylan sung in Ain't Talkin' I'll burn that bridge before you can cross.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby chris » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:00 pm

welcome back, laz...you've been missed here. good to hear from you again.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists