Non-Macca CD of the Moment

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:56 pm

Yep..this release was handed to me by my uncle (he's about 5 years older and A huge bb fan)...I loved it from the get-go...Holland has some nice stuff as well from the 72-73 era, if you don't have it...
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:04 pm

And don't forget Sunflower. Some GREAT Dennis Wilson songs on there!!
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:10 pm

Steve-o wrote:Holland has some nice stuff as well from the 72-73 era, if you don't have it...
Oh yeah, love Holland---Surf's Up put me on a BB bender, I started collecting everything after that. There were some interesting live versions of Holland stuff on the '73 double album BB in Concert too.

Back aways I was swapping posts with mtm about seeing some of the guys from The Band and The Byrds play live in Arkansas in the mid-80s. Blondie Chaplin was with them too, who played lead guitar on Holland and the Live album. I got to talk with him some and I did tell him that I really dug the Holland/Live album licks. He was very approachable and appreciative. I was tripping on that for months!
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:14 pm

Ram1 wrote:And don't forget Sunflower. Some GREAT Dennis Wilson songs on there!!
WADDATION. Indespensible, Ramburger. :)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Ram1 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:18 pm

theDingle wrote:
Back aways I was swapping posts with mtm about seeing some of the guys from The Band and The Byrds play live in Arkansas in the mid-80s. Blondie Chaplin was with them too, who played lead guitar on Holland and the Live album. I got to talk with him some and I did tell him that I really dug the Holland/Live album licks. He was very approachable and appreciative. I was tripping on that for months!

Cool 'fo, Dingle. In the 80s, when I lived in Pittsburgh, BB came to town. My dad worked dowtown and was on the elevator with none other than Carl Wilson. Unfortunately, my dad had no idea who he was, lol. When Carl got off the 'vator, another gentleman who was on there turned to my dad and said, "Do you know who that was?? It was Carl Wilson from The Beach Boys!!" My dad kicked himself for not knowing and not asking for his autograph for me. Of course, being the immature, bratty kid I was, I was kinda upset with pops, lol. But I suppose things always come full circle....A while later, my dad took me and a friend of mine to our first concert....you guessed it...THE BEACH BOYS!! 8)
Ram1

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:25 pm

Ram1 wrote:My dad worked dowtown and was on the elevator with none other than Carl Wilson.

WOAH. Carl sang like a frickin' angel. I don't have 'em anymore, but he had some killer vocal performances on his solo albums. Miss that dude.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Ram1 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:29 pm

theDingle wrote: Miss that dude.

WAD, Dingly-doo. In my opinion, The Beach Boys were over when Carl died. In all honesty, I think they're a JOKE now. The only members are Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, backed by like a 12-member band. It's ridiculous. Even Al Jardine quit. I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna pay to see 2 Beach Boys. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to see the full lineup. (Without Bri and Dennis, of course.)
Ram1

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:44 pm

Ram1 wrote: In my opinion, The Beach Boys were over when Carl died. In all honesty, I think they're a JOKE now. The only members are Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, backed by like a 12-member band. It's ridiculous. Even Al Jardine quit. I'm sorry, but I'm not gonna pay to see 2 Beach Boys. I'm glad I was fortunate enough to see the full lineup. (Without Bri and Dennis, of course.)

I totally agree, lucky you in getting to see them when they were the real McCoy. I suppose the 2 still gotta earn a living though.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby Ram1 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:55 pm

theDingle wrote:I suppose the 2 still gotta earn a living though.

Very true. It's just "saddening", IMHO, to see Mike and Bruce up there these days. It almost seems like they are an oldies lounge act or something. It sucks to see talented musicians/performers from the 60s/70s looking like grandpas with their pot-bellies and socks up to their knees. Meanwhile, there's people like Macca, Neil Young, even The Stones, etc still hip as ever.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:29 am

I was lucky enough to see them in 1973 and in 1975. They were the lead act for the Doobie Bros and then the opener Steely dan...2 fun concerts, WAD. At the Doobie show, the BB blew them outta the joint...for the Steely/BB, it was great all around. Dennis was drumming at both shows back then, but they had 2 drummers, since I think Dennis was a tad unreliable at that point. Carl wore a real cheesy jumpsuit that didnt do his physique much good sitting behind the keyboard at the Steely show, but he sang like a bird that night. That was around the time they made the double live album. Songs like Marcella, etc...great show. SteelyDan were touring behind Pretzel logic...what a great show THAT was. The show that I missed going to because my mom said I was too young (I was about 9) was a 1965 show that my uncle got to go to....he chirped about that one for months, lol. That was back in the striped shirt days, but Big bri was at least there. I'm def in a BB mode today for some reason....can you tell?
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists