Best Opening Acts You've Seen

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Best Opening Acts You've Seen

Postby maccastheman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Don't know if this topic has been started, but I didn't see one from the past 4 years or so. Thought I would start a new one.

I know a lot of times we wish we didn't have to sit through them, but sometimes they surprise you. Who are some of the most memorable opening acts you've seen?

I'll start:

The Black Keys opening for Arcade Fire in 2005. I'll admit I didn't know who they were at the time but their intensity really impressed me. They've clearly come a long way, too. (Incidentally they were also on the same stage as Macca at Coachella in 2008 - I saw that, too, but my anticipation for Macca and frustration that Leonard Cohen was playing on a different stage kind of dampered that particular performance)

Josh Ritter opening for Jamie Cullum in 2006. I wasn't familiar with his work at the time either but after seeing him I checked out some of his records. He had a great stage presence and he does a great job chanelling his influences - Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Dylan, etc. I love the songs "Kathleen" and "Golden Age of Radio."

Suede opening for David Bowie in 2002. Being from America I wasn't that familiar with Suede but Brett Anderson and co. were fun to watch.

Locksley opening for Ray Davies in 2008. Very fun retro, British Invasion-styled band from America. Great pop songs.

The Pretenders opening for the Who in 2006. Chrissie Hynde doesn't disappoint. Ever. She could even open for Macca.

Muse opening for U2 in 2010. Lots of energy.

Ryan Shaw opening for Joss Stone in 2007. Great young southern R&B singer - had a very old school Wilson Pickett/Otis Redding style.

Dan Penn & Spooner Oldham opening for Nick Lowe in 1998. Talk about bang for the buck. These guys have written so many great songs and played on so many great R&B records they were worth the price of admission alone. And the ticket was only $16! Plus I got to chat with all of them after the show. Nick Lowe was so gracious and Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham were so down to earth. Man that was fun.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Best Opening Acts You've Seen

Postby chris » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:40 pm

great thread.

marshal crenshaw opened for ringo in what was probably the very first ringo and his all-starr tour.

bad company opened for deep purple one year.

i saw lenny kravitz open for tom petty. this was back when kravitz was new...and i thought he had a beatle-y sound. kravitz also opened for the stones at soldier field, no one cared. i think i was the only one listening.

and maybe the all time concert opening act highlight...saw buddy guy, the fabulous thunderbirds, robert cray and stevie ray vaughn open for eric clapton. would have been one of the greatest music nights of my like if it weren't so foggy and SRV hadn't died that night in a helicopter crash leaving the venue.

i'm embarrassed. i've seen over 100 concerts. many opening acts were great. memory is less great.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02 pm

Man, that's unreal you were at that Eric Clapton/SRV show. I can imagine how torn you must feel over it. I bet the music was amazing.

I really liked "It Ain't Over 'til It's Over" when it first came out. I even still have the cassette single, lol. Hard to believe they once made those. I have to be in the right mood for Kravitz. It's cool you got to see him early on.

Yeah - I know what you mean about memory failing. There's lots of opening acts I've seen that simply weren't that memorable, but if I went back in time I might like them today.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby blmeanie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:10 am

my first concert I attended was Billy Idol in a small theater type venue in Worcester, Ma. The opening act was Til Tuesday (unknown at the time). Awesome show.
blmeanie

Postby EddieV » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:34 am

[quote="maccastheman"

The Black Keys opening for Arcade Fire in 2005. I'll admit I didn't know who they were at the time but their intensity really impressed me. They've clearly come a long way, too. (Incidentally they were also on the same stage as Macca at Coachella in 2008 - I saw that, too, but my anticipation for Macca and frustration that Leonard Cohen was playing on a different stage kind of dampered that particular performance)

[quote]

The Black Keys opened for Pearl Jam

Yes Pretenders would be great as opener for Macca!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:56 pm

I'm in the wrong company. I have only seen a handful of concerts in my life time. I saw Bob Segar and Michael Bolton opened when he was wearing leather and splitting ear drums. I saw Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac, Quick Silver Messenger Service, Rita Coolige and Kris Kristoferson. Macca lots of times. But I can't remember whether any of these had an opening act except for Segar, of course. OH! I saw J. Geils too. I saw a group in high school in La Porte, TX by the name of the Sound Investment too. But opening acts? Can't remember.

Must be age and all the anti inflammatories I took early in my adult life.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:03 pm

About ten years ago, I saw Bob Dylan open a show for Phil Lesh!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Good question...hmmm?...not sure of the years but....Sheryl Crow opening for Crowded House. She was terrific. Sarah McLachlan opening for Sting..again...pretty great. The best though was..I know, I know..but Chris DeBurg opened for Supertramp and the crowd loved him so much, he actually had to stay out and play along with most of Supertramps set. He also did a killer Here Comes The Sun.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists